Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Pictures better on Galaxy S5 than iPhone 5S?

I currently have an iPhone 5s and am getting sick of Apple for several reasons. I'm interested in making the switch to Android and like the Galaxy phones. My main interest in switching is the camera potential. The iPhone 5s takes pretty good pictures but not as great when you enlarge or print them out. I'm mainly taking pictures of my daughter at home, outside, etc. Do you think the camera and picture quality of the GS5 (along with some of the other features) are worth changing from the 5s?

Picture quality is most important to me but I'm unfamiliar with Android phones. I like more about their potential than the camera though. Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-14-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Default Re: Pictures better on GS5 than iPhone 5s?

Quote Originally Posted by alil25 View Post
    I currently have an iPhone 5s and am getting sick of Apple for several reasons. I'm interested in making the switch to Android and like the Galaxy phones. My main interest in switching is the camera potential. The iPhone 5s takes pretty good pictures but not as great when you enlarge or print them out. I'm mainly taking pictures of my daughter at home, outside, etc. Do you think the camera and picture quality of the GS5 (along with some of the other features) are worth changing from the 5s?

Picture quality is most important to me but I'm unfamiliar with Android phones. I like more about their potential than the camera though. Thanks for any help!
    I have always been happy with the pictures I got out of my iPhone 5S but after a day yesterday with my S5 and checking out the photos after, I am seeing better quality photos.
    Thanked by:
    alil25 

Last edited by Xm_jdm; 04-14-2014 at 05:46 PM.

Personally I haven't taken too many pictures to compare them w/ my old iPhone photos but I have read that the camera on the s5 is a big improvement and the writers/reviewers all said that Samsung finally is going in the right direction w/ their camera. I'm sure others who tested this on this forum can chime in and let us know what they personally think.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks! I'm new to this site so I'll keep checking. I've become obsessed with searching for reviews! I'm an electronics geek and want to go buy it now and play with it but I need to know how picture quality is first.

Thanks! I'm new to this site so I'll keep checking. I've become obsessed with searching for reviews! I'm an electronics geek and want to go buy it now and play with it but I need to know how picture quality is first.
    You should go to your local phone store and check it out there. I do that sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by neonworm View Post
    You should go to your local phone store and check it out there. I do that sometimes.
    Good idea. It is a bit tough to judge the picture taking ability of the phone just by looking at the phones in the phone store though.

Quote Originally Posted by marrzie View Post
    Good idea. It is a bit tough to judge the picture taking ability of the phone just by looking at the phones in the phone store though.
    Good point.

Galaxy S5 Pictures better on Galaxy S5 than iPhone 5S?-20140414_165848.jpg Pictures better on Galaxy S5 than iPhone 5S?-20140414_165912.jpg
    iPhone 5s Pictures better on Galaxy S5 than iPhone 5S?-img_0365.jpg Pictures better on Galaxy S5 than iPhone 5S?-img_0366.jpg

Here's an indoor and outdoor sample. Galaxy on top, iPhone on bottom. Sorry if they aren't great photos, was in a hurry. Both set to Auto, with HDR turned off. My Galaxy S5 is set to 8MP 4:3. Not sure what the iPhone was set to, assuming the default setting. Hope this helps.

EDIT: The color reproduction is more accurate on the Galaxy on the outdoor shot, particularly the sky. The color on the indoor shot is more accurate on the iPhone.
    Last edited by hybrisate; 04-14-2014 at 07:26 PM.
    Thanked by 2:

I think it's safe to say that at the worst, the S5 is not at any disadvantage relative to the iPhone, which for a number of years was the best non-Lumia camera available. With the S5, I don't think that iPhone owners have an advantage at all, although I don't think that Sammy's is night and day better...just equal in most respects, better in some (real time HDR is awesome and panorama is a bit faster too, in my experience). About the only thing that Apple REALLY has a solid advantage on is the self-propelled panorama!

I'd always take a good Samsung camera over an Apple one because I think the pictures you can get with a samsung have more detail. The iPhone 5S has a great camera, with good colour accuracy and it is very easy to use, you can literally just point and shoot and you are guaranteed of getting a good shot. The camera on my note 3 is not as easy to use and in some settings i. e low light the 5S is just better period. However I prefer the pics I get from my note 3 in good lighting.

I've not used the S5 camera yet but I'd say that it's equal to if not better than the 5S camera.

Posted from my galaxy note 3
    Posted from my iPad mini/Air.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Default Re: Pictures better on Galaxy S5 than iPhone 5s?

Quote Originally Posted by hybrisate View Post
    Galaxy S5 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140414_165848.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	267.3 KB 
ID:	112577 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140414_165912.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	647.1 KB 
ID:	112578
    iPhone 5s Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	370.9 KB 
ID:	112579 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0366.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	531.0 KB 
ID:	112580

Here's an indoor and outdoor sample. Galaxy on top, iPhone on bottom. Sorry if they aren't great photos, was in a hurry. Both set to Auto, with HDR turned off. My Galaxy S5 is set to 8MP 4:3. Not sure what the iPhone was set to, assuming the default setting. Hope this helps.

