Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Charging S5 with micro USB (not micro USB3) charger from S4

Can there be any downsides to using the S4 charger which has only micro USB (not micro USB3) plug? That means only the right hand side of the micro USB3 female port is used on the S5.

If i keep the original S5 charger at my desk, I need another charger by my bedside.

What might be your solution short of bringing the S5 back and forth daily?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Charging S5 with micro USB (not micro USB3) charger from S4

Purchase another charger? I'm thinking of going the wireless charging route myself

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

No they both charge at the same speed if ur using the same amp power brick. USB 3.0 is mainly for file transfer speed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 3:
    nikkisharif likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

so essentially, the left half of the micro USB3 port is for data only? only the right half portion is for charging?

my S5 charger looks exactly the same as my S3 one, it only fits in the right hand side of the port. Should it be different? There was only one cable in the box.

My charger fits in the whole thing. It's got like 2 parts. Looks like this...except white obviously.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Abbott View Post
    My charger fits in the whole thing. It's got like 2 parts. Looks like this...except white obviously.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3163871/usbmicrob.jpg
    Yeah mine is not like that! I wonder why. I'm in the UK and got the phone through Vodafone. Anyone else not have this cable included?

I can not remember the thread or even the forum for that matter, but I def remember some people reporting the same thing as you. Not sure if they were in UK or not. I'm in the states for what it's worth. Weird!
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Abbott View Post

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3163871/usbmicrob.jpg
    mine is just like the way Chris Abbott described it. the micro USB3 side has seemingly 2 parts connected by a very thin bottom piece of thin metal. one side is slightly larger than the other side. this slightly larger side is the power charging side, as my S4's micro USB2 plugs right into it and the S4 charger charges it overnight seemingly fine. My concern and thus this thread was intended to find out IF there are negatives or downsides of complications or ruining something by using the S4 charger which ONLY goes into the right half of the micro USB3 port of my S5. So far, no one has yet address that specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Dualmonitors View Post
    My concern and thus this thread was intended to find out IF there are negatives or downsides of complications or ruining something by using the S4 charger which ONLY goes into the right half of the micro USB3 port of my S5. So far, no one has yet address that specifically.
    Well obviously I've only been using a cable which goes into the right half of the port since I got the phone on Friday, as that's all I have! It charges the phone fine, no issues so far, except wondering why my cable didn't have 2 parts.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbley View Post
    Well obviously I've only been using a cable which goes into the right half of the port since I got the phone on Friday, as that's all I have! It charges the phone fine, no issues so far, except wondering why my cable didn't have 2 parts.
    imho, you've been short changed.

micro USB3 and USB3 (non micro) in general has a huge throughput compared with USB2. thus, whenever you use the included cable to connect to a computer to transfer files, it is way way faster to use a USB3 cable rather than a conventional USB2 cable. you should call Vodafone to inquire.

I would think using usb 3.0 would charge faster as well

imho, you've been short changed.

micro USB3 and USB3 (non micro) in general has a huge throughput compared with USB2. thus, whenever you use the included cable to connect to a computer to transfer files, it is way way faster to use a USB3 cable rather than a conventional USB2 cable. you should call Vodafone to inquire.
    I will give them a ring, thanks. Really weird that they'd put in an old cable though.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I received the white cable that plugs in to both parts of the port. how ever right now im using the usb charger from my S3 to charge the S5 here at work.. it only goes in the right side of the port

So I rang Vodafone who said it was a Samsung issue, then rang Samsung who said it was a Vodafone issue :/ anyway Samsung have agreed to look into it but I don't hold out much hope of getting the right cable.

I found this on the Guardian review of the S5
    Like the Galaxy Note 3 before it, the S5 packs USB 3.0 for faster file transfers, but Samsung strangely fails to ship a USB 3.0 cable in the box - there's only a standard USB 2 microUSB cable.
    It's really strange. But I guess if Samsung are shipping them with USB 2 cables then they can't do any harm to the phone...

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Can there be any downsides to using the S4 charger which has only micro USB (not micro USB3) plug? That means only the right hand side of the micro USB3 female port is used on the S5.

If i keep the original S5 charger at my desk, I need another charger by my bedside.

What might be your solution short of bringing the S5 back and forth daily?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900T using AC Forums mobile app
    By definition, there should be no disadvantage from a charging perspective. The micro-usb socket was designed in a split fashion SPECIFICALLY to accept a previous-generation micro-usb connector, so that USB 3.0 sockets are backward-compatible with usb 2.0 cables (but data rates are only as fast as the target device can support over those previous-generation cables, i.e. a USB 3.0 device will not speak to a USB 3.0 socket at higher than USB 2.0 speeds when using a previous generation cable). Pins 1 and 5 (first and last in the trapezoidal section) are the only ones responsible for powering the bus, and they are present in both types of connector. The remaining pins in the other half of the connector (the rectangular section) are there for the higher-data-rate full-duplex communications.

