Samsung GS2 the last great Samsung phone ?

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I feel like Samsung's last great phone was the GS2.Starting with GS3,Samsung looked like it no longer trying to make good phones but rather just milking the Galaxy line for all its worth introducing gimmicky features and bloating the already heavy OS by adding software features that only drain battery and make phone restart,lag etc and poor battery life.Also if you look at phones like Moto G/X and Nexus 4/5 its easy to easy how Samsung is offering much less value for the money.Yet Samsung commands a loyalty like Apple does.Now am not saying those who buy the latest Galaxy phones are fools but it just feels like Samsung is no longer innovating and making amazing phones like GS2 anymore.
What do you think ?

mnuttall87

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. I had the GS3 and just upgraded to the GS5 and haven't had any complaints about either. I don't feel like I am missing any features that anyone else has. The device and experience are consistent which is what keeps me coming back to the brand. Main selling point for me was the great camera.

Sliver22

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I went from a S2 to a S3 and loved the transition. It improved on the flimsy S2 in many ways. Now up to the S5 from the S3 and love this upgrade as well. Way more powerful, and the battery is incredible. Not to mention the beautiful screen.

Posted via Android Central App

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I also disagree. I think the Galaxy line as a whole keeps improving with each new device. My Note3 is a big upgrade compared to my S3. I've looked at other Android devices and the Samsung Galaxy lineup is what I want in my device of choice. What my be a "gimmick" for some, might be what others like their smartphone to do.

mjcecil

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
It seems like the OP is in with that crowd of people who just can't be happy with normal tech progress rates.

It's these folks who won't be happy unless the ads read "Samsung Galaxy S5... Now Cures Cancer!"

;-)

Mark

Posted via Android Central App

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
No I think Samsung's devices have gotten better over time. The S4 was a big improvement over my original galaxy note and now my note 3 is an improvement over the S4. I've looked at other Android devices but they don't offer me what I need like Samsung phones do.

In 2012 my iPhone 4 was stolen and I had 2 months to go to my upgrade so got a cheap Samsung galaxy Y to tide me over. It was my first android device and I thought that I would just get the iPhone 4S when it was time to upgrade. Never happened, I was so impressed by the budget Android phone that after doing research I decided to upgrade to the the original galaxy note and I've stayed with Samsung ever since.

Posted from my galaxy note 3

valerielyn197

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I had the S2 for two years and it was a great phone while I had it. I was ready for an upgrade by the time the S5 came out. I got mine on April 11th. The S5 blows the S2 out of the water. I'm loving the S5, it's super fast.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I had the S2 for two years and it was a great phone while I had it. I was ready for an upgrade by the time the S5 came out. I got mine on April 11th. The S5 blows the S2 out of the water. I'm loving the S5, it's super fast.

But the designs have stayed the same.It may have the features but it looks boring compared to Htc and Sony.Why does Samsung not use metal instead of plastic.S3,S4,S5 all look the same.

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
They have been gimmiky in a way that when the introduce 10 new features 2 are great additions I would use often 2 are nice and I will use and 2 are fun the other 4 don't mean much to me but they stay out of the way. They just haven't changed the design much which makes you think poorly on seeing pics

Xzibit3

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Imo, the design is what makes it a Galaxy, change the design would be weird. From what I've seen from Sony their Xperia line phones look the same, as well as the One lines; the only difference I see in the M7 and M8 design is that the M8 is longer and more round. Plastic has better advantages like wireless charger, less likely to get scratches, lighter, being able the swap batteries, and swapping out the back covers to your liking. The people at Samsung have their reasons for keeping the design the same.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
But the designs have stayed the same.It may have the features but it looks boring compared to Htc and Sony.Why does Samsung not use metal instead of plastic.S3,S4,S5 all look the same.

I'm sick tired of people complaining about non metal and just plastic on Samsung smartphones, really? Enough, if you don't like the design, just don't buy it and come here complaining about it, why is so important for people to impose their preferences on other. .. God it's simply pathetic, that's so great about Android, people have options, so stop already...

Boring? You know what's boring, just use your M8 for 5 minutes and tell me what's boring, I just sold mine, losing $100 in a week, just tried it but once you put a cover to avoid damages and scratches there it goes the looks, and what's left the same plain and boring Sense, same boring experience than using plain Vanilla Android.

To each it's own, so, this is what I think, so who is right?

Last edited:

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I strongly disagree with you. To your original post, I was least impressed with the Galaxy SII, and didn't buy one until last year (just to add to my collection). I never used it as my main phone, so I can't comment on how good or bad it is in that respect, but I like the Captivate Glide more than I thought that I would. I don't think that I ever would have liked the full touchscreen versions of the SII because the aspect ratio was not to my liking. I've owned all of the Galaxy S series and think that they have all been good phones. My mother still uses my Vibrant/original Galaxy S; it is 3.5 years old and still good for her purposes.

I love the Smart Stay feature and place some value on that. Smart Rotation was OK. I can only get the benefit of Smart Scroll if I consistently use the S4, which I don't, but I thought that it was a good idea. Other features such as the pedometer and ability to use the Gear as a Bluetooth accessory add to the experience for me. The call blocking feature in Touchwiz is my most valuable feature yet. Third party call blocking apps haven't been as seamless as the Touchwiz feature for me.

While the Moto X is a great value, I also think that the Galaxy S5 is a good phone that I don't mind paying for. The Nexus 5 is one of my favorite phones, but I won't go as far as to call it a great value.

I agree with the other poster in that it is not a big deal that Samsung does not use metal for their phones. I personally like the builds of Samsung phones and have no problem with plastic. Seriously, I think that some of you must have had some serious nightmares about plastic phones at some point to have all of this animosity toward them. As far as looks, I have no problem with the way that Samsung phones look and wouldn't care if the Galaxy S20 looked exactly like the Galaxy S5.

I'm a function over form person anyway. Given the good functionality that I have had from Samsung phones, the OK functionality I have had from LG Nexus devices and the poor functionality that I have had from HTC devices, I will take a Samsung phone any day.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The S2 was a cell phone game changer for Samsung in my opinion. My daughter had the S3 and it was one of the most buggy phones I've ever bought (Htc Diamond holds that title).

The thing is is that the S2 is now just so out dated. If you were to switch the S5 I'm sure you'd be impressed. Note, M8, G2... all very much of an improvement from the S2 days

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I would argue every Galaxy has improved. The nice thing about the gimmicks is you don't have to use them and most if not all can be disabled.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Id probably disagree with this point. I think the S3 was a big phone, and the Note series have been top of the line year over year. I'd argue the S4 and S5 aren't huge as other devices. But Samsung as a whole has and still is making great strives past the GS2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have NOT experienced absolutely any lag from my S5. I'm using Apex Launcher and not TouchWiz...not sure if that matters. I also have a bunch of bloatware disabled. I'm coming from the Nexus 4 and my S5 blows it away. All my programs open up snappy, the phone boots up snappy and the camera is extremely quick. I have no complaints at all.

Last edited: