Wifi is not connecting automatically on S5. I need to manually connect to wifi every time

ryetronics

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE:

A few hours after posting this my Galaxy pushed a software update. After the update the problem is now fixed on both my home network and work. So yes, for me at least, it was definitely software related. I didn't have to make any adjustments to routers.

cyberkeeper1

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Having this problem on my s3? Only did it on 4.3 and up. On 4.2.2 and 4.1.2 in my galaxy s3, it never even asked. On 4.3+ I understand it's some kind of new check to see if it's a hotspot or proxy. Any idea how to disable this extra step if rooted? I don't know how just now. I don't like it. It's a nag to me. When I walk in i expect my wifi to be already connected, so i dont understand the extra step nonsense.

Last edited:

Jesse Millwood

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE:

A few hours after posting this my Galaxy pushed a software update. After the update the problem is now fixed on both my home network and work. So yes, for me at least, it was definitely software related. I didn't have to make any adjustments to routers.

I have had my S5 since it was released and I have loved it but the last two weeks my wifi has not been connecting automatically to my home, work, or school networks and it did just fine up until about the time of this update it seems.

KariNich85

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
This just started happening to me yesterday, my wifi will randomly drop (at home AND work) and I'll have to go in and manually tell it to connect again. I have all the right things checked and it's been working fine for the past 5 months and now all of a sudden doesn't. So it HAS to be a phone issue. It's getting really annoying because it did it last night while I was listening to music and ate up quite a bit of data because of it. This is definitely a bug that Samsung needs to fix

isnoop

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue here. It's happening at home and work. Started about a couple weeks ago on my month-old Verizon GS5. I have a GS4 and another GS5 at home and this problem doesn't happen on either of those phones.

The problem device is set up as described in the previous post with the screenshot and doesn't exhibit any other problems.

Possible solution:
I've uninstalled FireChat in the hopes that will solve the problem. I know the app does special things with the wifi when not connected (it can chat with others nearby when you're not on the internet), so it is possible it interferes with re-connecting to wifi on Samsung devices. After uninstalling the app and rebooting the phone, it reconnected to wifi, so things look promising. I'll do some more testing and follow up.

hondakawi

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
A little update of my findings on this problem.

I regularly connect to 2 modems, home and work. They both connect automatically with no problem except after restarting the work one (a fairly new BT modem). It needs a restart for an unrelated printer problem and the restart triggers in the need to manually connect the S5. It's as simple as selecting the router and clicking on connect in settings. Other phones in the office do not have this issue, just the S5.

I don't yet know if the same issue will apply to the home modem as I've yet to try a restart of it.

I have a Galaxy S5. All the settings on the phone are correct. But was having same problem as you guys, until I went into my modem/router unit settings and reset the 'Telnet timeout' setting from '30 min' to 'never timeout'. Been a couple days and no problems so far! Before I did this I would always get the 'sign in required' message.

Rainmanne

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Got a similar problem after changing security settings on my router from WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK to just WPA2-PSK and TKIP+AES to just AES. I needed it for my laptop. I wonder if this is the reason. The phone not only does not connect automatically but also it does not connect if you try to force connection and asks for the password again. Even if it does connect there is no Internet connection. It is a bit bizarre as all other devices at home (Nexus phones and tablets, laptops etc.) connect and work without any issue.

rodaz

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I'm a new android user. The problem I'm having is that when my wifi drops out or if I come home the Internet on my phone does not switch back from mobile data to wifi. I'm with bigpond and I have put the password into my phone and I don't need to put the password in each time but when I go to wifi settings it says sign in required and I press connect and the wifi turns on. As soon as I come home or the Internet drops out it switched back to 3G and doesn't connect back to wifi unless I do what I mentioned above.

The advanced setting on the wifi are
Proxy-none
Ip settings DHCP
Signal strength- very strong
Security wpa2 psk

I also have the smart network switch toggled to off. I have reset my telstra router.

I would love some help with this, I will readily admit to knowing nothing about android but I'm willing to learn. I've wasted a lot of my mobile data this week before I realised that when I left the house or the net dropped out my phone was staying on 3G and not switching back to wifi the way my iPhone and every other phone I've owned did.

Thanks so much

rodaz

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Go to advanced settings then wps setting and connect by pushing the wps symbol on the rear of your router the same symbol should be showing on your phone...this worked for me,it has been doing my head in for ages!

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
This happened to me. All I did was forget network then reconnect and it's been fine since.

Posted via Android Central App

I haven't tried any solution before this one. Its seemed the most harmless in the event it didn't work, it wouldn't have created another issue...so Bam, I did exactly as you said, pulled up the list of all WiFi in my area, clicked on the one with most signal and hit forget...the 2nd one I did that to...my connection instantly went to my router.
Thanks man...this totally worked :-*

Jonathan Colvin

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
This is a Samsung problem that they have never gotten around to fixing. Had exact same issue on both my S3 and S5. Occurs with different routers. Apple iphone connects automatically all the time. Forgetting the network will fix it temporarily but then it will come back again. Who know, maybe they have fixed it on the S6 but I doubt it.

Kaloyan Karaivanov

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I'm a new android user. The problem I'm having is that when my wifi drops out or if I come home the Internet on my phone does not switch back from mobile data to wifi. I'm with bigpond and I have put the password into my phone and I don't need to put the password in each time but when I go to wifi settings it says sign in required and I press connect and the wifi turns on. As soon as I come home or the Internet drops out it switched back to 3G and doesn't connect back to wifi unless I do what I mentioned above.

Proxy-none
Ip settings DHCP
Security wpa2 psk

I also have the smart network switch toggled to off. I have reset my telstra router.

I would love some help with this, I will readily admit to knowing nothing about android but I'm willing to learn. I've wasted a lot of my mobile data this week before I realised that when I left the house or the net dropped out my phone was staying on 3G and not switching back to wifi the way my iPhone and every other phone I've owned did.

Thanks so much

Samsung WiFi connection tool have some bugs. You need remove any saved networks (with Forget WiFi operation) because in your database exist many errors with duplicated names and different password. Switch off and/on radio and delete any saved until the list is empty. Connection in your network will be automatically after first sign in.

214365cba

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi

Proxy-none
Ip settings DHCP
Security wpa2 psk

Thanks so much