Deleted emails reappear

Janice Still

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
I have made the settings on the stock Email App - so that Emails are deleted from Server when I delete on my Galaxy Note 3. However they keep reappearing. What is the problem or fix, please. I have a Pop3 Account with my own email address and a Gmail Account. I rarely sync as I do not use my GMail - only when abroad as Gmail seems to work better then. When I delete from Gmail they do not come back. My Note 3 is not rooted.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Your email app and the POP3 mail server are not communicating properly. The server is not reading the Delete instructions. This is not really unusual. You can try clearing the email app's cache, deleting and restoring the POP3 account or contacting the email service provider for help.

Ultimately, the fix may be using a different email client. The are some good ones to choose from including K-9, Maildroid or my favorite, AquaMail.

Last edited:

jonnychip

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I have. Samsung s6 edge and it's such a pain as when I slide to delete my emails they re appeR shortly after. I have gone into email settings after seeing previous posts but there is no option to delete from server.. It's very strange that my sSamsung s6 edge doesn't do this but on her settings it gives her to delete from server... The only difference in phones is mine is 64gb and hers is 32gb..
I have checked my software update and it's up to date... Re appearing emails is cracking me up lol,

schickel

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site
The same is with mail I moved to another folder with a different client. The mail is definitely not in the INBOX, but Samsung Mail App shows it up. It's a pain......

I'm on Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and it seems to be a big problem with the app. I've searched the whole internet for a solution without any luck.

Moving from IMAP to POP3 is no option for for me. The only option for now is the hope, that with MM everything would be better :)

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
You definitely do NOT want to switch from IMAP to POP3 even if you could. Try another email app. Samsung's app is notoriously troublesome. AquaMail, Maildroid and K-9 are all good.

Filip Top

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
For me this problem started after upgrading to android version 6.0.1, before that everything was working fine and I could delete mails.
Any way to go back to the previous version, because I find this upgrade more a downgrade :-(.

weezmyster

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine began with MM too. The emails I keep getting are about 3 weeks read and deleted. Deleting from server before my home PC pulls them in is not an option either. Not sure I'm fond of MM yet.

Sysgoddess

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
The problem isn't the app, it's the fact that you're using IMAP protocol instead of POP3. Change your server type to POP3 and the non-issue should disappear. I don't recommend that new or non tech savvy users utilise IMAP as it causes confusion.

Source - nearly 30 years in I.T. services

Sysgoddess

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
Hopefully you have found resolution for your issue by now but if not find a young family member aged 12 to 25 and ask them for help and don't feel bad.

I have had to explain multiple ways to a grown man, in front of his wife & children, the difference between male & female cable connections and ask to speak to someone's 10 year old daughter to tell me if their "broken" computer was plugged in. It was not.

Hollinch

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
Hi Sysgoddess,

I don't think advising to use POP3 instead of IMAP is useful to circumvent the issue here. These two services are significantly different from each other, and if configured incorrectly the use of POP3 will cause serious issues when access from multiple devices is required.

I concur fully with Filip Top, the issue clearly lies with the Samsung mail app, as after one of the OS updates the IMAP deletions never worked again using that app.

I have since tried various ways to understand the issue, and none of the other mail apps show the same failure to delete emails on the IMAP server, only the Samsung app delivered with the OS. Tried Outlook, K9, and others, and they all work fine, delete mails both locally and on the server. Just not Samsung's.

I have also tried to delete all the mail accounts, and subsequently configured them again, to no avail. Even had two phone wipes (for a different reason), that also showed the app is at the heart of the issue.

Brgds

Keith Oborn

Aug 23, 2017
Visit site
I've been looking at this on an S8, and there is something odd going on at the OS level as far as I can see.

I have two accounts: one my corporate Exchange, the other a private Dovecot IMAP server. Using the stock Samsung email client the Exchange behaviour is correct: deletions in either the mobile client or the PC client are synced correctly.

On the IMAP server, my Mac client is set up to do some local spam filtering, moving spam to Trash. It is then se up to auto-delete Trash after one day.

Both the Samsung email client< the Gmail client, and any other I've tried so far, tend to re-display mail that was either filtered like this, or explicitly deleted by the Mac - and this now goes back a couple of months. From time to time the phone decides that all of this "phantom" email doesn't exist, but then it comes back. Question is, where from? It's not on the IMAP server, or on the Mac client.

I see some indication that Samsung have some sort of caching under the email client, but no idea what or where.

My previous two HTC phones worked perfectly in this respect.