S5 overheating

mango1228

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi
Got my s5 friday. Love the device. Only problem the screen and back get fire hot.

The phone was on 41 deg celcius yesterday (104+) and 39 this morning
Went from 28deg this morning to 38.9 in 12 min of use

What would be considered a normal running temp on a device like this.

Could it be the battery that is faulty

Posted via Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi
Got my s5 friday. Love the device. Only problem the screen and back get fire hot.

41 is not considered too hot. Have you noticed issues like random reboots, shut downs, very sluggish performance or anything like that? Have any warnings popped up on the screen telling you that it's too hot, or the LED flashing at all? Does it charge normally when you plug it in?

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Early yesterday morning mine was hot on the front and back as well. At around 10 am it was back to normal and its been fine ever since.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
If you can cook and egg or make toast on it then I would worry, but otherwise you should be ok. Though I suspect you are concerned about the life expectancy of the device if its running hot all the time which is a valid point. If it keeps up get it replaced asap before the 14 day window so you get a new unit and not a refurbished one a few months from now.

DensoDuck

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I went to my phone supplier today as my new phone was running damn hot! They suggested I remove Dr Battery Saver as it could be causing a conflict as the S5 has a battery manager built in..... S5 now running cool and holding power.

Dave S54Me

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Had My S5 for 3 days now charging it and it seems to be very warm when charging.. ALso the Batter is suppose to be long and I have very little turned on and it's about the same as my IPHONE4 maybe a whole day or 28 hours.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Had My S5 for 3 days now charging it and it seems to be very warm when charging.. ALso the Batter is suppose to be long and I have very little turned on and it's about the same as my IPHONE4 maybe a whole day or 28 hours.

That's pretty good battery life considering how much more the phone is doing (and the larger screen).

If the phone is still functioning fine while charging it's probably not worth worrying about.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Overheating is when the heat causes the phone to die / reboot / shut itself off. In your case, it just gets warm - all phones with Qualcomm 800 + 801 processors get fairly warm

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
My iPad 3 is a frying pan ........ Devices get heat up and no need to worry unless it causes reboots or other issues.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

RennieDowns

May 15, 2014
Visit site
It is very common problem in most of the smartphones. I have the same problem with my new S5, It can overheat when radio-heavy apps like Maps and Pandora run too long but they rarely get hot enough to burn skin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2