I would think using usb 3.0 would charge faster as well

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

No, it charges at the same rate, assuming the same charger

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dvxdiv

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
All GS5's in the states come with the USB3.0 cable.. all over seas GS5's come with the older USB2.0 cable.. not sure why but that seems to be the trend..

Correct. Mine in Belgium has the USB 2.0 cable as well.
Seems to be an .EU standard; but if I recall correctly, the EU demands all manufacturers for cell phones etc to use a 'universal' charger type...
Only Apply (as always) ignores all of that ;-)

PS: and charging from 30% to full charge takes over 3 hours...

KnightZodiac

May 30, 2013
Visit site
With a Powergen 2.1A charger and the MicroUSB 3 cable, my S5 charges from 20% to full in about 30 minutes.
Same charger and a USB 2 cable takes 2 to 3 times as long. It was about the same on my S3.

The Micro USB 3 cable is not at all uncommon. I've already got several of those cables for external hard drives and an external USB 3 hub so the S5 fell right into place with all my existing gear. The connection really screams when doing file transfers to the phone but worth a note you have to tell the phone to go into USB 3 mode otherwise it stays in USB 2 mode. And when in USB 3 mode, it will also force into Airplane mode. There is a warning screen about this.

One of my wifi routers with USB 3 ports has problems with RF and USB 3 not getting along so this is probably the same thing. Regardless, it works fine for file transfers on the S5. Kies backups are fast.

PS: and charging from 30% to full charge takes over 3 hours...

Jez Brook

May 6, 2014
Visit site
To confirm I am also in the UK and I got the usb2 cable it is a shame really, like supply a ferarri that can go really faster ... without wheels.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
With a Powergen 2.1A charger and the MicroUSB 3 cable, my S5 charges from 20% to full in about 30 minutes.
Same charger and a USB 2 cable takes 2 to 3 times as long. It was about the same on my S3.

The Micro USB 3 cable is not at all uncommon. I've already got several of those cables for external hard drives and an external USB 3 hub so the S5 fell right into place with all my existing gear. The connection really screams when doing file transfers to the phone but worth a note you have to tell the phone to go into USB 3 mode otherwise it stays in USB 2 mode. And when in USB 3 mode, it will also force into Airplane mode. There is a warning screen about this.

One of my wifi routers with USB 3 ports has problems with RF and USB 3 not getting along so this is probably the same thing. Regardless, it works fine for file transfers on the S5. Kies backups are fast.

I've never had my S5 charge that fast, even with the phone off. I've used various 2.1A chargers as well, but mostly use the included Samsung charger. Does it charge fast? Sure, but not as fast as you're saying.

The transfer speed advantage of USB3 won't be fully realized until we start seeing faster NAND used in phones and tablets. Honestly, until then it's mostly a gimmick with the side benefit of being able to take more current from a USB3 computer port. We're still limited by the storage itself.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My note 3 charges probably close to 2.5hr with the device on. This is using usb 3.0 with the stock Samsung charger. The s5 has a slightly smaller battery so should charge slightly faster but no where near 80% charge in 30 minutes.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am not denying that you did see the battery meter go up 80%,it is possible that your battery isn't properly calibrated. For example on my note 3, it showed about 30+ minutes Screen on time using 1%

uhuzaha9.jpg

MasterRy88

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys so here is my concern with using my GS4 charger. I was comparing specs and my GS4 charger is 5.0v while the new GS5 charger is 5.3v. Not sure if undervolting it would cause any issues but its strange that they bumped the voltage up considering EVERYTHING that uses microUSB to this point has be 5.0v. Also my GS5 charger is 2.0A not 2.1A and i'm in the states and got the USB3 cable.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't matter. I think Samsung increased it a tiny bit for faster charging. But 5v is standard usb, so definitely no damage.

Scot Harkins

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Folks, keep in mind that cable quality will vary a great deal, too. I have had two like cables from different suppliers charge at significantly different rates using the same charger and same device.

