Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

Default Saving music and movies to SD card

Has anyone had issues copying or moving music and movies from the s5's internal storage to the SD card?

Coming from a nexus 5 to the s5, I haven't had to face these new kitkat related SD cards yet. Whenever I try to copy movies I've downloaded onto the phones internal storage through an app like tubemate and place them on the SD card, the copying or moving fails. I'm using apps like ASTRO and esfile manager.

Any tips?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

Default Re: Saving music and movies to SD card

I'm able to move music and movies around using a computer. So at least that's something.

Can you try moving them with Nexus Media Importer or Total Commander? If you have to pay for those you can get a refund if you try it right away and it doesn't work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Can you try moving them with Nexus Media Importer or Total Commander? If you have to pay for those you can get a refund if you try it right away and it doesn't work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for the suggestions but total commander didn't work and I couldn't figure out how to use nexus media importer hehe.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by chr1sny View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions but total commander didn't work and I couldn't figure out how to use nexus media importer hehe.
    Wow. If you can't move media from the internal storage to the SD in the phone that is crazy. I wonder if it's a further measure to discourage p2p file sharing.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

I am having the same issue. I tried moving a downloaded file to the SD card and it failed. Tried saving a reddit post on bacon reader to the SD card and failed. Copied SD card content to computer and formated SD card, moved data back. Insert card and reads. Still cannot write to SD card. Card is working. Cannot figure it out.

Sent from my SM-G900P using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SlackBlade View Post
    I am having the same issue. I tried moving a downloaded file to the SD card and it failed. Tried saving a reddit post on bacon reader to the SD card and failed. Copied SD card content to computer and formated SD card, moved data back. Insert card and reads. Still cannot write to SD card. Card is working. Cannot figure it out.

Sent from my SM-G900P using AC Forums mobile app
    The only workaround I've found without rooting is to move the files using a computer and USB connection. Seems you can't use apps on the phone to transfer files from internal to external storage.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,732 Global Posts

S5 doesn't have a stock file explorer preinstalled? This would have full write access to the SD card.

Sent from my ME302KL using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    S5 doesn't have a stock file explorer preinstalled? This would have full write access to the SD card.

Sent from my ME302KL using Tapatalk
    Yeah I just copied a .jpg from the internal storage to the SD card with the stock file manager. No problems whatsoever.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by jonebk12 View Post
    Yeah I just copied a .jpg from the internal storage to the SD card with the stock file manager. No problems whatsoever.
    How do you access the "stock file manager? For moving pictures, must one set up a folder on the SD card and what should it be named? When moving music, the same question, what should the music folder be named?

Only the stock file explorer app works when moving files. Why is that? Is it something that the third party apps have to fix or is it a limitation thing from Samsung?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,732 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adlebo View Post
    Only the stock file explorer app works when moving files. Why is that? Is it something that the third party apps have to fix or is it a limitation thing from Samsung?

Limitation on kit kat from google. 3rd party apps can only access their own folder on the sd card for security purposes. A preinstalled file explorer is a system app and thus can access the whole sd.

Quote Originally Posted by SlackBlade View Post
    I am having the same issue. I tried moving a downloaded file to the SD card and it failed...Still cannot write to SD card. Card is working. Cannot figure it out.
    Actually not that hard to figure out. This is KitKat on the S5 right? The folks over in the S4 boards are po'd about this with good reason. To summarize:

With KitKat Google is enforcing their SD Card security policy introduced earlier but removed by Samsung. All 3rd party apps are now restricted to writing to one specific folder (and sub-folders) on the external card: com.appinstallname. They can read anything from any folder but they can no longer write anywhere. The built in Google apps don't have that restriction so the built-in MyFiles app can move files anywhere on the external card but apps like ES File Explorer and Total Commander cannot. Lots of apps that create a custom folder on the card just need to be updated to use the new folder (and for those updating to 4.4 provide a method to copy existing data with no automated way to delete the original) but apps that modify another apps data may be permanently broke. There may be a way to use a different function to manipulate MEDIA files in other folders but not other file types.

There is a petition started but Google has already stated they are not backing down on this. This is all because the FAT format doesn't directly support ownership and this was the method Google chose to increase security. There were other ways like maintaining a share database and asking the user "app b requesting write access to app a's files--allow?" but they didn't. The conspiracy folks think it's part of Google's plan to make everyone use internal memory or cloud storage and their accompanying $$$ and they could be right.

Rooted users can make a simple change to one security file and put everything back the way it was.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Limitation on kit kat from google. 3rd party apps can only access their own folder on the sd card for security purposes. A preinstalled file explorer is a system app and thus can access the whole sd.
    So if I root and force es fIle explorer to be a system app then it'll work, right?

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
    How do you access the "stock file manager? For moving pictures, must one set up a folder on the SD card and what should it be named? When moving music, the same question, what should the music folder be named?
    Check your apps. It's called "My Files." I suppose you don't have to create separate folders for pictures, music, etc. but you might want to do so just for organization's sake. Doesn't matter what you name the folders.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,732 Global Posts

So if I root and force es fIle explorer to be a system app then it'll work, right?

There is definitely a root workaround for this. I haven't done it myself so I can't comment but I have seen articles.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    480 Global Posts

The default file manager "My Files" worked well! Thanks everyone!

Or just modify one configuration file to allow everyone write access like before. Now you don't even have to manually do that; just root and run the following app--it will modify the file for you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=nextapp.sdfix
    Thanked by:
    adlebo 

Quote Originally Posted by JudH View Post
    Or just modify one configuration file to allow everyone write access like before. Now you don't even have to manually do that; just root and run the following app--it will modify the file for you.

Just downloaded and ran the app. It took about five seconds and now I can use my sd card like before. Thanks to this very simple app. It's worth rooting just to fix this kit kat sd card issue!

Once rooted, what security file do I change to save files from any app any where?

I'm a bit of a newbie to the android world, however I have had luck with using the Galaxy S5 Kies program [ Kies ]

Hope it helps some of you.

Quote Originally Posted by JudH View Post

Is this illegal and against the Google or carriers terms of service?

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

Use the Samsung default my files app it's actually pretty good

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 running Android L or Samsung galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by sdsubball23 View Post
    Is this illegal and against the Google or carriers terms of service?

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Certainly not illegal. Probably against Google TOS. Most definitely against your carriers TOS.

-Suntan

I've rooted and used the SD Kitkat fix but my apps still won't install on to my external SD card and movies I move to my SD card stop playing. anyone know how to fix this? A few apps and movies and my Internal storage is completely full. I would like to be able to run everything from my 128GB SD card if possible. thx