EDIT: The color reproduction is more accurate on the Galaxy on the outdoor shot, particularly the sky. The color on the indoor shot is more accurate on the iPhone.
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking those.

And thanks for all of your responses, everyone is very helpful.

Global Posts
    512 Global Posts

Comparing cameras cannot accurately be done viewing pics on the phones themselves. The Galaxy has a bigger screen and more vivid, yet inaccurate, colors. Viewing the photos on a separate device is a must butcan be difficult for most to make happen. I can't imagine that the S5 is significantly better, if at all, than the 5S though and if a switch to a better camera is required you should invest in an actual camera. Or one of the ridiculous megapixel Nokias.

Posted via Android Central App
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by jschu22 View Post
    Comparing cameras cannot accurately be done viewing pics on the phones themselves. The Galaxy has a bigger screen and more vivid, yet inaccurate, colors. Viewing the photos on a separate device is a must butcan be difficult for most to make happen. I can't imagine that the S5 is significantly better, if at all, than the 5S though and if a switch to a better camera is required you should invest in an actual camera. Or one of the ridiculous megapixel Nokias.

I'm not expecting DSLR quality from a camera phone but am interested in making the switch to Android from Apple but want to make sure the camera is either as good as, or better than, the one I'm currently using. I certainly don't want to downgrade. I just want to be able to take good quality pictures of my daughter and every day situations that I can email to our families out-of-state and also have them printed out while maintaining good quality. Some of my indoor 5s photos aren't that great. Basically ... I want to get the S5, I just need to make sure it's worth it.

I took many pictures of my kids with the S5 camera this weekend. Coming from the S3, the most impressive thing is the ability to take usable pictures in low light and night time. The real-time HDR is also really great. With picture stabilization, I was able to get shots in really dim places, and with HDR I was able to take night scenes without street lamps getting too overexposed. The pictures come out somehwat soft and noisy, but pretty impressive for a smartphone camera. It is difficult to get a shot without blur in low light when kids are moving, but this is hard with any camera. There are many comparisons between the 5S and S5 cameras online - I would Google these and look through a bunch of them (with the understanding that most comparisons are done in auto mode). The upshot seems to be that the S5 camera takes more detailed and superior pictures in daylight but the low light and flash performance is maybe not as good. If you are inclined to try the S5, I do not think the camera is a dealbreaker by any means.

I'm not expecting DSLR quality from a camera phone but am interested in making the switch to Android from Apple but want to make sure the camera is either as good as, or better than, the one I'm currently using. I certainly don't want to downgrade. I just want to be able to take good quality pictures of my daughter and every day situations that I can email to our families out-of-state and also have them printed out while maintaining good quality. Some of my indoor 5s photos aren't that great. Basically ... I want to get the S5, I just need to make sure it's worth it.
    Thanked by:
    alil25 

I just picked up an S5, however I must say the slo-mo feature on the iPhone 5s is Way Better than the slo-mo on the galaxy S5.

Global Posts
    512 Global Posts

I understand, just wouldn't want you to make a switch if it were almost completely for camera reasons. Results may vary but there just doesn't seem to be a night and day difference between the two. Now if there were other reasons as well and the S5 hits on those, go for it.

I personally have found it more difficult to take consistently great photos with the S5 thus far compared to my 5S.

Thanked by:
    alil25 
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by jschu22 View Post
    I understand, just wouldn't want you to make a switch if it were almost completely for camera reasons. Results may vary but there just doesn't seem to be a night and day difference between the two. Now if there were other reasons as well and the S5 hits on those, go for it.

I personally have found it more difficult to take consistently great photos with the S5 thus far compared to my 5S.

Thank you! I'm interested in being able to customize Android more than Apple (font choices, color/background, etc). Really, the only reason I feel tied down to Apple is because everyone in my family has one and because of what I've paid for in my music and apps. I guess I also just stick with it because it's what I'm familiar with. I took some indoor pictures with my 5s today with good lighting and they're pretty grainy when uploaded directly from my phone to the computer.

Decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    I have always been happy with the pictures I got out of my iPhone 5S but after a day yesterday with my S5 and checking out the photos after, I am seeing better quality photos.
    I second this. My 5S pics were awesome until today that I tried my s5 and holy sh*t the auto focus kicks a** It is about 20 times faster than the 5s

Thanked by:
    alil25 

Quote Originally Posted by icellphones32 View Post
    I just picked up an S5, however I must say the slo-mo feature on the iPhone 5s is Way Better than the slo-mo on the galaxy S5.
    What makes the iPhone's better?
    ~S
    iPhone 5s - 32gb Space Grey | Nexus 7 (2013) 32gb | iPhone 5 - 16gb White
    iPhone 4s - 64gb White | iPhone 4s - 32gb White | iPhone 4 - 32gb White