Help on extending lock screen timeout

dean290000

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Upgraded from S3 to S5. I am very happy with S5 overall and have everything customized as I want except one issue. I cannot figure out how to get the lock screen to stop from turning off after 1 or 1..5 seconds. I hardly have time to use the fingerprint scanner because the screen turns off so quickly. I have tried turning off all power settings and have changed the timeouts everywhere else to 6 seconds to 1 minute but I cannot figure out how to extend the lockscreen timeout.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Dean

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I didn't measure it, but my lock screen stays on for at least five seconds with out any changes.

Are you double pressing the button when you are unlocking?

Posted via Android Central App

dean290000

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I feel dumb as that keeps it on for 5 seconds. However, I push the power button. Part of the issue is I have the owner info on the screen and I would like for a total stranger to be able to see the info if I left it somewhere and someone honest found it. I also have always used the power button to turn my phone back on so it would be nice if there is a way to have the screen stay on for 10 seconds or more with either the power button or the home button.

Thanks,
Dean

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I feel dumb as that keeps it on for 5 seconds. However, I push the power button. Part of the issue is I have the owner info on the screen and I would like for a total stranger to be able to see the info if I left it somewhere and someone honest found it. I also have always used the power button to turn my phone back on so it would be nice if there is a way to have the screen stay on for 10 seconds or more with either the power button or the home button.

Thanks,
Dean

You can change the timeout under the Lockscreen settings .Same place you entered your Owner info .

Worlds2See

May 22, 2011
Visit site

Thanks,
Dean

I was actually thinking the same thing. I have it defaulted to two minutes for the screen to turn off. But the lock screen turns off super quickly.

dean290000

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
You can change the timeout under the Lockscreen settings .Same place you entered your Owner info .

Unless I am missing something, you can only change the time the screen stays on until it locks. Once the screen is locked, it does not stay on very long even with the double home button.
I suspect the reason is that they don't want pocket presses to kill battery life. However, at least the S3 had a pocket protection mode that would keep the screen from coming on while in your pocket.

I feel sure there is a way to make the Lock Screen to stay on longer and it should come on thee same amount of time when you press the power button. Samsung does know that they are going to get a lot of S3 users upgrading to the S5 because people who got the S3 during the firt month are now eligible for the subsidized upgrade with most carriers.

chriskatana

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Having the same frustration with this. from my lock screen I will often pull down the notification panel to see new messages... on the s4 I had time to glance and make the decision wither or not I needed to slide to unlock or ignore what was there. with the 5s I barely have time to swipe and enter my pin before it blacks out again. Anyone else have any idea how or/if this is adjustable?

coolhandbane

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Under setting, go to 'lock screen'. Under lock screen, scroll down to the bottom. Look for "secured lock time". Change to desired time. Then also under settings, go to "display". Under display, find "screen timeout. Change to desired time.

StarkillerFIN

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Under setting, go to 'lock screen'. Under lock screen, scroll down to the bottom. Look for "secured lock time". Change to desired time. Then also under settings, go to "display". Under display, find "screen timeout. Change to desired time.

I think the first setting you mentioned about is the time between the screen going off (if you don't use the phone) and then locking the phone. This is the case on 4.3 Note 2, just saying.

chriskatana

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Not what I'm looking for.

Lock your device, press the power button to bring up the lock screen. How long does it stay backlit? Mine times out/goes black in about 1.5 seconds. GS4 gives me about 4 sec...

I just turned on smart stay, fixed this issue for me...

neoviper23

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
That's what I noticed. With power saving enabled time out is about 2 seconds. With power saving disabled time out is about 7-8 seconds. Still dumb it's not adjustable.

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yup. I don't see it either. So silly, Samsung adds to much useless crap in their phone, but won't let you change some useful things.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Not what I'm looking for.

Lock your device, press the power button to bring up the lock screen. How long does it stay backlit? Mine times out/goes black in about 1.5 seconds. GS4 gives me about 4 sec...

I just turned on smart stay, fixed this issue for me...

Glad you found a work-around. I was just fixin' to suggest that :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2