Galaxy S4 vs S5

dminches

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a newbie Android question. My wife has an S4 and I just got an S5. Our OSes are different. My bottom left button is a task button and hers is a settings button. However, when I go to update her software it says it is the most up to date version. What am I missing here?

My S5 is running 4.4.2.

Last edited:

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I think there's a typo there -- your wife has an S4 and you just got an S5. The S4 has been updated to 4.4, but your carrier may not have pushed it out. It also may be a 4.4.1 instead of 4.4.2 (I don't know, I didn't install KitKat on my S4).

Samsung swapped out the menu button for a task button on all models released in 2014. So the Note 10.1 has a menu button while the Note Pro has a task button. Same goes for the S4 and S5. If you long press the task button, it will act like the menu button. On the S4, the task button was a long press on the home button while a long press on the menu button toggled multi window mode.

dminches

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I think there's a typo there -- your wife has an S4 and you just got an S5. The S4 has been updated to 4.4, but your carrier may not have pushed it out. It also may be a 4.4.1 instead of 4.4.2 (I don't know, I didn't install KitKat on my S4).

Samsung swapped out the menu button for a task button on all models released in 2014. So the Note 10.1 has a menu button while the Note Pro has a task button. Same goes for the S4 and S5. If you long press the task button, it will act like the menu button. On the S4, the task button was a long press on the home button while a long press on the menu button toggled multi window mode.

Ugh. Right, I have an S5. Sorry.

So Verizon may not have pushed out the newest OS for the S4. At least there is a reason.