Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Autokon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New to the Android Family and S5

First, sorry for this sort of post... I'm dreading multiple replies saying to search the forums, but I've done that and really haven't found the sort of info I'm looking for just yet.

Moving on. I'm primarily an Apple guy and will remain such. However, circumstances has seen fit to add a second cell phone into my mix. Despite being an Apple guy, I'm not an Apple-ego-maniac. I'm also an IT/Internet Marketing guy, so, I tend to welcome and enjoy all technology. I've supported Android handsets with previous IT jobs...so I'm not entirely a newb. For adding this 2nd phone into the mix, I've picked up an S5. I've been tinkering the past few days have not run into any kinks what so ever. In fact, it's been a joy and breeze.

What I'd like to do now is disable and bloat I dont need running. I'm not interested in rooting and roming and all that jazz. Just not something I'm into, I'm too lazy to be honest. And so far, this device has been quite perfect with a few small additions. Touchwiz this time around doesn't seem near as bad as it did on the S4 (from my experience supporting them). I havent even thought about installing Nova or anything just yet either. Anyway, back to the bloatware. What can I safely disable thats considered bloat? I'm not using anything related to AT&T. So annoyed I cant uninstall and nuke Beats music either, ugh.

Any other advice would be fantastic. Just looking to optimize this device as I'm not too familiar with doing such. I'm sure you guys are pros and have a set "workflow" you go through when opening up a new Galaxy or other Android device.

I'm but a padawan currently, but I also, can be a master.
    Thanked by:

To disable any bloat apps you don't want. Go the the app drawer, find the app you want to disable, touch it and hold, it will go to the home screen, with some options at the top drag it to disable and let go, and it will be disabled.

Or go in the phone settings, open application manager, click on the app you don't want, then I would first Uninstall updates. Than click on turn off

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: New to the Android Family and S5

Quote Originally Posted by ab304945 View Post
    To disable any bloat apps you don't want. Go the the app drawer, find the app you want to disable, touch it and hold, it will go to the home screen, with some options at the top drag it to disable and let go, and it will be disabled.

Or go in the phone settings, open application manager, click on the app you don't want, then I would first Uninstall updates. Than click on turn off

Is there a list out yet of whats SAFE to disable on the S5? I recall there being lists for the S4...but I'm sure the apps differ on the S5? I think I remember some people bricking due to disabling some specific apps or something.
    gravy88 likes this.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Autokon View Post
    Is there a list out yet of whats SAFE to disable on the S5? I recall there being lists for the S4...but I'm sure the apps differ on the S5? I think I remember some people bricking due to disabling some specific apps or something.
    Welcome to Android Central
    The apps are probably going to be very similar. Some apps allow you to disable them, but a lot of the "bloatware" apps can't be. The ones that can be, won't brick your phone if disabled, because you can still re-enable it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Welcome to Android Central
    The apps are probably going to be very similar. Some apps allow you to disable them, but a lot of the "bloatware" apps can't be. The ones that can be, won't brick your phone if disabled, because you can still re-enable it.

Thanks for the welcome! Glad I finally have a good reason to join.

Hmmmm I guess I'll tinker around with disabling a few.

Also...since I'm new, what about backing up? Something that doesn't require root. I'm pretty aware that Google's is pretty useless. And also...anti-virus? A concept I'm not used to with being a part of the Apple ecosystem. I recall reading a few months back that every AT&T phone ships with anti-virus software? And also at one point during first using my S5, I remember seeing a notification from Google about checking for system issues once in awhile (referring to malware/virus stuff I'm assuming).

Any thoughts?

Also...since I'm new, what about backing up? Something that doesn't require root. I'm pretty aware that Google's is pretty useless. And also...anti-virus? A concept I'm not used to with being a part of the Apple ecosystem. I recall reading a few months back that every AT&T phone ships with anti-virus software? And also at one point during first using my S5, I remember seeing a notification from Google about checking for system issues once in awhile (referring to malware/virus stuff I'm assuming).

Any thoughts?
    I wouldn't fret about disabling an app-- it doesn't allow you to disable anything vital to the phone. And anything you change your mind about is easily re-enabled.

As far as back ups, what are you worried about being useless from Google? I sync contacts, calendars, books, music, keep (Google's version of sync-able memos/notes,) drive (google's cloud storage) and even Timely (alarm/clock app google purchased.) It generally works great for all of these things.

When it comes to anti-virus: I've never used one on any of my half dozen or so Android devices. By default, Android only allows you to download apps from trusted sources-- aka only Google Play Store. However, you can go into Settings and enable the side loading of apps-- this means you can download it from a website or unauthorized app store at your own risk. If you are getting it from a trusted source, you should be fine. I've side loaded plenty of apps, but I always knew where they were coming from. Now there have been reports of bad apps on Google Play here and there, but I believe they are making a system where all apps must continuously check in with Google to confirm they are authorized and save. Even so, I don't worry much these days. I'm sure it will get worse in the future but I feel secure without one at the moment. If you decide you want one, I'd go with Lookout.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Any thoughts?
    Helium backup for app data. No root required and you can restore data on another phone if need be. As for anti-virus, you don't really need one if you stick to the Play Store, Amazon App Store, and Samsung app store. If you really think you need one, I'd recommend Lookout

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Anti-Virus: Understood. Stay smart and no worries. As a tech guy myself, I wasn't sure how much of an issue this was. For idiots I'm sure this is a problem. I wont fuss with it then.

