Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help on extending lock screen timeout

Hi All,

Upgraded from S3 to S5. I am very happy with S5 overall and have everything customized as I want except one issue. I cannot figure out how to get the lock screen to stop from turning off after 1 or 1..5 seconds. I hardly have time to use the fingerprint scanner because the screen turns off so quickly. I have tried turning off all power settings and have changed the timeouts everywhere else to 6 seconds to 1 minute but I cannot figure out how to extend the lockscreen timeout.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Dean
    peter9553 likes this.

Global Posts
    795 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Default Re: Help on extending lock screen timeout

I didn't measure it, but my lock screen stays on for at least five seconds with out any changes.

Are you double pressing the button when you are unlocking?

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I feel dumb as that keeps it on for 5 seconds. However, I push the power button. Part of the issue is I have the owner info on the screen and I would like for a total stranger to be able to see the info if I left it somewhere and someone honest found it. I also have always used the power button to turn my phone back on so it would be nice if there is a way to have the screen stay on for 10 seconds or more with either the power button or the home button.

Thanks,
    Dean

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dean290000 View Post
    I feel dumb as that keeps it on for 5 seconds. However, I push the power button. Part of the issue is I have the owner info on the screen and I would like for a total stranger to be able to see the info if I left it somewhere and someone honest found it. I also have always used the power button to turn my phone back on so it would be nice if there is a way to have the screen stay on for 10 seconds or more with either the power button or the home button.

Thanks,
    Dean
    You can change the timeout under the Lockscreen settings .Same place you entered your Owner info .
    appliancemedic likes this.

Thanks,
    Dean
    I was actually thinking the same thing. I have it defaulted to two minutes for the screen to turn off. But the lock screen turns off super quickly.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
    You can change the timeout under the Lockscreen settings .Same place you entered your Owner info .
    Unless I am missing something, you can only change the time the screen stays on until it locks. Once the screen is locked, it does not stay on very long even with the double home button.
    I suspect the reason is that they don't want pocket presses to kill battery life. However, at least the S3 had a pocket protection mode that would keep the screen from coming on while in your pocket.

I feel sure there is a way to make the Lock Screen to stay on longer and it should come on thee same amount of time when you press the power button. Samsung does know that they are going to get a lot of S3 users upgrading to the S5 because people who got the S3 during the firt month are now eligible for the subsidized upgrade with most carriers.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Having the same frustration with this. from my lock screen I will often pull down the notification panel to see new messages... on the s4 I had time to glance and make the decision wither or not I needed to slide to unlock or ignore what was there. with the 5s I barely have time to swipe and enter my pin before it blacks out again. Anyone else have any idea how or/if this is adjustable?

Under setting, go to 'lock screen'. Under lock screen, scroll down to the bottom. Look for "secured lock time". Change to desired time. Then also under settings, go to "display". Under display, find "screen timeout. Change to desired time.
    appliancemedic likes this.

Make sure you uncheck "Lock instantly with power key", otherwise it will always lock your screen.

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandbane View Post
    Under setting, go to 'lock screen'. Under lock screen, scroll down to the bottom. Look for "secured lock time". Change to desired time. Then also under settings, go to "display". Under display, find "screen timeout. Change to desired time.
    I think the first setting you mentioned about is the time between the screen going off (if you don't use the phone) and then locking the phone. This is the case on 4.3 Note 2, just saying.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Not what I'm looking for.

Lock your device, press the power button to bring up the lock screen. How long does it stay backlit? Mine times out/goes black in about 1.5 seconds. GS4 gives me about 4 sec...

I just turned on smart stay, fixed this issue for me...

There is no "screen timeout" in the setting under the "lock screen" on my verizon model of the S5 .

You can also turn on smart stay under display. Which helps a little.
    Thanked by:

Do you have power save mode enabled? That significantly decreases the amount of time the lock screen stays on.
    Thanked by:

That's what I noticed. With power saving enabled time out is about 2 seconds. With power saving disabled time out is about 7-8 seconds. Still dumb it's not adjustable.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    Make sure you uncheck "Lock instantly with power key", otherwise it will always lock your screen.
    Thanks. I believe this is where I had the issue. The only downside is that your screen can stay on and eat up battery with this setting..

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

Yup. I don't see it either. So silly, Samsung adds to much useless crap in their phone, but won't let you change some useful things.

Quote Originally Posted by chriskatana View Post
    Not what I'm looking for.

Lock your device, press the power button to bring up the lock screen. How long does it stay backlit? Mine times out/goes black in about 1.5 seconds. GS4 gives me about 4 sec...

I just turned on smart stay, fixed this issue for me...
    Glad you found a work-around. I was just fixin' to suggest that

Thanks. I believe this is where I had the issue. The only downside is that your screen can stay on and eat up battery with this setting..
    What do you have your screen timeout set to? I have mine on 2 minutes

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Much better if you read the manual/guide of your phone.

Chriskatana,

Thanks so much! Nothing else changes this. This works on my Verizon S5. Stayed lit as long as I was looking at the phone.

Verizon S5 does not have this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by 1THz View Post
    Verizon S5 does not have this feature.
    Which feature?

Screen only goes off if you're not looking at it

Ok the power save is the issue and bare in mind this is a new touch wiz so things are different
    if you don't have a S5 then its pointless commenting
    but they do need to put a adjuster in that just warns you that it may drain battery
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast