Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5: Can't get texts from iPhone users

So I picked up my S5 Friday, upgraded from iPhone 4S. I traded in my iPhone for the phone, and reset my iPhone to factory settings before doing so. I love my new phone, but I can't get any texts from iPhone users. iPhone users get my texts, but I don't get any from them. I know this probably has to do with their phones still trying to send my number iMessages instead of texts. I don't have the box or anything from my iPhone to get the serial number from it. Does anyone know if I go to the Apple store if they will be able to fix it? I don't want to wait weeks to be able to get all my texts...

*Have to go to work, will try to check for replies at lunch
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-27-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Default Re: S5- Can't get texts from iPhone users

Sounds like you may need to disable Imessages on your end. After doing so it may take awhile for it to change. I read where people were calling into Apple to have them do it for them

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Sounds like you had iMessage turned on. Had the same problem today. I thought I had turned iMessage of for my mobile number on all devices but forgot my home computer. You have to go in to prefs for all devices you set up iMessage on and uncheck your mobile number in the accounts so that your mobile number is not registered with iMessage.

Global Posts
    1,096 Global Posts

Since you don't have the phone anymore you will need to call Apple customer service and have them release you from their servers. If you have any other devices like an ipod or an iPad turn off imessage AND facetime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Di View Post
    So I picked up my S5 Friday, upgraded from iPhone 4S. I traded in my iPhone for the phone, and reset my iPhone to factory settings before doing so. I love my new phone, but I can't get any texts from iPhone users. iPhone users get my texts, but I don't get any from them. I know this probably has to do with their phones still trying to send my number iMessages instead of texts. I don't have the box or anything from my iPhone to get the serial number from it. Does anyone know if I go to the Apple store if they will be able to fix it? I don't want to wait weeks to be able to get all my texts...

*Have to go to work, will try to check for replies at lunch
    I dealt with this for days with my previous transition to an active S4 from iPhone. You have to disable iMessage on ALL of your devices (iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, etc). Oh yes, don't forget FaceTime!

Reset your Apple ID password and do not log back in on your device(s)
    Send a text to 48369 with the word STOP

And the I called apple to make sure my number was no associated with iMessage at all. It was but took about 24 hours to drop off their servers.
    Thanked by:
    GeekNews and txphoto like this.

After you disable imessage just have your iPhone user friends start a new conversation with you. It will send it as a text and merge with the existing after its sent. I've done this countless times as I switched between android and iPhone several times a year.

Posted via Android Central App
    Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks for all of your replies! I text that number and was going to call Apple but to get anywhere on the website you need the serial number (which I don't have) so I will call my local Apple store at lunch and see if they can help me out.

The iPhone was the only apple device I had so it should be the only one I have to disable.

I called the Apple tech support and they didn't need my serial number. They just asked for the cell phone number that iMessage was associated with and they removed me from their system.
    GeekNews likes this.

Global Posts
    493 Global Posts

You also probably have friends that do not have their phones set to fall back to SMS in iMessage. If their phone recognized you as having an iPhone in the past, it will want to send as an iMessage now but not fall back to a SMS. The result is messages not going through.

Happened all the time with me until I thought of this.

Last edited by jschu22; 04-15-2014 at 09:16 PM.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Tried calling Apple but couldn't get through without them wanting to charge me $20 since my phone is out of warranty.

Turn off iMessages on all your iOS devices.

iMessages intercepts IM's and other non-SMS chat transmissions, especially same-carrier messages. Even if you switch to a new carrier/phone.

(If you look at your iMessage log, messages with BLUE chat bubbles are the iMessage ones that will get intercepted, as these are the non-SMS messages. Messages with GREEN chat bubbles are the ones that should be going through to your new phone via SMS.)

You have to turn OFF iMessage in order to get those BLUE non-SMS messages through to your new phone.

Or, if you're lazy, turn on Airplane mode and/or completely turn OFF your old iPhone (assuming you still have it). Because even without a mobile/carrier connection, iMessages will still intercept messages through just a WIFI connection.

You might have to disable it through iCloud too, not positive on that. I had a 4S and just switched to an S5. They told me at the store to disable iMessage on my old phone or the non-SMS texts will still get grabbed onto my 4S.

I only had 1 friend who texted me through imessages. His texts had BLUE chat bubbles, which is how I knew that he was the only one I wasn't getting texts from. I just told him to send texts directly to my phone # and that fixed it on HIS phone.

