thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Short and sweet.
Camera - S5
Battery - S5
How it feels in hand - S5

These three matter to me the most. Yes the M8 is pretty but it's like trying to hold onto a slippery banana and yes it is also as long as a banana. Blink Feed is a novelty as is touch wiz so who cares. The camera on the S5 is the only android camera that I have ever owned that beats my 5S. The M8 camera is crap....I know that people keep saying its not but it really is crap. Battery on the S5 hands down beats the M8, no question. Sooooo, my son gets the S5. I am waiting for the google edition. Of course though I hope that the GE is 32gb. If the next gen Moto X actually comes with a camera I may take a hard look at it but as of right now my iPhone 5S is still my daily driver. If you even have one second thought between the M8 and S5, don't. The S5 is the clear winner.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've played with an S5 but I want to play with an M8 soon.. See how it adds up for me :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Glad someone else thinks the S5 feels better in hand than the M8. And I'm so tired of the review sites and videos talking about a "premium feel". My S5 feels solid. Not creeky or cheap. Feels real substantial in the hand and I don't have to worry about it slipping out. The M8 would be fine at times, but after washing my hands or on a cool/dry day it would feel like a bar of soap in my hands.

The M8 is a great phone, just not for me. My M8 is now delegated to being a test device for my apps.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Agreed.
Glad someone else thinks the S5 feels better in hand than the M8. And I'm so tired of the review sites and videos talking about a "premium feel". My S5 feels solid. Not creeky or cheap. Feels real substantial in the hand and I don't have to worry about it slipping out. The M8 would be fine at times, but after washing my hands or on a cool/dry day it would feel like a bar of soap in my hands.

The M8 is a great phone, just not for me. My M8 is now delegated to being a test device for my apps.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
My M8 has never slipped out of my hand. That being said, I think they both feel OK in hand.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Short and sweet.
Camera - S5
Battery - S5
How it feels in hand - S5

These three matter to me the most. Yes the M8 is pretty but it's like trying to hold onto a slippery banana and yes it is also as long as a banana. Blink Feed is a novelty as is touch wiz so who cares. The camera on the S5 is the only android camera that I have ever owned that beats my 5S. The M8 camera is crap....I know that people keep saying its not but it really is crap. Battery on the S5 hands down beats the M8, no question. Sooooo, my son gets the S5. I am waiting for the google edition. Of course though I hope that the GE is 32gb. If the next gen Moto X actually comes with a camera I may take a hard look at it but as of right now my iPhone 5S is still my daily driver. If you even have one second thought between the M8 and S5, don't. The S5 is the clear winner.

Had the M8 for about 3 days. Almost dropped it several times, which I have never done with any other phone. It's just awkward to hold. And when I put it in my front pocket, the buttons are constantly activated. By day two, it also seems boring, though it did have one or two nice features. Currently, I have a G2 and got the GS5 on Friday, I've not owned a Galaxy device since the Verizon Galaxy, but have tried others and didn't like them. It's a tough sell this time. I'm seriously considering holding onto the GS5 and selling my G2. I'm impressed with the phone. I feel also that some of the reviews they give, just contain bad information and then people who want to hate the phone, feel like they now have concrete evidence to do so. I took the camera for a spin around central park yesterday. My friend had a 5s, we took shots of the the same scenes. Needless to say that he was totally pissed that he could not get shots against bright light, even in HDR. The iphone just could not handle it. He's now considering android.

p.s. he was really pissed when I offered to send him a copy of the shots I had taken with the GS5. lol.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
No doubt. The S5 camera is better than my 5S. Don't get me wrong, the iPhones camera is very nice but the S5 is better.
Had the M8 for about 3 days. Almost dropped it several times, which I have never done with any other phone. It's just awkward to hold. And when I put it in my front pocket, the buttons are constantly activated. By day two, it also seems boring, though it did have one or two nice features. Currently, I have a G2 and got the GS5 on Friday, I've not owned a Galaxy device since the Verizon Galaxy, but have tried others and didn't like them. It's a tough sell this time. I'm seriously considering holding onto the GS5 and selling my G2. I'm impressed with the phone. I feel also that some of the reviews they give, just contain bad information and then people who want to hate the phone, feel like they now have concrete evidence to do so. I took the camera for a spin around central park yesterday. My friend had a 5s, we took shots of the the same scenes. Needless to say that he was totally pissed that he could not get shots against bright light, even in HDR. The iphone just could not handle it. He's now considering android.

p.s. he was really pissed when I offered to send him a copy of the shots I had taken with the GS5. lol.

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
The M8 camera is 4MP with no image stabilization. Of course it's going to look inferior to the S5 camera, which is 16MP with image stabilization.

You only buy an M8 if you are more interested in external speakers than pictures.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Can you comment on signal strength and speaker quality/loudness? Multiple people have stated the S5 has significantly worse signal strength than the S4/5S/Note 3. Have you found this to be the case?

Regarding speaker quality, I was truly inpressed by the M8's BoomSound speakers. How does the S5 compare, is it still remotely usable as there have been reports it quiet and muffled.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

rahxephon

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
The M8 camera is 4MP with no image stabilization. Of course it's going to look inferior to the S5 camera, which is 16MP with image stabilization.

You only buy an M8 if you are more interested in external speakers than pictures.

I think the M8 camera can be improved through software updates. The stock cam app or a third party can hopefully address some of the most glaring issues such as the blown out highlights with outdoor pics. Good exposure is a constant battle, no matter how expensive or high tech the camera.

isitme

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My M8 has never slipped out of my hand. That being said, I think they both feel OK in hand.

I couldn't agree more.

Also, I wasn't looking to buy a camera when I bought the S5 and the M8. I do think they were both like Apple's 'S' upgrades, but awesome to say the least.

kingvanimal

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I own both , does that make me the best on the interwebs lol? It's all personal preference, people get to bent out of shape over comparing both.

That said I think everyone is blowing the whole slippery thing out of the water. I have not once had the phone slip from my hand in the 9 days I have had the phone. Maybe I just have big gorilla paws. "That's what she said" :)

You can't just claim the phone is super slippery if you don't own it or have only held it in your hand for a few minutes. I noticed while using it all day you're natural fingerprints and oil from your hands help it become more tacky if that makes sense.

Now the phone can slide really easy if you were to put it in your hoodie front pocket if you at the gym or something. Which is expected its aluminum.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

Ignoring the M8 in particular, which I have yet to try, I pretty much think that most of the high end phones, Samsung, HTC, etc, are so thin, sleek and slippery that I'm scared to death to use them without a case. It's pretty to look at and wonderful that they are light and thin, but it is at the point of turning a virtue into a flaw. Or, at least making cases inevitable, in which event it doesn't much matter what the actual phone looks like. ;)

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Wait the HTC One M8's camera is 4MP? The OG Moto Droid from 2009 had a 5MP one. LOL.

Without getting into an argument, there's a world of difference between the M8's 4MP shooter and the OG Droid's 5MP shooter. That's like trying to compare 4 cylinder engines in cars built 10 years apart. Numbers are meaningless. Go look at real world performance.

Chris Abbott

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Without getting into an argument, there's a world of difference between the M8's 4MP shooter and the OG Droid's 5MP shooter. That's like trying to compare 4 cylinder engines in cars built 10 years apart. Numbers are meaningless. Go look at real world performance.

I'm sure the HTC's camera is better than the OG droid. But still, surprised it's only 4MP.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2