Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Standby Mode Notifications?

Hi,

I'm a Android newbie, coming over from an iPhone 4S.

On the iPhone 4S, you could get brief Notification alerts right on your phone while it's in standby mode. Example, if I get a news alert, my phone's screen will automatically go to the lockscreen and show me a 5 second message with the alert in it. If I do nothing, it'll turn back off again into standby mode.

I noticed on the S5, all I get is the beep sound and a blinking blue or red light. Is there a way to add an actual 5 second alert window or panel on the lockscreen whenever I get an alert?

Just curious. I'm still learning how this phone works.

Default Re: Standby Mode Notifications?

Hi and welcome! What kind of notifications? I know you said something like news but what app are you trying to get notifications from? .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

There are many threads about this, hope they help you.

Able to preview text messages on lock/home screen?

switched from Iphone to Galaxy S5, need some help please

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Hi and welcome! What kind of notifications? I know you said something like news but what app are you trying to get notifications from? .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Well, for one, the CNN app. On my iPhone 4s, whenever "Breaking News" came across, it would automatically flash on my phone in Standby mode. It would automatically go to the Lockscreen and show the alert message for 5 seconds before fading off again.

On the S5, all I get is a beep and a flashing blue light. it does show up on the Notification Panel and there' a little CNN icon on the status bar, but I'm talking an alert banner/window that pops up on your phone's screen while it's in standby mode for like 5 seconds.

Just wondering if that's possible or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherscourge View Post
    Well, for one, the CNN app. On my iPhone 4s, whenever "Breaking News" came across, it would automatically flash on my phone in Standby mode. It would automatically go to the Lockscreen and show the alert message for 5 seconds before fading off again.

On the S5, all I get is a beep and a flashing blue light. it does show up on the Notification Panel and there' a little CNN icon on the status bar, but I'm talking an alert banner/window that pops up on your phone's screen while it's in standby mode for like 5 seconds.

Just wondering if that's possible or not.
    I think the app itself would be the only place to change the setting, but let's hope someone else can help you

Posted via GT-N7100 Note II

Its much different from iPhone to Android. IPhone is the best when it comes to that in my opinion because it will show all your alerts and messages organized on the home screen but on android it will just show them in the notification bar and an app like CNN won't wake the screen for any duration. Best you can do is download light flow and you can change the led light to turn red and stay red.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

I use the NiLS and NiLS Floating Panel apps to show notifications on the lock screen, like in ios. It works great and you can set up notifications for any app as long as that app will provide notifications.