Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SD card problems

Basically I noticed that I couldn't delete any pictures or transfer anything to the SD card. Anyone else having this problem? I can't use the SD card as a save directory or anything. This is a fairly old SD card and I was wondering if maybe the Galaxy s5 required a higher class card or something? I don't know but if anyone knows a solution let me know. This is frustrating.

Global Posts
    30,954 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: SD card problems

I think this will answer some of your questions, if not all of them: KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central

Maybe the format and/or file system is not compatible. If you have a card reader on your computer insert the SD card and format it there. Use FAT32 for highest compatibility. Then try using it in your Galaxy again.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,444 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by XFonz07 View Post
    Basically I noticed that I couldn't delete any pictures or transfer anything to the SD card. Anyone else having this problem? I can't use the SD card as a save directory or anything. This is a fairly old SD card and I was wondering if maybe the Galaxy s5 required a higher class card or something? I don't know but if anyone knows a solution let me know. This is frustrating.
    What camera app are you using? Class of the card shouldn't make a difference

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I noticed the problem when I was taking pictures with the phone, saving images to the ext SD card. I would view the photos in quickpic, delete them, exit the app, re enter the app and the pictures reappear. So basically it couldn't delete the photos at all therefore making it impossible to delete photos (using stock camera app) without formatting the SD card. Then I read about the kit Kat changes and am now considering root.

found that if you are stock, the stock file manager, My File, has permissions to write/delete files from the SD card. 3rd party apps such as ES File Explorer do not have permissions without root.

Quote Originally Posted by redhat1001 View Post
    found that if you are stock, the stock file manager, My File, has permissions to write/delete files from the SD card. 3rd party apps such as ES File Explorer do not have permissions without root.
    GREAT tip/info - THANKS!
    It's crazy that with Kitkat, apps such as MyBackupPro or any other 3rd party app can't move info to the extSdCard without root but My File can. Hope the mods will consider making this tip a sticky.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thank you. That changes everything.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by redhat1001 View Post
    Yes great tip.
    Nex2knotN likes this.

I'm still rocking a SII and I use My BackUpPro all the time. This may be a deal breaker for me at this point. I may wait a bit and see what they do. Maybe they'll come up with a fix. So you can still store media on the SD card correct? i.e. Movies, videos, pictures, and music. or will pictures and videos not save to it because of the permissions? Thanks.

Global Posts
    353 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XFonz07 View Post
    Just some FYI, at BestBuy right now, you can get a 32GB class ten, pix SD Card with adapter for 29$. You can even get it for lower if you price match against Amazon. I popped one in yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by LS14EVR View Post
    I'm still rocking a SII and I use My BackUpPro all the time. This may be a deal breaker for me at this point. I may wait a bit and see what they do. Maybe they'll come up with a fix. So you can still store media on the SD card correct? i.e. Movies, videos, pictures, and music. or will pictures and videos not save to it because of the permissions? Thanks.
    The first time i tried to use the camera, I received a pop-up message stating that the phone recognized I had an external card, and would I like my pics store there. So now, my camera pics and videos are stored by default to the SD card.
    As for music, I use iSyncr to sync my card with my itunes on the PC. Haven't had a problem with Poweramp reading the music.
    Downloaded movie torrents (utorrent), but it would only allow to store initially on Internal Memory, then I had to use My Files to copy to the SD card. You can also choose the SD card as the default download space, if using the stock browser.
    As far as a fix - someone correct me if I'm wrong. This limitation of using the SD card is a KitKat limitation and not necessarily the doings of Samsung...right? Now, not being able to add clock widget s to the lockscreen is a Samsung fiasco.....but different thread
    LS14EVR likes this.

its a quickpic issue i do believe. had the exact same problem. when deleted in quick it would not delete them out of the DCIM folder on the sd card. even when i set the camera to store on the phone still did it. the stock gallery i think is actually better than quickpic now. i uninstalled quickpic and have no problems deleting using the stock gallery

its a quickpic issue