Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By totaled
  • 1 Post By Eclipse2K
  • 1 Post By Eclipse2K
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default how can signal suck this bad -96dbm at home

old moto had -86 at home...web surfing a lot slower...big disappointment 10dbm difference

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Default Re: how can signal suck this bad -96dbm at home

What carrier do you have? I have Sprint and the signal is worst than the S4.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

verizon

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts

It's hard to beat a Motorola radio. It's one of the things that has kept me with them for so long. I wanted the Nexus 4 bad, but I couldn't make calls in areas where my Droid 2 or Bionic could...and do it with good call quality. I'm finally leaving Motorola for the Galaxy S5, I hope I won't regret it because of poor reception because if that winds up being the case I'll most likely sell it when the MotoX refresh comes out. My SIL has a S4 and it seems to be almost as good as my Bionic, so I'm hoping the S5 will be at least as good.

This is a great phone but the reception is awful. I can't keep up a data signal. Motorola X never had that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
    This is a great phone but the reception is awful. I can't keep up a data signal. Motorola X never had that problem.
    Mine is really good, better than the iPhone 5s, Nexus 5 but my Note 3 is a little better.

how can signal suck this bad -96dbm at home-signal-5s-n5-s5-n3.jpg
    UJ95x and terrq333 like this.

I really wish Samsung would get their act together. A strong cellular radio is more important than some fingerprint scanner or heartbeat sensor. Every time I see threads like this it makes me almost cancel my S5 order.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)
    Almeuit likes this.

Mine seems to be doing pretty well (-72 at the moment). I have nothing to compare it to though.

Quote Originally Posted by jonebk12 View Post
    Mine seems to be doing pretty well (-72 at the moment). I have nothing to compare it to though.
    I'll be giving it a shot but I'm not generally in a bad signal area so I can give a few dBm up myself. Just not willing to give up 10+ dBm but from my in store test its no where near that bad.

Hoping for the best.

My S4 is showing -105dbm - is this good or bad? I don't have the S5

The higher the dbm the worst the signal is?

Quote Originally Posted by felloffthetruck View Post
    My S4 is showing -105dbm - is this good or bad? I don't have the S5

The higher the dbm the worst the signal is?
    -120 dBm is basically no signal. Your dBm is based on the area you're located and service provider mostly. The phone radios tend to be different as a secondary factor. You're not going that bad but definitely not good either. If you hold calls just fine there's no issue.

UJ95x likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    -120 dBm is basically no signal. Your dBm is based on the area you're located and service provider mostly. The phone radios tend to be different as a secondary factor. You're not going that bad but definitely not good either. If you hold calls just fine there's no issue.

I have 3 bars and 35+ MB download speeds and great call quality. This is why I shocked the see -105

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by demarco5 View Post
    old moto had -86 at home...web surfing a lot slower...big disappointment 10dbm difference
    Why not use WiFi at home? It doesn't use any data megabytes.

what is your old Moto device? If it's pre-ICS model, the dbm reading is done differently and could be easily -10~-20dbm for the same signal strength.

I really wish Samsung would get their act together. A strong cellular radio is more important than some fingerprint scanner or heartbeat sensor. Every time I see threads like this it makes me almost cancel my S5 order.

I would tend to believe it is not samsung.... but the carrier itself ........... I have had sprint and now I have TMobile and I see the difference in connections....... and the question is: Is there one phone out there that has just about everything that Samsung S 5 has....that it is better ??? ..... I owned two HTC before and the reception was even worse.......

Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    I would tend to believe it is not samsung.... but the carrier itself ........... I have had sprint and now I have TMobile and I see the difference in connections....... and the question is: Is there one phone out there that has just about everything that Samsung S 5 has....that it is better ??? ..... I owned two HTC before and the reception was even worse.......
    How could it be the carrier? The Note 2 is better than the Note 3. The Droid Maxx is better than the Note 3. Same carrier, different phones.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by Jdroids View Post
    what is your old Moto device? If it's pre-ICS model, the dbm reading is done differently and could be easily -10~-20dbm for the same signal strength.
    droid 4...im pretty sure thats post ics? im so tired i forgot what i was running lmk
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by fantom305 View Post
    If they're both the same carrier, then the only explanation would be a faulty phone (which I doubt) or that Moto has better radios. The latter is a pretty well known advantage for Motorola...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

So, how can I have -105dbm and still have 3 bars, fast LTE Data speeds and good call quality?
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by felloffthetruck View Post
    So, how can I have -105dbm and still have 3 bars, fast LTE Data speeds and good call quality?
    dBm isn't directly linked to data speeds or call quality. It's more dependent on the network or area you're in.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Agreed!

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.