^THIS^

Quote Originally Posted by jschu22 View Post
    You also probably have friends that do not have their phones set to fall back to SMS in iMessage. If their phone recognized you as having an iPhone in the past, it will want to sent an iMessage now buy not fall back to an SMS. The result is messages not going through.

Happened all the time with me until I thought of this.

They did mine for free last week
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Well I went to the Apple store today and they were completely useless. They told me I would have to tell all my iPhone using friends to set their phone to send MMS as backup. I reset my password and tried texting stop again. Other than that I don't know what to do.

Well I went to the Apple store today and they were completely useless. They told me I would have to tell all my iPhone using friends to set their phone to send MMS as backup. I reset my password and tried texting stop again. Other than that I don't know what to do.
    I had a friend who just had this issue and what finally worked was calling Apple and telling them to "release your account". I might be switching from iPhone to the S5 and am dreading this also.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by alil25 View Post
    I had a friend who just had this issue and what finally worked was calling Apple and telling them to "release your account". I might be switching from iPhone to the S5 and am dreading this also.
    The problem with this is that I can never get to talk to anybody at Apple. When I tried calling and did all the automated things they just wanted to charge me $20 to talk to someone. Would your friend happen to have that number still? I just want to cry. I want to enjoy my new toy but this is kind of peeing on my parade.

Call 1-800-275-2273 and tell them you need your phone number manually removed from the system because you cannot receive text messages from people using iMessage.
    Thanked by:
    todd_k 
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by jaleesag88 View Post
    Call 1-800-275-2273 and tell them you need your phone number manually removed from the system because you cannot receive text messages from people using iMessage.
    Thanks! On hold with Apple now. Hopefully this will be the call that fixes it...

ETA- Just got off the phone with Apple, supposedly it should be ok within 24 hours but if not they gave me a case #. Thanks again for all the help!
    Dramer77, jaleesag88 and alil25 like this.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

iPhone user face many problem with their smart phone. If your phone is not working properly than format it. Before formatting create backup of all iPhone data. it will help you to recover contacts from iPhone,4s,5,5s. After formatting user lost all data. So iPhone recover software helps them to restore all deleted data easily.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by mary aug View Post
    iPhone user face many problem with their smart phone. If your phone is not working properly than format it. Before formatting create backup of all iPhone data. it will help you to recover contacts from iPhone,4s,5,5s. After formatting user lost all data. So iPhone recover software helps them to restore all deleted data easily.
    I don't have the iPhone anymore, I traded it in to Verizon for the S5.

Still not getting texts from iPhone users that don't have their phone set up to send SMS if iMessage fails. Ugh.

Tried calling Apple but couldn't get through without them wanting to charge me $20 since my phone is out of warranty.
    Your going through the wrong channels. I experienced the same issue. You have to find the icloud and software support number. You don't have a warranty issue but you have a general issue with their icloud system. I'm pretty sure on the icloud support site you schedule a call. They send you an email to confirm and then THEY call you.

Worked for me and about an hour later I was the getting every text sent to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Oh Nasty imessage.

I had the same problem. Called apple no help. What baffled it wasn't all my iPhone user friends, only a select few. Out of curiosity I checked my friend message settings, it seems now the newer Iphones by default don't have send as text if imessage isn't available checked on. Tell your iPhone friends (I know it's a pain)
    Go to settings> messages>turn on send as SMS
    And presto, now I'm receiving from those select few their texts. Apple being sneaky (shocker)

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I wonder why AC didn't write the tip article for this iMessage problem already. Did they? This iMessage problem quickly escalated to the FAQ level due to many ex-iPhone users, I think. (I myself experienced this when I switched from iPhone 4 to GS4 a year ago because I forgot to turn off the iMessage of my MBP.) I'm saying this because there are lots of new GS5 users switched from iPhone 4S and iPhone 5S according to the telegraph. Most of them would not be familiar both with Galaxy and with Android. Even some simple tips almost all the regular AC readers know well for ages can be useful tips for them. Tons of new Android/GS5 users will search for the good source on the internet for their new phones and now is the perfect time to acquire new audiences for Android Central. Actually here in the forum you can see the flux of former iPhone users just got bought GS5. It would be very smart move for Android Central to write specific articles which cover most helpful topics for Android/GS5 newbies.
    alil25 likes this.

I disabled iMessage a few days before I got my S5. For some iPhone friends that was good enough and for others it wasn't. Even if they switched my number in their contact list from 'iPhone' to 'Mobile' it was a crapshoot if it would work. Once I got my S5 I logged into iCloud on my PC and removed my phone and phone number from the device list. After that, zero issues.
    Empress615 likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast