Galaxy S5: Wifi issues

Anthony K1

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else having wifi issues? The phone is super fast on the 4g, but when I go to wifi it constantly drops or will be throttled down to a snails pace. It intermittently works fine. Happens on my home wifi while all my other devices work fine, including an s2 and a nexus 7. Any help would be appreciated or if anyone else is having this issue so I know I'm not alone!

dan122686

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I've also been getting speedtest results at almost 50mbs down and 10mbs up on AT&T's network, but I haven't had any issues with the WiFi if anything its gotten faster.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else having wifi issues? The phone is super fast on the 4g, but when I go to wifi it constantly drops or will be throttled down to a snails pace. It intermittently works fine. Happens on my home wifi while all my other devices work fine, including an s2 and a nexus 7. Any help would be appreciated or if anyone else is having this issue so I know I'm not alone!

I've been experiencing what might be a similar problem while on my university's WiFi network. It will connect, be blazingly fast for a short while, then essentially drop the network telling me it's waiting for a stronger signal. If I disconnect and reconnect it manually, it'll work for a short while before dropping again. I changed one setting a couple hours ago and, so far (knock on wood), it's been working flawlessly. Here's what I did: Go into the WiFi settings; tap the name of the problem network; tap "edit"; at the bottom of that screen, check the "Show advanced options" box; finally, change "IP settings" to "Static" and hit save. I just did this randomly while trying out different settings to see if I could fix the problem; hopefully it will work long term.

Anthony K1

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I've been experiencing what might be a similar problem while on my university's WiFi network. It will connect, be blazingly fast for a short while, then essentially drop the network telling me it's waiting for a stronger signal. If I disconnect and reconnect it manually, it'll work for a short while before dropping again. I changed one setting a couple hours ago and, so far (knock on wood), it's been working flawlessly. Here's what I did: Go into the WiFi settings; tap the name of the problem network; tap "edit"; at the bottom of that screen, check the "Show advanced options" box; finally, change "IP settings" to "Static" and hit save. I just did this randomly while trying out different settings to see if I could fix the problem; hopefully it will work long term.

Hey thanks so much! This is exactly my problem and I tried what you mentioned and for the last 45 minutes it's been fine! I'm hoping it stays this way. I'll check back in, but wanted to say thanks !

espoir90

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I encountered a problem connecting my S5 to my office WiFi. I can tap into other WiFi just fine, except this one. I tried connecting my S3 to the same office network and it works well. So it should be the phone.

Any idea how I can fix this? Thanks!

IkeHustle

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I was experiencing similar issues as well. My S5 showed my network as saved but wouldn't connect. I tried to enter my network key but the phone didn't seem to respond. I changed my network from secure to open to test if it was the phone itself. The phone then connected to my router and I changed by network back to a secured status. The phone remained connected until I switched the WiFi off and the same problem started all over. I use Comcast and the Modem/Router they supply. My laptop, desktop, and S3 never had any issues connecting previously. I was finally able to find the solution by changing my security type from WPA2 to WPA. I restarted my modem and computer for good measure. My phone instantly picked up and connected to the WiFi. I have toggled it off and on numerous times and so far the phone is finding and connecting to my network. Hope this helps and keeps you from exchanging your phone if it's not necessary. - Thanks

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Get the WiFi Analyzer App and use it to determine the best channel to use of your 14 available. Then go the IP address for your router and change to the best channel.

WiFi Analyzer rates each channel by a star system and can go from 0 to 10 stars. Those are huge differences.

The S5 will have problems if the channel has a poor signal.

gss1537

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting a "Saved, Secure" message when it tries to connect to my home and work WiFi
I called Samsung and AT&T and both seem to think it is my Router. My S4 and S3 from Sprint have no problems connecting to my wifi though. We just switched to AT&T wireless but would the carrier have anything to do with the instability of the WiFi?

Rodrigo Rafagnin

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
As far as I read, everyone is having different issues from mine. My wifi was working perfectly until yesterday, and now every time it connects and disconnects almost instantly. This is happening at all wifi networks I try to connect (even at home).

I tried to change the setting of the network to static IP, but I am not sure if its because I am a newbie or what, but it is not allowing me to save the new settings.

Any tip?

kookiecookie

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
hi - I have similar issues.

My Note 1 used to connect to my work wifi, no problem, as does my Nexus 7, but my new S5 does not. it just keeps scanning but no connect.
I can change the 'guest' wifi settings to static but this made no difference and I'm obviously not able to change my work wifi security settings.

A similar probelms at home in that the wifi connection keeps dropping out - even when I'm right next to the router. I never had this problem previously - it's frustrating for sure! :-\

ashu17

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
the phone is simply awesome..connectivity is amazing! might be technical glitch at your place

Andy Munns

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
hi - I have similar issues.

My Note 1 used to connect to my work wifi, no problem, as does my Nexus 7, but my new S5 does not. it just keeps scanning but no connect.
I can change the 'guest' wifi settings to static but this made no difference and I'm obviously not able to change my work wifi security settings.

A similar probelms at home in that the wifi connection keeps dropping out - even when I'm right next to the router. I never had this problem previously - it's frustrating for sure! :-\

Have you tried turning 4G off. I am having a different issue with 4G and wifi clashing

dd4

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
My Wifi is super super fast. Connected to my Virgin Media superhub and got 102mbit down using the speedtest.net app on my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12