Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Almeuit
  • 2 Post By John Ferranti
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Galaxy S5: Screen glitches

    Got my S5 Friday. Within 20 minutes of leaving Verizon stand at Costco my screen started to glitch. It will freeze and start shaking the screen up and down. First time I was in email app when it happened. But it is happening even on my home screen and all over the place. Sometimes it stops on its own after 5-10 seconds other times I have to hit the screen off button, unlock and go to home screen again to get it to stop. It happens at least once an hour it I'm using my phone continually. Other times the whole phone is just freezing. I am not rooted. Did I get a lemon? Should I return it and get a replacement or is this normal?

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: S5 screen glitches

    I would return the phone. That is not normal behavior. It sounds like you got a defective unit.

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    debdroid1a likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: S5 screen glitches

    Quote Originally Posted by John Ferranti View Post
    Got my S5 Friday. Within 20 minutes of leaving Verizon stand at Costco my screen started to glitch. It will freeze and start shaking the screen up and down. First time I was in email app when it happened. But it is happening even on my home screen and all over the place. Sometimes it stops on its own after 5-10 seconds other times I have to hit the screen off button, unlock and go to home screen again to get it to stop. It happens at least once an hour it I'm using my phone continually. Other times the whole phone is just freezing. I am not rooted. Did I get a lemon? Should I return it and get a replacement or is this normal?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Lemon is, go for a replacement.

    Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: S5 screen glitches

    Got a replacement on Sunday and it is sooo much better.

    Posted via Android Central App
    here4kids and debdroid1a like this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: S5 screen glitches

    I'm noticing an issue on mine: I get static on the screen for a second or two when the phone lags. It doesn't do it very often, but I'm wondering if it's normal (new phone sofware bugs) or if it could be a hardware issue?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: S5 screen glitches

    Hey Guys

    I also have a question about the screen and would appreciate it if one of you would take a look at your handset for me and see if there is a small darker patch that doesn't mist up on the earpiece/front facing speaker?

    I am worried it could cause problems with water but could be wrong. it could even be a sealant to stop water getting in, i am just worried - if I breathe on the front/in call speaker i can clearly see a small dark patch around the left side of the mesh. I attach a blurry pic but you can see what I mean

    Could you just take a look and see if this is normal or if my handset is weird? If mine is different to other peoples could I take it back for a replacement you think?Galaxy S5: Screen glitches-snapshot_20140418_5.jpg
    Galaxy S5: Screen glitches-snapshot_20140418_4.jpg
  7. #7  

    Default Re: S5 screen glitches

    Quote Originally Posted by tomothy94 View Post
    Hey Guys

    I also have a question about the screen and would appreciate it if one of you would take a look at your handset for me and see if there is a small darker patch that doesn't mist up on the earpiece/front facing speaker?

    I am worried it could cause problems with water but could be wrong. it could even be a sealant to stop water getting in, i am just worried - if I breathe on the front/in call speaker i can clearly see a small dark patch around the left side of the mesh. I attach a blurry pic but you can see what I mean

    Could you just take a look and see if this is normal or if my handset is weird? If mine is different to other peoples could I take it back for a replacement you think?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapshot_20140418_5.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	113455
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snapshot_20140418_4.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	113457
    You mean the forward facing camera?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: S5 screen glitches

    Had some problems a few days ago with this white box appearing on my home screens and some "static-like" pictures appearing down the left side. Kvetched and growled for 1/2 a day before rebooting and everything returning to normal.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: S5 screen glitches

    No, if you looks closely at the left half of the Speaker ont eh top front of the phone (where you put your ear for calls) you can see that theres a dark circle, I breathed on it just before to show that for some reason this one area is not affected
  10. #10  

    Default Re: S5 screen glitches

    Galaxy S5: Screen glitches-newnewnewnew.jpg

    Ive upped the contrast on the photo and circled the blob so you can see. The speaker is great, its very loud and clear, on my two previous HTC's the call speaker has been terrible and has failed really quickly.

    So, what do you think of the blob?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: S5 screen glitches

    Oh, man. I just tried out Epic Citadel and on my S5 the graphics glitch like crazy. Can somebody else try it out and see what it does? Thanks.

    I think I may have a lemon here.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: S5 screen glitches

    That is a defect. Get it replaced. Sorry. Too expensive and new of a phone to start off with a defect.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: S5 screen glitches

    Quote Originally Posted by pkmcafee View Post
    That is a defect. Get it replaced. Sorry. Too expensive and new of a phone to start off with a defect.
    Thanks. I'm going to the Verizon store on Monday.

Similar Threads

  1. Help on extending lock screen timeout
    By dean290000 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 02-17-2016, 06:13 PM
  2. Are you getting a Galaxy Gear 2 (neo) or fit with your S5?
    By tacsniper in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 04-19-2014, 11:48 PM
  3. Battery Life in Sam Galaxy S5
    By RionDunn in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2014, 10:27 AM
  4. galaxy s5 user guide/manual
    By here4kids in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2014, 09:06 AM
  5. Please help me decide, Galaxy S5 or Xperia z2
    By SteveW888 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2014, 08:58 AM

Posting Permissions