Generally speaking, USB 2.0 and 3.0 cables of like electrical quality should charge the device at the same rate from the same power supply. The USB3 half of the connection only sports enhanced data lines, using a separate set of wire pairs in the 3.0 side of the cable that meet the 3.0 spec. A USB3 cable on a USB2 data port will only use the "USB2" side of the device connector. Likewise, the power pair only runs through the "USB2" side, for both USB3 and USB2 connections.

All of this is in the context of a device connected to a charger, not a computer USB port. The rules about charging differ when connected to a data source like a computer or tablet.

So far, writing in mid-2014, USB3 cables typically follow the official spec for wire guage (read "size" or "diameter") for power and data wires. As more bargain manufacturers take up the market then USB3 cables, just like USB2 cables, will become available at very cheap prices for cables that do not follow the spec, leading to slow charging and sub-optimal data performance. Thinner wires lower the price and decrease the charging rate (smaller wires lose more power to resistance than bigger wires). All wires present resistance, but not all wires present the same resistance.

Two things increase the resistance:
  • Like thin garden hoses passing less water, thinner wires simply carry fewer electrons over a given distance, and lose it more quickly as the distance increases. This is the downfall of cheap cables.
  • Longer wires, simply because a given number of electrons have to travel a longer distance, lose more power the further they go. It is not linear...like "twice the distance being half the charge", but the further it must travel the faster it will drop (exponential). This is where our desire for long cables bites back.

Some chargers, also sometimes called "power blocks", include circuits that identify the connection to the device and adjust their output accordingly. Some do so to "tune the rate of charge" (efficiency), and others do so to "prefer my brand devices and charge them faster" (marketing by negative experience).

Samsung chargers for the most part seem to hold to the basic "charge as best you can", making the full output amperage available, leaving it up to the phone to draw what it can for charging. The cable again plays into the equation, but Samsung USB2 and USB3 cables seem to be consistently good compared to bargain cables.

My best charging comes from either my Samsung USB3 standard cable or my decent 18-inch/46-cm after-market (short) USB3 cable. After that comes a stock Samsung USB2 cable from an older Galaxy S2...it's pretty thin so I imagine the power pair is smaller than the power pair in either USB3 cable. On my Samsung 2.1a charger with the USB3 cable I can get my powered-down Note 3 to 100% in somewhere around 90 minutes. The thinner Samsung USB2 cable does the same in not quite 2 hours.

Chargers are a whole other world of possibilities. Their performance will generally decrease over time (on the order of years), especially if there are other noisy electrical devices on the same electrical circuit. Air conditioners, refrigerators, heaters, other things with larger motors like fans (if they use cheap motors), and so forth, create additional strain that both shorten the working life and impair charging performance at any time. Your line power matters, too...some areas see lower average line voltage than others, usually because of older in-home wiring or "end of a long leg" service usually seen in rural areas, as well as areas where the electrical service in the area has been pushed to its limits (high-growth in short-time).

Chargers go bad, too. Does not matter that they don't have moving parts...the kind of work they do creates heat that ages the parts, including the included electronics in the charger. Low line power and high line power (too little and too much) adds to the heating problem. On top of that, some percentage of new blocks fail in the first 100 hours of service (weeks to months) while the blocks that followed them down the line last years...luck of the draw. Samsung's quality assurance processes seem to weed those out of their production line...I've yet to have one of their chargers die on me, where I have had a number of cheap chargers go bad.

I tell folks to buy name-brand chargers, whether Apple or Samsung or Asus, and look for cables that spec the wire gauge in AWG, usually 28/24...that's "data/power", sometimes reversed to 24/28 for power/data...the smaller number (24) is a thicker wire, which is better for charging at a higher amperage. Also, go for the shortest cable you need, in order to to reduce resistance and improve charging even more. A 1m cable will charge more slowly than a 1/2m cable of the same quality, simply because the electricity has to travel through more (longer) wire.

