Samsung finally has done something that only apple has done...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Outside of the My Magazine transition, how is anything else you mentioned "slow"? It doesn't stutter. The home screens have a card stack animation so it's not going to be as fast as something that doesn't. You can turn it off or switch it to the old Touchwiz animation.

It doesn't feel faster than the S4 or Note 3? Seriously? Kind of hard to even dignify that with a response. You're reaching there. Unsurprisingly, you brought the M8 into this. Sense is slightly faster than this version of Touchwiz, but the gap from last year has closed significantly.

As far as the animations go, they obviously feel it adds to the experience. I disagree, which is why I cut them in half. Takes less than a minute. Although if I didn't turn them off, this device still wouldn't be slow.

Posted via Android Central App

Getting defensive much? I did say that on its own it doesn't seem that bad, but next to the M8 it's noticeably slower. So yeah, that's my experience with it. Same with my comparison to the Note 3 and S4. I'm not reaching, but I'm not sugar coating it either.

You may not have noticed, but you did admit that Sense is faster. I just think you're understating the difference.

I also brought another 2014 Samsung device into the discussion, which also feels faster, while having "slower" hardware and more pixels to push. I haven't adjusted animation speed or anything like that on any device. Care to explain that one?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Getting defensive much? I did say that on its own it doesn't seem that bad, but next to the M8 it's noticeably slower. So yeah, that's my experience with it. Same with my comparison to the Note 3 and S4. I'm not reaching, but I'm not sugar coating it either.

You may not have noticed, but you did admit that Sense is faster. I just think you're understating the difference.

I also brought another 2014 Samsung device into the discussion, which also feels faster, while having "slower" hardware and more pixels to push. I haven't adjusted animation speed or anything like that on any device. Care to explain that one?

How was that defensive? I'm just amused that you believe this phone is slow. You lost my interest in this argument when you said it wasn't any faster than the S4 or Note 3. So as much as I'd like to comment on the Tab, I haven't used it. Considering your most recent track record in assessing UI speeds, I'm going to bet you're way off on that comparison, too.

And yes, I realize I said Sense is quicker. It is. Just not by that much that I'd make a big deal about it. Hopefully that makes you feel better about your M8 purchase, which is still the inferior device between the two.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
How was that defensive? I'm just amused that you believe this phone is slow. You lost my interest in this argument when you said it wasn't any faster than the S4 or Note 3. So as much as I'd like to comment on the Tab, I haven't used it. Considering your most recent track record in assessing UI speeds, I'm going to bet you're way off on that comparison, too.

And yes, I realize I said Sense is quicker. It is. Just not by that much that I'd make a big deal about it. Hopefully that makes you feel better about your M8 purchase, which is still the inferior device between the two.

You can "bet" that all you want. I have all three devices in front of me right now (S5, M8, Tab Pro 8.4). The UI being slower than the M8 is a fact, as I can look and see it for myself, right now, at this very moment.

You should also realize that I have both devices, and I don't need anybody's approval to feel good about any purchases that I make. I'm not that insecure.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am at the point where I hate TW in general. My magazine or not, it is a memory hog that needs a strict diet. Extinction would be best but probably not going to happen. But yes, TW lags.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
You can "bet" that all you want. I have all three devices in front of me right now (S5, M8, Tab Pro 8.4). The UI being slower than the M8 is a fact, as I can look and see it for myself, right now, at this very moment.

You should also realize that I have both devices, and I don't need anybody's approval to feel good about any purchases that I make. I'm not that insecure.

I've said it twice already. One more time, Kevin, just for you; Sense is a little quicker than Touchwiz. Not sure why you needed to clarify that again as if I'm disagreeing with you. Although I find it amusing you can state things as fact without repercussions----maybe if I start saying positive things about the M8, I can, too.

Maybe if you ever redeem yourself after comparing the S5 UI with the S4 in terms of speed, we can debate the rest of the M8 vs the S5.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's a marketing gimmick. ......other places in the world have connections faster than the United States.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

LTE as a technology absolutely exists. That can't be denied.

Just because you have LTE doesn't guarantee the fastest speeds on the planet.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
LTE as a technology absolutely exists. That can't be denied.

Just because you have LTE doesn't guarantee the fastest speeds on the planet.

I think they might mean "4G" and not LTE. 4G, by certain definitions does not exist in the US yet and was adopted as a marketing term rather than a definition of data speeds.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Make a phone so good to the point everything works, no need for 3rd party apps...touch wiz is lag free I really feel know need for nova launcher, samsung keyboard emojis, swipe and predictable text is great know need for swiftkey, the camera has every feature no need for 3rd party...battery life is good know need for juice defender, browser is fast know need for dolphin, message app has it all know need for go smh or textra etc...my point is besides the music player to me nothing needs to be replaced same how apple has iPhone to the point everything just works...

Actually LG has done it, HTC has done it, nothing new.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've said it twice already. One more time, Kevin, just for you; Sense is a little quicker than Touchwiz. Not sure why you needed to clarify that again as if I'm disagreeing with you. Although I find it amusing you can state things as fact without repercussions----maybe if I start saying positive things about the M8, I can, too.

Maybe if you ever redeem yourself after comparing the S5 UI with the S4 in terms of speed, we can debate the rest of the M8 vs the S5.

I don't need to redeem myself to you. Not in the least.

Me stating that the M8 is faster than the S5 is a fact is because it is. You even admitted it yourself.

I didn't say "the M8 is better because it's metal" <--- that would be stating an opinion as a fact.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't need to redeem myself to you. Not in the least.

Me stating that the M8 is faster than the S5 is a fact is because it is. You even admitted it yourself.

I didn't say "the M8 is better because it's metal" <--- that would be stating an opinion as a fact.

Any particular reason you keep repeating that it's faster? Seems like you've got something personal going on. No one has disagreed with your assessment, only punctuated it. Yet you keep on keeping on.

For comedy's sake, do it one more time. I never get tired of someone desperately trying to validate their device.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There's no such thing as LTE, it's a marketing gimmick.

I don't consider lte to be a gimmick.

qasa5u3e.jpg

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Make a phone so good to the point everything works, no need for 3rd party apps...touch wiz is lag free I really feel know need for nova launcher, samsung keyboard emojis, swipe and predictable text is great know need for swiftkey, the camera has every feature no need for 3rd party...battery life is good know need for juice defender, browser is fast know need for dolphin, message app has it all know need for go smh or textra etc...my point is besides the music player to me nothing needs to be replaced same how apple has iPhone to the point everything just works...

So you think the iPhone keyboard and battery are so good you don't need anything different? Just because you can't use another app (because Apple won't let you) doesn't mean it's good enough.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Awful, awful speeds! Seriously though, where the heck are you located? That's insane!

Los Angeles. I have seen higher speeds in non peak. Also keep in mind Verizon doesn't have 20x20mhz aws lte here which should be capable of theoretical 147mbps

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think they might mean "4G" and not LTE. 4G, by certain definitions does not exist in the US yet and was adopted as a marketing term rather than a definition of data speeds.

" The ITU defines 4G or IMT-Advanced as technology that offers download speeds of 100Mbps on mobile devices or 1Gbps on fixed wireless connections."

http://www.cnet.com/news/has-4g-lost-its-meaning/

Based on that, Verizon and tmobile have 4g since they are capable of 100Mbps.

At&t defines 4g as 14.4 mbps.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown