Galaxy S5: Can't get texts from iPhone users

Sara Di

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
So I picked up my S5 Friday, upgraded from iPhone 4S. I traded in my iPhone for the phone, and reset my iPhone to factory settings before doing so. I love my new phone, but I can't get any texts from iPhone users. iPhone users get my texts, but I don't get any from them. I know this probably has to do with their phones still trying to send my number iMessages instead of texts. I don't have the box or anything from my iPhone to get the serial number from it. Does anyone know if I go to the Apple store if they will be able to fix it? I don't want to wait weeks to be able to get all my texts...

*Have to go to work, will try to check for replies at lunch :)

Last edited by a moderator:

hardrocker89

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: S5- Can't get texts from iPhone users

Sounds like you may need to disable Imessages on your end. After doing so it may take awhile for it to change. I read where people were calling into Apple to have them do it for them

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

gjlamb#CB

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like you had iMessage turned on. Had the same problem today. I thought I had turned iMessage of for my mobile number on all devices but forgot my home computer. You have to go in to prefs for all devices you set up iMessage on and uncheck your mobile number in the accounts so that your mobile number is not registered with iMessage.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

Since you don't have the phone anymore you will need to call Apple customer service and have them release you from their servers. If you have any other devices like an ipod or an iPad turn off imessage AND facetime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

So I picked up my S5 Friday, upgraded from iPhone 4S. I traded in my iPhone for the phone, and reset my iPhone to factory settings before doing so. I love my new phone, but I can't get any texts from iPhone users. iPhone users get my texts, but I don't get any from them. I know this probably has to do with their phones still trying to send my number iMessages instead of texts. I don't have the box or anything from my iPhone to get the serial number from it. Does anyone know if I go to the Apple store if they will be able to fix it? I don't want to wait weeks to be able to get all my texts...

*Have to go to work, will try to check for replies at lunch :)

I dealt with this for days with my previous transition to an active S4 from iPhone. You have to disable iMessage on ALL of your devices (iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, etc). Oh yes, don't forget FaceTime!

Reset your Apple ID password and do not log back in on your device(s)
Send a text to 48369 with the word STOP

And the I called apple to make sure my number was no associated with iMessage at all. It was but took about 24 hours to drop off their servers.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

After you disable imessage just have your iPhone user friends start a new conversation with you. It will send it as a text and merge with the existing after its sent. I've done this countless times as I switched between android and iPhone several times a year.

Posted via Android Central App

Sara Di

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for all of your replies! I text that number and was going to call Apple but to get anywhere on the website you need the serial number (which I don't have) so I will call my local Apple store at lunch and see if they can help me out.

The iPhone was the only apple device I had so it should be the only one I have to disable.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site

I called the Apple tech support and they didn't need my serial number. They just asked for the cell phone number that iMessage was associated with and they removed me from their system.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
You also probably have friends that do not have their phones set to fall back to SMS in iMessage. If their phone recognized you as having an iPhone in the past, it will want to send as an iMessage now but not fall back to a SMS. The result is messages not going through.

Happened all the time with me until I thought of this.

Last edited:

Sara Di

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Tried calling Apple but couldn't get through without them wanting to charge me $20 since my phone is out of warranty.

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

Turn off iMessages on all your iOS devices.

iMessages intercepts IM's and other non-SMS chat transmissions, especially same-carrier messages. Even if you switch to a new carrier/phone.

(If you look at your iMessage log, messages with BLUE chat bubbles are the iMessage ones that will get intercepted, as these are the non-SMS messages. Messages with GREEN chat bubbles are the ones that should be going through to your new phone via SMS.)

You have to turn OFF iMessage in order to get those BLUE non-SMS messages through to your new phone.

Or, if you're lazy, turn on Airplane mode and/or completely turn OFF your old iPhone (assuming you still have it). Because even without a mobile/carrier connection, iMessages will still intercept messages through just a WIFI connection.

You might have to disable it through iCloud too, not positive on that. I had a 4S and just switched to an S5. They told me at the store to disable iMessage on my old phone or the non-SMS texts will still get grabbed onto my 4S.

I only had 1 friend who texted me through imessages. His texts had BLUE chat bubbles, which is how I knew that he was the only one I wasn't getting texts from. I just told him to send texts directly to my phone # and that fixed it on HIS phone.

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site

^THIS^

You also probably have friends that do not have their phones set to fall back to SMS in iMessage. If their phone recognized you as having an iPhone in the past, it will want to sent an iMessage now buy not fall back to an SMS. The result is messages not going through.

Happened all the time with me until I thought of this.

Sara Di

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Well I went to the Apple store today and they were completely useless. They told me I would have to tell all my iPhone using friends to set their phone to send MMS as backup. I reset my password and tried texting stop again. Other than that I don't know what to do.

alil25

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Well I went to the Apple store today and they were completely useless. They told me I would have to tell all my iPhone using friends to set their phone to send MMS as backup. I reset my password and tried texting stop again. Other than that I don't know what to do.

I had a friend who just had this issue and what finally worked was calling Apple and telling them to "release your account". I might be switching from iPhone to the S5 and am dreading this also.

Sara Di

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I had a friend who just had this issue and what finally worked was calling Apple and telling them to "release your account". I might be switching from iPhone to the S5 and am dreading this also.

The problem with this is that I can never get to talk to anybody at Apple. When I tried calling and did all the automated things they just wanted to charge me $20 to talk to someone. Would your friend happen to have that number still? I just want to cry. I want to enjoy my new toy but this is kind of peeing on my parade.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site

Call 1-800-275-2273 and tell them you need your phone number manually removed from the system because you cannot receive text messages from people using iMessage.

Sara Di

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Call 1-800-275-2273 and tell them you need your phone number manually removed from the system because you cannot receive text messages from people using iMessage.

Thanks! On hold with Apple now. Hopefully this will be the call that fixes it...

ETA- Just got off the phone with Apple, supposedly it should be ok within 24 hours but if not they gave me a case #. Thanks again for all the help!

mary aug

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

iPhone user face many problem with their smart phone. If your phone is not working properly than format it. Before formatting create backup of all iPhone data. it will help you to recover contacts from iPhone,4s,5,5s. After formatting user lost all data. So iPhone recover software helps them to restore all deleted data easily.

Sara Di

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

iPhone user face many problem with their smart phone. If your phone is not working properly than format it. Before formatting create backup of all iPhone data. it will help you to recover contacts from iPhone,4s,5,5s. After formatting user lost all data. So iPhone recover software helps them to restore all deleted data easily.

I don't have the iPhone anymore, I traded it in to Verizon for the S5.

Still not getting texts from iPhone users that don't have their phone set up to send SMS if iMessage fails. Ugh.