Backup: Thinking about Android as a whole, different manufacturers and there given skins/add-on's.. I guess its impossible for Google to implement a full on complete backup unless only to the Nexus devices. Not a big deal. Was just curious.

You will be safe disabling at least some Samsung and Google apps, like Google+ and ChatOn. Do not disable something more technical sounding, eg. Samsung Push Service (disabling this app turns off some notifications).

Edit: You can ask anything, I'd really like to help you if I can.

Here are some app suggestions:

-GSAM Battery Monitor is one of the easiest ways to monitor battery usage
    -SwiftKey Keyboard is what I'm using right now, quite similar to the original keyboard but better in many ways
    -A file manager, when you need to manage files on your S5 (I'm using Astro File Manager)
    -I like the Drippler app, I read Android news via that and AC
    -And maybe an equalizer app if you listen to music a lot

That's it for now.

Last edited by StarkillerFIN; 04-14-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Anti-Virus: Understood. Stay smart and no worries. As a tech guy myself, I wasn't sure how much of an issue this was. For idiots I'm sure this is a problem. I wont fuss with it then.

Backup: Thinking about Android as a whole, different manufacturers and there given skins/add-on's.. I guess its impossible for Google to implement a full on complete backup unless only to the Nexus devices. Not a big deal. Was just curious.
    There are ways to fully backup your system, but it requires root and a custom recovery. I know I'm not alone when I say I would love to have that in the stock recovery. Google can probably implement it if they want...

Welcome to Android Central! Enjoy your S5
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

You guys are all so awesome! Thank you very much!

I've only had one issue since getting this S5. That being, S Voice. It says you can say the wake command at anytime, even with the screen is off..and it'll wake up. Wont work for me. I've dumped the data/cache for S voice as well. I've tried with the screen off, on the home screen...etc, nada. Only comes up when double pressing the home button.

You guys are all so awesome! Thank you very much!

I've only had one issue since getting this S5. That being, S Voice. It says you can say the wake command at anytime, even with the screen is off..and it'll wake up. Wont work for me. I've dumped the data/cache for S voice as well. I've tried with the screen off, on the home screen...etc, nada. Only comes up when double pressing the home button.
    Don't know. I turn it off and long press for Google now. Welcome! Enjoy

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Alright guys...back after multiple more days with a few questions.

1. Photos App or Gallery App? Whats the diff? Not a ton of info out there aside from rumors about the gallery app..

2. Widgets for quickly enabling the hotspot feature available?

About it! =)

So far, zero issues. Rocking a Spigen Slim Armor and already flawlessly installed a TechArmor Glass SP.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Alright guys...back after multiple more days with a few questions.

1. Photos App or Gallery App? Whats the diff? Not a ton of info out there aside from rumors about the gallery app..

2. Widgets for quickly enabling the hotspot feature available?

About it! =)

So far, zero issues. Rocking a Spigen Slim Armor and already flawlessly installed a TechArmor Glass SP.
    Sorry for the late reply
    1) Use whatever you like. Photos will eventually replace the stock gallery though as its Google's version of the app. It also has a backup feature for your photos if you have a G+ account.
    2) None that I have seen from Samsung's stock software or the hotspot app I use.

Open developer settings and disable animations. That's the only thing I have done and the phone is amazingly fast.

As far as backup, if you have a google email account you are good to go. When I went to get my S5 I was very concerned about re-installing apps, getting my pictures and video from the cloud ( I didn't from the start save them to the SD card...uggg) but when I put in my google email on my S5, my new phone had everything from my S3. Contacts, photos, vids, music, wifi settings etc.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Thanks again all!

I've come up with another question. I tried to use the heart sensor the other day out of boredom. It required an update to function. BUT, in order to get the update.. I had to go into security and allow unknown sources for it to update. I had to allow unknown sources to update a Samsung app on a Samsung device.

Is that normal??

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Thanks again all!

I've come up with another question. I tried to use the heart sensor the other day out of boredom. It required an update to function. BUT, in order to get the update.. I had to go into security and allow unknown sources for it to update. I had to allow unknown sources to update a Samsung app on a Samsung device.

Is that normal??
    That's strange. I never downloaded any apps from Samsung's store, but I think they would be smart enough to make it so that their store is safe...guess not

I might be wrong here, but it seems like I've seen that ANY source other than Google Play requires Unknown sources to be checked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,493 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Thanks again all!

Is that normal??
    I got that too when I had to install the FitBit manager. Though is was weird they added security to the phone in the way of a finger print scanner, but want me to allow apps from unknown sources to install one of their apps.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Dubg View Post
    I might be wrong here, but it seems like I've seen that ANY source other than Google Play requires Unknown sources to be checked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    That's certainly possible, but you'd think that OEMs make it so that their app stores don't require it. Their stores should be safe as well...

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Least I'm not crazy. But yeah, so freaking weird. This Android world is a strange one, haha.

I have unknown sources turned off as I don't run anti virus and my S health just updated so yeah..weird...