Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cardboard60
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5: Anyone coming from an iPhone 5s?

I have a 5s 32gb and I'm thinking of making the switch. Anyone else do this? I have my reservations about the phone but I got to actually hold it today and was really impressed and didn't think I would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-13-2014 at 12:32 AM.

Default Re: Anyone coming from a 5s?

So glad I switched from my 5s to the S5

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Quote Originally Posted by Jtshurtleff View Post
    I have a 5s 32gb and I'm thinking of making the switch. Anyone else do this? I have my reservations about the phone but I got to actually hold it today and was really impressed and didn't think I would be.

I'm not coming from a 5S, but that is what I have as a work phone. Just like with any other Android device, it's just different. I prefer Android to iOS, which is why my personal phone is not an iPhone.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    20blks 

Global Posts
    773 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bespinct View Post
    I'm not coming from a 5S, but that is what I have as a work phone. Just like with any other Android device, it's just different. I prefer Android to iOS, which is why my personal phone is not an iPhone.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Thanks. Many apple users need to hear from someone like you 👍👍👍👍👍

Switched from 5s to nexus 5 and then to s5. Will never go back to apple. That ship has sailed. I used to be such an apple fan boy!

Same here. Went and played with the black one today. The back on the black one feels different than the white one, more rubbery. I don't know if that is the actual case or not. The display is pretty amazing; definitely better than the iPhone 5S. I like the size- actually it was about perfect. I don;t have big hands but I could use it one-handed. I didn't try out the Fingerprint Sensor but I heard people in the store saying it was really down to how you had it set up. The IP67 rating makes the phone super attractive. Especially as we are pretty active around water starting this month through Oct. I'v replaced an iPhone 5S because it got dropped in the drink once already. Thank goodness for AppleCare+.
    My only issue was Touchwiz. I don't really care for the way it looks. I am thinking of getting the phone but I may wait to see what happens with the Sony Xperia Z2. I like that phone better but I also don't want to buy it from overseas. I'll wait until May and see what happens. If the Z2 doesn't come this way I may get one. I've thought about waiting fro the iPhone 6 but the IP rating is much needed.

I also prefer Android but my Nexus 5 is about to be taken over by my wife!

Global Posts
    743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

What is your primary dislike of TouchWiz? If its the launcher, why not run a different one?

I had a Iphone 5 and went to the S5.
    Was worried about the bigger screen. But after talking to the samsung rep and working with the phone since yesterday morning.
    I too am glad I got the S5
    And thanks to whomever posted it. I found the piece of plastic over the camera lens. Tripped me out
    And I got the Platinum case and belt clip for it. Slim and really work great.
    Thanked by:
    Christopher Salse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bespinct View Post
    What is your primary dislike of TouchWiz? If its the launcher, why not run a different one?

+1

The beauty of a more open OS. Tune it any way you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtshurtleff View Post

I did. I love the S5... and I love the 5S. Both are great devices.

I switched love the s5 and Android. The 5s was nice but too small and limited. Loving the nfc, screen, and how it integrates with my Samsung F8000 hdtv.

I switched from the 5s to the s5 yesterday and so far I'm enjoying the change. I'm still not 100% sure I want to keep the phone though. I find it kind of big with the speck candyshell grip case. But if I keep it I'm almost positive I'll use it without a case as scary as that sounds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

I switched from the 5, and I absolutely love my S5. I picked up my iPhone today and couldn't believe how small and dull it was in comparison. I love being able to customize so many things. I was already trying to use my iPhone like I do my S5, so my old habits have already died

I did! Actually I switched to a HTC yesterday and had for a day and while I was impressed with the features and the fact that is was 32 gigs. I mean the UI is actually cool but I thought it was a little complicated and some reviews suggested. Blink Feed is way to congested. I went back today and checked out the S5's and boy I noticed an immediate difference. Also a turn off of the HTC is the HTC logo PLUS the home icons are basically embedded in the screen and takes up like 1/2 inch of screen. Any back to the subject S5 just blew me away and I plan to take a year off from Apple and check out what they have for the fall. The UI is a lot more simple than the HTC imo and just runs so much smoother. Bottom line I am happy with my S5 and look forward to exploring my new options......
    _X_

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

O_o I read this thread as S5, and thought the phone just can't out who would be leaving it so soon.

Anyhow the S5 is a solid phone. I might have considered it but I'm happy with my Note 3.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Got my S5 Friday. 5S is still sitting beside me with no sim. There are a few issues with the version of TouchWiz on my version of the phone (G900I) that i'm really not happy about. Worse issue is S Voice from sleep doesn't work. My narrowed choices were the S5 and Moto X but Motorola only released the 16GB here with no SD card so had to go with S5. Really wanted an always on voice control that also comes with the snapdragon 800.

I'm hoping that I can flash an international rom soon as from what I read all my issues aren't there in other versions.

Quote Originally Posted by jaleesag88 View Post
    I switched from the 5s to the s5 yesterday and so far I'm enjoying the change. I'm still not 100% sure I want to keep the phone though. I find it kind of big with the speck candyshell grip case. But if I keep it I'm almost positive I'll use it without a case as scary as that sounds.

Why is that scary? I see no need for a case on this phone.

Quote Originally Posted by thegrants82 View Post
    Why is that scary? I see no need for a case on this phone.

I always somehow manage to drop my phone. I broke my screen on the s4 when I had it last year, but I blame that on the driveway full of rocks it landed in. But I guess I'm just a little cautious about breaking my phones because I really don't want to shell out $199 for a replacement. Then again, that's why I have insurance on my phones in case anything happens.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

I have both. iPhone is work phone. I type faster on it and have certain work apps that I need on iPhone. That said love my android
    I have it customized and I love the widgets and screen size. Call quality better even though both phones are the same carrier.
    I am currently trying out ai keyboard with iPhone skin to see if I can type better.
    Anyway if you don't have mandatory apps I love my android more.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy S5: Anyone coming from an iPhone 5s?

I made the switch being a die heart iPhone 5S lover. I needed a larger screen than the 4" and the Galaxy S5 really impressed me. Screen clarity is awesome! I'm not sure if I'll go back to an iPhone once the the larger screen comes out. The selling features for me was the fingerprint sensor, water and dust proof, larger screen, clarity of screen outdoors vs iPhone. Personally I loved the iOS but the iPhone wasn't a phone unless it was jailbroken.

Quote Originally Posted by gjlamb#CB View Post
    Got my S5 Friday. 5S is still sitting beside me with no sim. There are a few issues with the version of TouchWiz on my version of the phone (G900I) that i'm really not happy about. Worse issue is S Voice from sleep doesn't work. My narrowed choices were the S5 and Moto X but Motorola only released the 16GB here with no SD card so had to go with S5. Really wanted an always on voice control that also comes with the snapdragon 800.

I'm hoping that I can flash an international rom soon as from what I read all my issues aren't there in other versions.
    Moto x is awesome but the camera is bad...very very very bad.