As an added bonus, as long as you have a 2.1A charger, you also won't receive the "charge faster with the original charger" message.

Mark
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

i actually like the uber well designed Anker 5 USB port 40-watt, 8A desktop charger.

it really cleans up the mess of "wall warts" so you have that one single deck of cards-sized Anker, with 5 USB ports, which really should suffice for most folks' devices that they use day-to-day. these ports are supposed to be "smart" so they do a handshake first, ascertaining what the needs are, and then it would put out sufficient juice to satisfy that device it is trying to charge.

as i might have previously mentioned, after perusing the websites and users' reviews of both Anker and Mophine, i get the distinct impression that Mophie is overly Apple-oriented and Anker, on the other hand, is brand agnostic. This is a big advantage to those of us with numerous non-Apple devices. I have a Samsung TabPro, S5, etc. I definitely want an accessory maker who supports wholeheartedly Android devices and not as an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbley View Post
    Yeah mine is not like that! I wonder why. I'm in the UK and got the phone through Vodafone. Anyone else not have this cable included?
    All GS5's in the states come with the USB3.0 cable.. all over seas GS5's come with the older USB2.0 cable.. not sure why but that seems to be the trend..

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    137 Global Posts

I've been charging with my old S3 charger and car charger no problem. Strangely the first time I charged it, it wouldn't go past 80% this way. After I used the USB3 cable to charge it up to 100% the USB 2 cables worked all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrocker89 View Post
    I would think using usb 3.0 would charge faster as well

No, it charges at the same rate, assuming the same charger

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    rob damiani likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by schwanz583 View Post
    All GS5's in the states come with the USB3.0 cable.. all over seas GS5's come with the older USB2.0 cable.. not sure why but that seems to be the trend..
    Correct. Mine in Belgium has the USB 2.0 cable as well.
    Seems to be an .EU standard; but if I recall correctly, the EU demands all manufacturers for cell phones etc to use a 'universal' charger type...
    Only Apply (as always) ignores all of that ;-)

PS: and charging from 30% to full charge takes over 3 hours...

With a Powergen 2.1A charger and the MicroUSB 3 cable, my S5 charges from 20% to full in about 30 minutes.
    Same charger and a USB 2 cable takes 2 to 3 times as long. It was about the same on my S3.

The Micro USB 3 cable is not at all uncommon. I've already got several of those cables for external hard drives and an external USB 3 hub so the S5 fell right into place with all my existing gear. The connection really screams when doing file transfers to the phone but worth a note you have to tell the phone to go into USB 3 mode otherwise it stays in USB 2 mode. And when in USB 3 mode, it will also force into Airplane mode. There is a warning screen about this.

One of my wifi routers with USB 3 ports has problems with RF and USB 3 not getting along so this is probably the same thing. Regardless, it works fine for file transfers on the S5. Kies backups are fast.

Quote Originally Posted by dvxdiv View Post
    PS: and charging from 30% to full charge takes over 3 hours...

To confirm I am also in the UK and I got the usb2 cable it is a shame really, like supply a ferarri that can go really faster ... without wheels.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,224 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by KnightZodiac View Post
    With a Powergen 2.1A charger and the MicroUSB 3 cable, my S5 charges from 20% to full in about 30 minutes.
    Same charger and a USB 2 cable takes 2 to 3 times as long. It was about the same on my S3.

The Micro USB 3 cable is not at all uncommon. I've already got several of those cables for external hard drives and an external USB 3 hub so the S5 fell right into place with all my existing gear. The connection really screams when doing file transfers to the phone but worth a note you have to tell the phone to go into USB 3 mode otherwise it stays in USB 2 mode. And when in USB 3 mode, it will also force into Airplane mode. There is a warning screen about this.

One of my wifi routers with USB 3 ports has problems with RF and USB 3 not getting along so this is probably the same thing. Regardless, it works fine for file transfers on the S5. Kies backups are fast.
    I've never had my S5 charge that fast, even with the phone off. I've used various 2.1A chargers as well, but mostly use the included Samsung charger. Does it charge fast? Sure, but not as fast as you're saying.

The transfer speed advantage of USB3 won't be fully realized until we start seeing faster NAND used in phones and tablets. Honestly, until then it's mostly a gimmick with the side benefit of being able to take more current from a USB3 computer port. We're still limited by the storage itself.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by 2:
    dpham00UJ95x 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast