Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S5 Needs more RAM.

After I deleted all the bloatware from my Note 2 I usually had 800MB-1GB of ram always available ,now with the S5 after the bloatware was terminated i have around 550-400MB of ram always available ,that's just depressing.
    Why didn't they put more ram in this thing
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy S5 Needs more RAM.

Are you experiencing lag? What makes you say that 400-550 mg's of free ram is insufficient?

I agree with the op,this is exactly why I won't purchase this phone, it has the same ram as my gs3 and I hate when I have like 10 apps open, the go back to one of the first apps I was using, just to find out that I'm no longer where I was before because of ram limitations.

Sent from my Apple iPad Air using Tapatalk
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

How much RAM does everyone have available?

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    I agree with the op,this is exactly why I won't purchase this phone, it has the same ram as my gs3 and I hate when I have like 10 apps open, the go back to one of the first apps I was using, just to find out that I'm no longer where I was before because of ram limitations.

More RAM is always good but those restarting the app from background is not always due to the insufficient RAM. Lots of apps are programmed to restart always regardless of RAM availability if it stayed background long enough.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    debdroid1a and DarkUltra like this.

Quote Originally Posted by procol View Post
    More RAM is always good but those restarting the app from background is not always due to the insufficient RAM. Some apps are programmed to restart always regardless of RAM availability if it stayed background long enough.

Really? I didn't know that. Do you know why they would be set to restart?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Typical with touchwiz. In the S3 and S4 stuttering was a frequent occurrence because of all the resources dedicated to touchwiz. If you aren't experiencjng any lag or crashes then I wouldn't worry about it.

Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html
    trandz and DarkUltra like this.

You should ignore the amount of RAM usage your phone is using.. Unless you're noticing lag problems.

Please read the below article for a better explanation.

http://www.androidcentral.com/ram-wh...-shouldnt-care

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Really? I didn't know that. Do you know why they would be set to restart?

I'm not an Android programmer, but AFAIK reasons vary. If the app uses network and it lost connection to server while in the background, it has to re-establish connection by restarting because for the app it's safer to avoid errors from having old status. Also, OS cleans up the memory periodically regardless of RAM status because OS is designed that way for memory optimization. When going foreground again from background, some apps just reload the specific content from the server, some apps load the content from cache or local data and some apps restart completely. From app to app, it's different.
    Thanked by:
    Bambii68 likes this.

The S5 has same amt of RAM as my S3 and they should have given it 3GB. One of the reasons I'm considering the Note 3 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by 97TAWS6 View Post
    The S5 has same amt of RAM as my S3 and they should have given it 3GB. One of the reasons I'm considering the Note 3 instead.
    Yea, I have no clue why they went with 2 instead of 3, unless it's just because they didn't want to increase the cost to make the phone or something

Thanked by:

My phone is lagless so far and the ram seems pretty good

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -

Yea, I have no clue why they went with 2 instead of 3, unless it's just because they didn't want to increase the cost to make the phone or something

And the iPhone only has 1Gig and works perfectly fine.. People get too hung up on numbers .. They scaled back touch wiz some so ram usage isn't as bad, they could've put 4 gigs in here but if it's using the same amount under 2 gigs the phone isn't going to be any faster....as long as you not maxed out at 2 you wont have any issues... And to the person complaining cause you have 10 apps open and having issues, I think common sense would say don't have 10 apps open trying to use them all

Quote Originally Posted by Dramer77 View Post
    And the iPhone only has 1Gig and works perfectly fine.. People get too hung up on numbers .. They scaled back touch wiz some so ram usage isn't as bad, they could've put 4 gigs in here but if it's using the same amount under 2 gigs the phone isn't going to be any faster....as long as you not maxed out at 2 you wont have any issues... And to the person complaining cause you have 10 apps open and having issues, I think common sense would say don't have 10 apps open trying to use them all
    You can't compare both OS's in this case, the iPhone doesn't need much ram

Also, common sense says I shouldn't have 10 apps open? What am I supposed to do? Close every app the second in done with it then go back to my app draw when I want to use it? Lol

Are you guys checking your RAM with your apps turned off?

If I go to the app switcher and close all my running apps, I have exactly 1.33GB/1.81GB available, with only the OS running.

So Touchwiz/Andriod is using approx half a GB of RAM. The rest is open.

For me anyway. (Sprint - Galaxy S5)

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    You should ignore the amount of RAM usage your phone is using.. Unless you're noticing lag problems.

Please read the below article for a better explanation.

RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    I agree here. I admit I've been concerned about the amount of free RAM available, but in all honesty, I have not experienced any lag with the device. I guess I'll have to adjust.

Global Posts
    18,486 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Android likes having RAM full. It helps with launching apps.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    debdroid1a likes this.

You can't compare both OS's in this case, the iPhone doesn't need much ram

Also, common sense says I shouldn't have 10 apps open? What am I supposed to do? Close every app the second in done with it then go back to my app draw when I want to use it? Lol

I know iOS needs less ram, but if you leave a bunch of apps open on iOS the same thing happens.. It will slow down.. And not you don't need to close apps right away , but if your complaining about things running slower cause you have 10 apps open not using them then that's your fault and your just fishing for things to complain about
    bassplayrguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dramer77 View Post
    I know iOS needs less ram, but if you leave a bunch of apps open on iOS the same thing happens.. It will slow down.. And not you don't need to close apps right away , but if your complaining about things running slower cause you have 10 apps open not using them then that's your fault and your just fishing for things to complain about
    Fishing for things to complain about? So since you don't have this issue I can't talk about it? They put multitasking in phones for a reason, and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to have so many apps open imo

And my iPad air never slows down and all my apps stay exactly where I leave them no matter how many I open, except for YouTube which I had paused for a day or so then came back and my video wasn't on.

Quote Originally Posted by 97TAWS6 View Post
    The GN3 has roughly 2.7GB of available RAM, mine will typically be using about 2.3GB, later versions of Android are very good at RAM management, it will use what is available, and free it up when needed. You will actually slow things down, and decrease battery life, if you're constantly trying to clear it manually, if you aren't experiencing lag issues, best to ignore it and leave it alone
    bassplayrguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty502 View Post
    The GN3 has roughly 2.7GB of available RAM, mine will typically be using about 2.3GB, later versions of Android are very good at RAM management, it will use what is available, and free it up when needed. You will actually slow things down, and decrease battery life, if you're constantly trying to clear it manually, if you aren't experiencing lag issues, best to ignore it and leave it alone
    Yes I hear something like this recently, it's better to keep apps open when you know you will use them later, than to keep closing them every second

I noticed my RAM is always at 75%+ full even with all processes stopped. I'm surprised they didn't add more memory when the OS processes require the majority of it. Just 1GB more would be nice. I'm closing apps regularly to ensure I don't max out, and I haven't experienced any lag issues. I guess I could try to overload it and see what happens. I don't mean to complain, I am just pointing out my thoughts. I still love the phone.

Here is my RAM after using HBO Go to send GoT to my Chromecast. I tried to stop the show when it was over and the phone was unresponsive.

Galaxy S5 Needs more RAM.-screenshot_2014-04-14-20-00-06.jpg

Even after clearing RAM with the fast reboot app, I have like 500mb free

-Sent from Tapatalk

Global Posts
    2,424 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I was in the "no more RAM needed" camp until yesterday. This phone (for me) stutters a lot, especially when opening messaging and sending a text. After I close all apps via the task manager it's a little better. My Note 3 doesn't have any issues like this at all. I think with all the features/TouchWiz Samsung packs in, they need to bump it up to 3GB. I'd be curious how much free RAM a GPE S5 would have.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast