Wifi is not connecting automatically on S5. I need to manually connect to wifi every time

accendo

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I'm a new android user. The problem I'm having is that when my wifi drops out or if I come home the Internet on my phone does not switch back from mobile data to wifi. I'm with bigpond and I have put the password into my phone and I don't need to put the password in each time but when I go to wifi settings it says sign in required and I press connect and the wifi turns on. As soon as I come home or the Internet drops out it switched back to 3G and doesn't connect back to wifi unless I do what I mentioned above.

The advanced setting on the wifi are
Proxy-none
Ip settings DHCP
Signal strength- very strong
Security wpa2 psk

I also have the smart network switch toggled to off. I have reset my telstra router.

I would love some help with this, I will readily admit to knowing nothing about android but I'm willing to learn. I've wasted a lot of my mobile data this week before I realised that when I left the house or the net dropped out my phone was staying on 3G and not switching back to wifi the way my iPhone and every other phone I've owned did.

Thanks so much

accendo

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I've also found that if I toggle off the wifi, wait until it switches to 3g and switch it back on then it reconnects automatically (it says saved, secured, checking ip, checking quality of internet connection) and then connects. If I turn off the router at the wall or if it drops out it will not connect automatically (it doesnt go through the routine with checking ip etc, it just says sign in required) and I need to go and manually connect it.

accendo

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi thanks for your reply
I do have that checked. I wonder if it is a router problem? It is really driving me crazy! I did a search and it seems it can be a common problem with galaxy phones but i found no clear solution,

evholmes

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my S5 on the work wifi and at home. Starting to wonder if I need to trade this in for another phone while I'm still in my 14 day window.

Last edited:

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Get WiFi Analyzer from the Google Play store. You have 14 WiFi channels and the Analyzer will determine the best one. Then go to the web page for your Browser and change to that channel.

Channels can be affected by usage by neighbors, other equipment in the house, etc.

Bad channels will always have disconnection problems.

accendo

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I've spoken to samsung and they have told me to get a new phone. I also have an iPhone 4 and that never has a problem connecting automatically but I guess It is possible that it is my router as my Internet frequently drops out. I've spoken to my telco and they are sending me a new one router. I'm going to wait until it arrives (hopefully in the next couple of days) and see if there is any change and I will post back here with my results and make and model of router. Thanks so much for the help.

accendo

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Just an update in case anyone else has this issue in the future. I went and swapped my phone over and brought it and connected it to my wifi, turned my modem/router on and off a few times and so far so good. It's connecting how it is supposed to!

brash10

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey Accendo are you with Telstra?, i am just wondering how you went with swapping the handset? do u have Stay connected?, Im experiencing the same things aswell

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
try "forgetting" the network and reconfigure it

it solved my issues with my home wifi where it wouldn't automatically connect upon turning on wifi

davew41

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Also a lot of times just changing the routers channel will do the trick. In populated areas this is a very common solution. We had to do this with the s3 and s4 we had. So far the 2 s5's are doing OK. I've noticed this only with Samsung devices the iPhones always connected okay so this is definitely something to do with Samsung's wireless technology.

Posted via Android Central App

Randy Myers

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. I did swap out phones and still have the same issues. The weird thing is that some networks are being saved. At least I found one place. However, at my office and home I am having to enter my password every time. Also, I called Sprint tech and Samsung and so far they haven' been able to help. Grrr. :)

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar problem but it seems to be limited to Comcast public wifi hotspots. It always wants to connect to a weak signal when driving but not always when I am at work.

Posted via Android Central App

colin95xp

May 9, 2014
Visit site
try "forgetting" the network and reconfigure it

it solved my issues with my home wifi where it wouldn't automatically connect upon turning on wifi

This worked for me thanks.

For the record my home wifi would connect automatically but my work one would need to manually connect simply by tapping 'connect' on the router name as per the original post.

R93LFC

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I'm a new android user. The problem I'm having is that when my wifi drops out or if I come home the Internet on my phone does not switch back from mobile data to wifi. I'm with bigpond and I have put the password into my phone and I don't need to put the password in each time but when I go to wifi settings it says sign in required and I press connect and the wifi turns on. As soon as I come home or the Internet drops out it switched back to 3G and doesn't connect back to wifi unless I do what I mentioned above.

The advanced setting on the wifi are
Proxy-none
Ip settings DHCP
Signal strength- very strong
Security wpa2 psk

I also have the smart network switch toggled to off. I have reset my telstra router.

I would love some help with this, I will readily admit to knowing nothing about android but I'm willing to learn. I've wasted a lot of my mobile data this week before I realised that when I left the house or the net dropped out my phone was staying on 3G and not switching back to wifi the way my iPhone and every other phone I've owned did.

Thanks so much

Ok, so I know this may be a bit late but for those of you having issues try going into wifi>settings>advanced>keep wifi on during sleep>always. Many people will be recieving this because it'll be set to only when plugged in/never

accendo

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm still having the same problems. When I forget the network it works again for a few days but then I get the dreaded 'sign in required'.

Im almost 100% sure its a modem problem. It connects to my mum's modem with no problems. I borrowed my mum's old modem and it was fine, it connected with no issues with the samsung although it kept kicking my idevices off and required them to sign in!

So I think a new modem is in order, hopefully it will help with dropouts to as we have way over 20 dropouts a day (telstra)

Oh and I have the keep wifi on during sleep activated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci