S5 Fingerprint Scanner: Easy one hand use

Dgree03

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I have seen many reviews claiming that it is nearly impossible to use the fingerprint scanner one handed. I have successfully setup the scanner with both my thumbs and my right index finger. When I setup my thumbs, I just scanned my thumb over the sensor sideways (the natural position of your thumb when holding the phone one handed). Now whenever I unlock my phoneI just do a quick swipe down with my thumb and it work 90% of the time.

When it doesn't work is when I am not covering the entire home button with my thumb.

Just thought I would pass that along.... :)

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm having really mixed results with the scanner. It seems if you don't do a perfect swipe it won't grant access. It's really touchy. Not sure how to feel yet. The first time I registered a print, I would get like 1/10. After re-registering I can get 8/10 so better but not great. Long way to go.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I registered both my thumbs the regular vertical way and and I'm still able to unlock one hand...your thumb doesn't have to be completely vertical to work, just needs to cover the whole home button

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Dgree03

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I will see if I can post a video, but I have owned a 5s and I think Samsungs scanner is just as good, so long as you set it up naturally.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mrg4512

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
My fingerprint scanner works awesome. However, I forgot my pin and can't find where to reset it. Does anyone know?

Posted via Android Central App

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I have seen many reviews claiming that it is nearly impossible to use the fingerprint scanner one handed. I have successfully setup the scanner with both my thumbs and my right index finger. When I setup my thumbs, I just scanned my thumb over the sensor sideways (the natural position of your thumb when holding the phone one handed). Now whenever I unlock my phoneI just do a quick swipe down with my thumb and it work 90% of the time.

When it doesn't work is when I am not covering the entire home button with my thumb.

Just thought I would pass that along.... :)

Yep, it's all about scanning your fingerprint into the memory that way

-Sent from Tapatalk

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, no video, but I can confirm it works one handed. I'm actually really impressed -- I got it on the first try the last three times. I really didn't think it was going to work well.

whoadizzle

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I finally figured it out. I kept getting tons of errors and now after messing with the fingerprint scanner for 20 minutes to make it work easy you have to apply lots of pressure. Not enough to push the button but a lot more than I was doing for the past few days. I have no problem now.

whoadizzle

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Also for one handed operation I found it nice to hold it one handed while setting up the fingerprint. I had my pinky underneath so I slide my thumb to my pinky then at an angle to the right and down and that works pretty well.

Dgree03

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Also for one handed operation I found it nice to hold it one handed while setting up the fingerprint. I had my pinky underneath so I slide my thumb to my pinky then at an angle to the right and down and that works pretty well.

Exactly! Easy!

Sent from my S5

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I ended up setting up the same thumb for all three profiles to increase the chance of a proper read. I do find that for some reason, if it can't get it by the second or third swipe, it's just not going to work. So it may be a software rather than hardware/technique issue.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I unlock mine one hand and I didn't have to register my thumb sideways
Once you register your thumb the normal way, it will still recognize ur thumb to unlock ur phone if u unlock it with ur thumb slightly turned... It doesn't have to be perfectly vertical to unlock the phone

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I am starting to think it is a software problem, where the processing software isn't ready when you start swiping. I find that if I wait a couple of seconds before swiping, I have a much greater hit rate. At least double.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I think I figured out the trick to the scanner for one handed operation.

Rest your thumb on the home button so that half of the thumb is already covering the scanner. Then flick it across the scanner. When you set it up, do this at slightly different angles and speeds. If you do it identically each time, it will require a very specific angle and speed to unlock.

After I did this, I was able to unlock it on the first try ten times in a row.