Are you getting a Galaxy Gear 2 (neo) or fit with your S5?

gavinfabl

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I got the Fit. I had the original Galaxy Gear but think the fit looks a lot nicer than new Gear. The Fit doesnt read heart rate all the time, unless you select to go into an exercise mode. I did this today walking for 90 mins on steep mountains. The results were quite good with a lot of info from lowest and max heart rate, speeds, map, altitude range etc... If you want to measure heart rate you can anytime manually.

Definitely impacts battery. But not sure by how much yet.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I don't mean automatically but more along the lines like if I'm riding my bike and going up hill, I'd like to access it and have it monitor my rate as I climb. Can it do that?

As gavinfabl just posted - you can set it into active mode to keep reading it during an exercise session, which is what mostly people really need. I don't have it so I can say for sure, my impression was that to have it work most accurately you need to have it rotated face down (so you would read the dial with your palm/fist facing up).

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I am waiting for the moto 360 to come out. Not necessarily to buy, but to decide. I really don't like all the plastic-y smart watches out right now. I much prefer a classic/elegant look and, from the pictures at least, the 360 with that metal band caters perfectly to my tastes. For any kind of watch, style is almost as important to me as function. If I don't like the look of it, I'm not going to be wearing it and whatever boatload of features are crammed into it won't be used.

My big question will be if the 360 has any fitness tracking features. I don't want two wearables at the same time, so if the moto 360 doesn't have anything decent for fitness tracking I will probably just keep waiting. I could potentially still get the Fit I guess. Even though it's limitations are annoying, I think it looks better than the gear/neo.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I came close to getting the original gear on woot.com for $150 but now I'm glad I didn't. The $ could go towards buying a nice automatic watch.

The panda has spoken

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm really interest in getting the gear 2, but one thing I'm very happy about with the s5 is the phenomenal battery life im getting. I'll have to see the effects others ate having with their gear on the battery of the s5 to see if its utility is worth it for me personally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have been using the Gear 2 and S5 for about a week now and I have tested the hit on the battery. My usage is pretty much the same daily and having the Gear 2 on does not seem to kill the battery much. If so it is very minimal. Make me reach for my phone a little less if anything.

Angel Rodriguez5

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the original gear which I got through and advocacy program. I really enjoy it, though I'll admit that it mostly comes in handy when my phone is charging or during my daily commutes. Its basically a wearable bluetooth speaker for me. S Voice lets me reply to texts, and the gear will read back texts to me if I ask it to. I've used the camera a bit and I found it impressive for quick shots. I was considering selling my gear to get the fit, but the lack of camera and shorter screen is a big trade off for me to just get a smaller gear with ip67 and a heart rate monitor. I'm using a note right now but I'm getting an s5 some time next week and I plan to keep using my gear with it. I will say though, if you dont have a gear, its a handy little wearable. Lets me peek at my emails and texts quickly so I can decide if its worth it to grab my phone. I'm also notorious for losing my phone in my own house and was getting tired of having to have someone call it for me, so the gear has come in handy more than a few times for me. Not for everyone, but I really do like mine.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I got the Fit. I had the original Galaxy Gear but think the fit looks a lot nicer than new Gear. The Fit doesnt read heart rate all the time, unless you select to go into an exercise mode. I did this today walking for 90 mins on steep mountains. The results were quite good with a lot of info from lowest and max heart rate, speeds, map, altitude range etc... If you want to measure heart rate you can anytime manually.

Definitely impacts battery. But not sure by how much yet.

As gavinfabl just posted - you can set it into active mode to keep reading it during an exercise session, which is what mostly people really need. I don't have it so I can say for sure, my impression was that to have it work most accurately you need to have it rotated face down (so you would read the dial with your palm/fist facing up).

Thanks for the info guys!

ssgokou29

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean automatically but more along the lines like if I'm riding my bike and going up hill, I'd like to access it and have it monitor my rate as I climb. Can it do that?

I haven't tried it yet, but i think it should, but not 100% sure as i think you need to be steady, so you'll need to stop take it, then you can continue. Once i give it a go, i'll let ya know.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I haven't tried it yet, but i think it should, but not 100% sure as i think you need to be steady, so you'll need to stop take it, then you can continue. Once i give it a go, i'll let ya know.

Try to see if you can be mobile while taking your rate and for how long. Thanks!

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I wanted too but not available for my carrier, Bell. Rogers includes it for $49.99.

I probably could've waited but patients owns me. LOL

gavinfabl

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you are out riding your bike, best option is to select Exercise mode from menu, and then start. That way whilst riding your bike you will get a constant heart rate measurement. The heart rate monitor is not on permanently, otherwise the battery would go flat fast.

I am writing a review on my blog Gavins Gadgets for Tuesday with plenty of screenshots. But in essence, after I had walked my dogs on Dartmoor for 90 minutes, the S Health app showed me a map of my walk, time walking, distance, number of steps, lowest and highest altitude walked, max and slowest speed walked, average speed walked, average heart rate, lowest and highest heart rate.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463