Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By robstunner
  • 2 Post By Raptor007
  • 1 Post By robstunner
  • 2 Post By Raptor007
  • 1 Post By atg284
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,869 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

Default Galaxy S5: So Much Bloatware

Coming from the Nexus line of phones... I'm not used to all the bloatware. I read somewhere that the S5 is actually light on it. However... I love this phone. It's certainly a powerhouse.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
    Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    914 Global Posts

Default Re: So Much Bloatware

You can disable all of it (at least on my att model) so your complaint is kinda null

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    crester likes this.

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

Yeah, the Sprint one allowed me to disable or uninstall it's bloat. Had over 10 GB left over internally.

Global Posts
    5,220 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

We can disable it, but it shouldn't be there in the first place. Carriers should a) follow Google's lead and make their crapware something we d/l IF WE WANT IT (never going to happen), and b) the OEM's should make it so we can remove it completely and if necessary we should be able to restore the device back to factory settings with the device image the same way apple does it.
    planoman and Greg C like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    We can disable it, but it shouldn't be there in the first place. Carriers should a) follow Google's lead and make their crapware something we d/l IF WE WANT IT (never going to happen), and b) the OEM's should make it so we can remove it completely and if necessary we should be able to restore the device back to factory settings with the device image the same way apple does it.
    If we they had to follow what google does, it will make google more like apple. If you dont want bloat, and dont want to disable it, than get a nexus
    Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    914 Global Posts

Considering we weren't even able to disable bloat in previous devices I'd say we should just be thankful we can now. If it's such a concern then just don't buy the device. It's a easily remedied problem.

sweetypie31 likes this.

Global Posts
    5,220 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by ab304945 View Post
    If we they had to follow what google does, it will make google more like apple. If you dont want bloat, and dont want to disable it, than get a nexus
    Your logic is way off on that one. First of all I am paying for the service AND the phone, if I pay retail its mine period. If I pay as I go on their Edge/Next/Jump or whatever they call it, its still mine I am just paying it off over time, even if I sign a 2 year contract its mine. I am paying for service. Bottom line is requiring OEM's and Carriers to make bloatware removable is something we deserve. I don't buy Nexus phones because frankly they are not the best choices around. I bought one once and not again. They lack real storage, no microSD, no swappable battery and overall (at this time I am on Verizon) nothing for the network I am leaving for greener GSM/LTE pastures on AT&T where I can use any phone I want when I want.

I don't need a nexus but I do deserve to remove the crap that is loaded on. Imagine you lease or buy a car but the stereo is locked to certain channels for 2 years because the dealer struck a deal with some radio stations would you want that. Or you can only use iPods in your car with their cable and no other MP3 player because apple paid them to do it.

I should NOT be subjected to bloatware because Verizon got paid to load it on my device. The carrier bloat I don't care as much about because I use some of it and disable the rest. What I had are the paid apps that the carrier loads since they got cash. They are double dipping the chip here, money from us, money from sponsors.
    Thanked by 2:
    Greg C and Dizfunctions like this.

Global Posts
    5,220 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by robstunner View Post
    Considering we weren't even able to disable bloat in previous devices I'd say we should just be thankful we can now. If it's such a concern then just don't buy the device. It's a easily remedied problem.

Amazing logic, so I guess you don't buy lots of things you want just because it comes with something you don't like. You choices must be limited. So in your mind the fact that we are still stuck with losing space on the phone is just fine because we can disable and hide it. Well Google could just go the extra step like they did on KK4.4.2 with microSD and let us remove apps all together. The OEM's do release the software images for recovery and if you are using the stock file you should be able to reflash right back to stock.

Quote Originally Posted by atg284 View Post
    Yeah, the Sprint one allowed me to disable or uninstall it's bloat. Had over 10 GB left over internally.
    With my T-Mobile S5 it looks like I can disable but none of them allow me to uninstall.

Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    With my T-Mobile S5 it looks like I can disable but none of them allow me to uninstall.
    Hummm...I'm on Sprint and I was able to uninstall almost everything. There were just 1 or 2 things I could not. I'm pleased with that. I thought you could with T-mobile one as well :/
    Greg C likes this.

I know we all dismiss WP but you can delete any app and all bloat ware easily. The first thing I did was delete all the ATT apps that take up space on my Lumia 925. Not sure why android is the only OS that allows the carriers to do this with a disable only option? I have never used an ATT app except VVM. We should be able to delete and claim the storage space. When I updated my Moto X to 4.4.2 it loaded ISIS on my phone. If I wanted ISIS I would download it myself. I use Google Wallet, not ISIS and all I could do was disable it.

If you are paying full retail and do not want the bloat you can get the LTE compatible S5 which has not carrier bloat. I may look a bit closer once the 32GB models hit.
    Nexus 6 (64GB), Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    1,869 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

No.. my complaint isn't "null." Of course you can disable most of it, but guess what... it's still on my device taking up space that.. for a flagship phone.. is on the low side at only 16mb.

You can disable all of it (at least on my att model) so your complaint is kinda null

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    1,869 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

You were able to DELETE much of it? You are fortunate!

Quote Originally Posted by atg284 View Post
    Hummm...I'm on Sprint and I was able to uninstall almost everything. There were just 1 or 2 things I could not. I'm pleased with that. I thought you could with T-mobile one as well :/
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    1,869 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

Very well put.

Your logic is way off on that one. First of all I am paying for the service AND the phone, if I pay retail its mine period. If I pay as I go on their Edge/Next/Jump or whatever they call it, its still mine I am just paying it off over time, even if I sign a 2 year contract its mine. I am paying for service. Bottom line is requiring OEM's and Carriers to make bloatware removable is something we deserve. I don't buy Nexus phones because frankly they are not the best choices around. I bought one once and not again. They lack real storage, no microSD, no swappable battery and overall (at this time I am on Verizon) nothing for the network I am leaving for greener GSM/LTE pastures on AT&T where I can use any phone I want when I want.

I don't need a nexus but I do deserve to remove the crap that is loaded on. Imagine you lease or buy a car but the stereo is locked to certain channels for 2 years because the dealer struck a deal with some radio stations would you want that. Or you can only use iPods in your car with their cable and no other MP3 player because apple paid them to do it.

I should NOT be subjected to bloatware because Verizon got paid to load it on my device. The carrier bloat I don't care as much about because I use some of it and disable the rest. What I had are the paid apps that the carrier loads since they got cash. They are double dipping the chip here, money from us, money from sponsors.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    1,869 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

Yeah.. "easily remedied" by buying another device loaded with bloatware.

Android Connoisseur

Global Posts
    914 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Yeah.. "easily remedied" by buying another device loaded with bloatware.
    So you just want to complain instead either disabling it or getting a phone where u can delete bloat (iphone, nexus, windows phone )