Able to preview text messages on lock/home screen?

Tedology

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

Fairly new to Android and coming from iPhone.

Just wondering if there's any way to have my incoming text messages preview on the lock and/or home screen (as done with the iPhone)?

Thanks!

jaxsta

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
You sure can.
Go into your messaging app, then select the 3 vertical dots at the top right hand corner of your screen.
Select setting, then notifications.
You should then see an option under "preview message" to tick a box to view on lock screen and/or status bar.

blackmagicwoman

Trusted Member
Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the information you provided. I was wondering too. That's the beauty of Android Central.

Sent from my sweet, sassy, southern and soulful White Galaxy Note 3.

Chris Coates

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
You could always switch your messaging app to google hangouts? The hangouts widgets is one which can be displayed on the lock screen (swipe right on the clock widget on the lock screen to add a widget).

catco73

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
I updated my software this morning. I am having a problem with the preview messages. When I try to change the settings for the preview messages nothing changes. I tried rebooting my phone and it doesn't work. Also, when I did the update it asked me for settings for this function and I chose to hide the contents but now I would like to change that. Any idea how to do that?

Danielle Downs

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
You sure can.
Go into your messaging app, then select the 3 vertical dots at the top right hand corner of your screen.
You should then see an option under "preview message" to tick a box to view on lock screen and/or status bar.

I am using the Moto G and I don't have the option to preview text. Please help. Thanks.

clintcollins920

Apr 20, 2018
Visit site
I'm using an LG Stylo 3 Plus. I don't have the option to "preview messages" in my message app settings. I've also tried several different messaging apps. Any other ideas?

ThinkJohn

Jun 8, 2018
Visit site
I'm using an LG Stylo 3 Plus. I don't have the option to "preview messages" in my message app settings. I've also tried several different messaging apps. Any other ideas?

I found the solution! This bug is affecting all smartphones with face detection. By default, android disabled the preview of messages on lock screen while the face detection is turned on. It's understandable since when you lift your phone and it detects your face, it automatically directs you to the source of the notification.

What I did to my Huawei P20 Pro:

1. I set my lock screen notifications to "Display"
2. I deleted my face data.
3. Tried sending myself a message and right away pressing the standby button to check if there's a preview and voila! The preview is enabled.
4. I enabled my face detection again to see if it will remove the preview but i didn't.
5. Try switching the face detection option to "slide to unlock" if you just want to check the preview and don't want to unlock your phone totally.

I hope this helps!

christina garcia3

Jan 13, 2019
Visit site
You sure can.
I have it set to preview on my status bar but it's still not showing. Any help?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish