thermometer on S5 like the S4? I can't seem to find it....

SummitRn

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
It has to have one. All phones do for self-protection monitoring. S5 might have two of them depending on the location of the barometer sensor (barometers must be temperature corrected for any meaningful altitude numbers). That said, you have no use for the numbers unless you want to know what is the temperature of a heat generating phone in your pocket.

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
The CPU has a thermal sensor in it, which reads the CPU temperature. But it only measures the phone's internal heat. If the phone overheats, it'll automatically shut off until it's cooled off again, as a fail-safe mechanism.

99% of all CPUs today have a thermal sensor.

But it only reads the device's internal readings - it doesn't give you your environmental temp. Same deal with the barometer and the humidity sensor. They are used to protect the device from high temps, high pressure and and high moisture.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I see in the at&t manual downloaded from the Samsung support site, it shows a temperature and humidity port on the top.

AT&T is wrong. They didn't make different variations of the phone with and without the temperature/humidity sensor

Download sensor box and confirm for yourself

-Sent from Tapatalk

redhat1001

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
AT&T is wrong. They didn't make different variations of the phone with and without the temperature/humidity sensor

Download sensor box and confirm for yourself

-Sent from Tapatalk

Is it at&t wrong or Samsung wrong, since it is downloadable from the official Samsung support site? Just wandering.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Imo, this is a good thing. They never were accurate on my note 3

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Imo, this is a good thing. They never were accurate on my note 3

It is accurate if you leave the phone out of pocket for a while and not charging, so your body and battery temperature doesn't affect it

-Sent from Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It is accurate if you leave the phone out of pocket for a while and not charging, so your body and battery temperature doesn't affect it

-Sent from Tapatalk

And not in heavy use either. Too many variables

Damien Lobb

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I can't imagine how the S5 would be able to measure the outside temp with the internals being sealed from the outside elements I.E waterproof.

My Sony Xperia Z3 tablet has a barometer but I only use it to make sure it's air/water tight by pressing on the display when the ports are closed to see if the pressure rises within the device. And certainly it does :) Clever trick to see if it is water tight ;-)