All of this is from my many years experience working with all sorts of things that use chargers of one sort or another, and more recently chargers that accept any USB cable. I have not measured these on any meters (yet) or other scoping equipment, so my answers are based on experiential evidence and not on actual testing with tools. The principles are valid, though some facts may vary (Samsung may have lots of charger smarts that twiddle their own "knobs", or may not). IOW, most often right, sometimes slightly wrong, rarely dead wrong.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey Guys so here is my concern with using my GS4 charger. I was comparing specs and my GS4 charger is 5.0v while the new GS5 charger is 5.3v. Not sure if undervolting it would cause any issues but its strange that they bumped the voltage up considering EVERYTHING that uses microUSB to this point has be 5.0v. Also my GS5 charger is 2.0A not 2.1A and i'm in the states and got the USB3 cable.

You're okay using the S4 charger. If anything, it may take a little longer to charge.

dactyl2

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Yeah mine is not like that! I wonder why. I'm in the UK and got the phone through Vodafone. Anyone else not have this cable included?

Yes, got mine from EE only micro cable supplied.
Can't understand why they are allowed to boast about these things and not supply them.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
People, you are all over-thinking this. Charging times take a few things into consideration: ie, Voltage output, amp output, cable length, and quality. Obviously Samsung engineers designed our phones to work perfectly with Samsung cables & charging blocks, especially with USB3.0 technology. But all USB3.0 ports are backwards compatible with USB2.0 cables and such. My GS5 majority of the time is charged by my Nexus 7 cable & block, because that is what is next to my recliner in the living room, with no ill effects.

Just be thankful you have chosen a phone manufacturer who progresses with technology with USB3.0, while at the same time allowing you to use USB 2.0 technology should you choose to.

Unlike some companies who change their charging technology, and in order to use past cables or accessories you have to purchase a $30 adapter.

Posted with my badass Galaxy S5

WetVelvet

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
You can use a Micro USB 2 (like the S4 cable) for charging your device that uses a USB3 connector... like on the Note 3 without any problem. You can use any USB3 cable for charging & syncing samsung devices using the USB3.0 cable (eg Note 3). With the S5 and Note 3, i would make sure your ac adaptor is providing at least 2amps if you are not using the ac adaptor that came with your phone.

The USB standards are standards maintained by industry NOT Samsung. The EU for example has passed legislation to ensure that all charging devices for small electronics utilise the Micro/min USB connectors.

You dont have to pay $30 for these cables.. they are available on ebay from $1 each from short cables to long ribbon cables.

WetVelvet

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
The potential difference will affect the amperage (current) being delivered to your phone. If you are using an AC adaptor with 2 amp (or 2.1)rating with a 5V DC supply it should make no difference. You will find that most voltage and currents are regulated anyways to prevent damage to the electronics.

In general the shorter the cable the better... as there are less losses (eg voltage due to the resistance). But you can never tell the quality of the copper within the cables. Generally the stiffer the cable the worse the quality and the higher the resistance and losses.

Last edited:

Robert Clucas

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I have my S5 cord but my actual charger had been broken. I have a few S4 type chargers from various devices. Will the underpowered S4 5.0v charger cause issues if I use it in place of my S5 5.3v charger for an extended period of time?

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You can use a Micro USB 2 (like the S4 cable) for charging your device that uses a USB3 connector... like on the Note 3 without any problem.

You dont have to pay $30 for these cables.. they are available on ebay from $1 each from short cables to long ribbon cables.

I was referring to Apple going from 30-pin connector to the lightning connector. If your device had the lightning port, and you had an accessory with the 30-pin connector, you had to buy an adapter.

Posted with my badass Galaxy S5

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have my S5 cord but my actual charger had been broken. I have a few S4 type chargers from various devices. Will the underpowered S4 5.0v charger cause issues if I use it in place of my S5 5.3v charger for an extended period of time?

The older chargers will not charge the s5 battery in a reasonable amount of time.

They must be rated at least a minimum of 2 amps like the OEM Samsung charger is.

sandesh98

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I also have the same old cable, which came with my new S5 bought online (ebay.in) in India. I suppose, the latest or new USB3 cable has been introduced only in specific markets and not in India/UK ?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc