Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Fingerprint scanner discussion

Not sure there is a thread for this specific feature so I'll start one. How is it working for you guys? I don't have the device, but to me it seems extremely useless in its current form, because it isn't a natural motion, where as in the iPhone it's more natural than swiping your finger downward.

Anyway, how are you guys liking the feature?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Fingerprint scanner discussion

I haven't even tried to use it.

I find it annoying. I really want to use it, but I don't b/c it's not forgiving and only being able to unlock the phone in a specific way from a specific part of the screen is not convenient.

I've been using it and, while I was skeptical at first, I've come to like it. It's been generally accurate for me and gets you into the phone quickly. It may not be as "natural" as Apple's version, but you get accustomed to it. I've only been using my right thumb to scan, at a 45 degree angle or so (though it's generally pretty forgiving if the angle's not the same). It actually works ok one-handed too (at least with my right hand; can't get it to do as well left handed).
    here4kids likes this.

I've used it a few times but I think it's just a gimmick. I really don't need it.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Thiscrapsucks35 View Post
    I find it annoying. I really want to use it, but I don't b/c it's not forgiving and only being able to unlock the phone in a specific way from a specific part of the screen is not convenient.
    Yea, same way I think about it, it's just very weird. They should have just straight copied apple instead of trying to do things differently just to say they didn't copy them

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

I have been using it and I am getting much better at it. 1 or 2 tries does it now. I set up 2 thumb scans 1 w/both hands holding phone, 1 w/1 hand holding phone and 1 w/my index finger. Hope to have it working on 1st try by mid week.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Yea, same way I think about it, it's just very weird. They should have just straight copied apple instead of trying to do things differently just to say they didn't copy them

As if Apple and Samsung don't have enough patent issues to litigate over...
    Xm_jdm likes this.

I tried it out and I actually like it. I have it set up this way right now. You can register 3 fingerprints with the phone. I like it, no problems really.
    Denisej likes this.

I've been using it everyday and actually like it. It's pretty accurate and I can usually access my phone in one try. However, it took me three attempts the other day and I had to enter either my email and password or PIN number. My recommendation is, to remember your password since I do not. Lol

Posted via Android Central App

I LOVE it, I use it daily and its so much faster than pin to me
    So much easier to unlock the phone in my car as well
    It works about 95% of the time for me
    I also like the extra security, cuz my cousins used to figure my pin and unlock my phone...not this time
    Denisej likes this.

I use it all the time. I reads my finger fine 99% of the time.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by jonebk12 View Post
    True, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post

Lol.. Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    I LOVE it, I use it daily and its so much faster than pin to me
    So much easier to unlock the phone in my car as well
    It works about 95% of the time for me
    I also like the extra security, cuz my cousins used to figure my pin and unlock my phone...not this time
    Do you have any idea how to reset your pin?

Quote Originally Posted by mrg4512 View Post
    Do you have any idea how to reset your pin?

Go into settings, put in your old pin, and then you can change it
    If you forgot it, there used to be a "forgot pin" on my S4, maybe its there after u get it wrong a few times

Global Posts
    5,739 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jonebk12 View Post
    Apple: If we can't innovate, we'll litigate.
    smooth4lyfe and japetty like this.

Its annoying. Sitting on the couch it mostly works. Walking down the street or in the car, and it fails more than it works.

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Its useless with my case

Ok, mine is doing something really weird. I don't know if this is intended functionality or not.

If I have FPS set as the unlock method, and I turn the screen on, but not swipe my finger, after a while, the keyboard will pop up prompting me to enter the backup pw.

Seems like the screen should just turn off instead of pulling the keyboard up. Does this happen to anyone else?

I actually find it useful and quick to unlock with one hand when using my thumb. I have gotten to a point where I can do it without even looking directly at my phone when I'm grabbing it. I'm sure everyone's experience will vary. I did notice however, that you have to adjust your swiping motion depending on the type of case you have compared to no case.

Probably my favorite feature of the phone, beyond the camera and screen, is the fingerprint reader. It's very easy to use. It is 100% accurate with my index fingers when holding the phone stable or when it is on my desk and about 95% accurate one handed with my right thumb.

I do wish you could program more than three fingers. I used 2 of the slots for my right thumb (different angles) and 1 for my index fingers (so that it works with both hands). I honestly think it is heavily underrated and unless you don't care about security, I'm not sure how you can call it a gimmick (like the heart rate monitor, which IS a gimmick).

Two things...I can't wait for app developers to program apps that use it so that my App Lock runs off fingerprint instead of passcode or pattern (which is easily hacked). Secondly, Applke's version is better but Samsung's is better than nothing. I would give Apple an A (not an A-plus because of still existing degradation issues) and Samsung an A-.

Anyone had issues with the scanner not working when the phone is charging, mine isn't even recognising that I'm swiping, as soon as I remove the charging cable it unlocks first time

Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Carrier
    R.D.D.T ND2 v1

Quote Originally Posted by Kylie301 View Post
    Anyone had issues with the scanner not working when the phone is charging, mine isn't even recognising that I'm swiping, as soon as I remove the charging cable it unlocks first time
    Maybe a setting somewhere?

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

I think I have operator error.I have finger print setup ok.And I have it to use finger print for lock screen.
    However the only time the phone wants to use finger print is AFTER I turn phone off and back on?Shouldnt it be using finger print to UNLOCK the home screen all the time?
    Thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast