Galaxy S5 - unread email issue

digitalfreaknyc

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone found a solution for the OPs post? I'm working with someone right now that is experiencing a similar issue. IMAP emails are not deleting or showing read from their GS5 after being read on their PC or somewhere else. Seems like it may be a limitation of the stock email app as I've seen a few suggestions mentioning using another email client.

Did you try my solution right above yours?

digitalfreaknyc

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I will say this: my fix is not a perfect fix. Does it sync? Yes. However, I've noticed that it takes about 10-20 minutes on average for it to sync properly. It's still frustrating but it works.

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem. I have changed sync setting-> period to sync email to 3 days. Now it is working perfect.

Good call! That worked for me also. Now at least we know the problem area and so hopefully they fix it for longer sync timeframe settings. Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Gw D

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I was having the same problem. I like being well organized and all those so called unread messages were a bother. I clicked on the link you posted, read through the material, changed the settings in my gmail and it worked! Thanks a bunch!

xgourmet

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem and tried several solutions, and changing the sync period worked for me as well. I set the sync period to one week and it still works.

Wayne Weibel

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I began having this same issue recently. What worked for me was to set the 'Limit Retrieval Size' to "No Limit (including attachments)".

Setting the "Period to Sync" to fewer days was essentially accomplishing the same for most people since the size and number of messages would typically not be greater than the 50k default. So ...

Email > Settings > [Each Account] > Sync Settings > Limit retrieval size > select "No Limit"

jenpossy

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
well i have problem simaler but my galaxy s5 will no delete email. they just all keep popping up and i dont know what to do...and i have been having other problems with my galaxy s5 as well. and dont know what to do. it gets restarted at least once a day. any help with this please

Alexandre Paquette

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Same here, up to 1 week of emails works, 2 weeks is a no go. I don't know why such limitation is imposed, but they should at least display this information in the UI if it's intentional.

Carcaridon

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm a new convert from the iPhone 5. So far love the interface with the S5 and the features. But this issue has been causing a little concern. I've tried all the methods listed and still seem to have the issue. Tired the no limit, 3 days, 1 week. This is with a gmail account, imap, and an exchange. I would switch to blue mail app, which looked pretty cool, but it doesn't support exchange unless used with the imap protocol.

Carcaridon

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I was going to try K9 Mail but the reviews state that it's having the same issue with the new release. Plus, it only supports Exchange 203/2007 through webdav.

Kellie Norcott

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I've resolved the issue permanently without a work-around, but I don't know that it will work for everyone. Here it is:

I have a new GS5
3 e-mail accounts
MacBook Pro
Mac Mail

I was having emails not flag as having been read in one of my three e-mail accounts on the native Samsung e-mail app (not g-mail). When I figured out which account it was, I went to my mac and edited the settings so when I download to my Mac, the e-mails are immediately deleted from the server. Before I set this, though, I clicked the "Remove Now" option to empty the server mail, and checked the GS5 - no unread e-mails.

This solution works for me, because I only need e-mail to come to my phone or other devices when I'm not at my computer - they are all set to leave messages on the server, but once the MacBook has the e-mail, I don't mind if they get deleted from the server. This keeps the server from getting hopelessly cluttered.

This worked for me - but if you're someone who likes to keep e-mails on the server, then I'm not sure what to tell ya. :)

Reuben in LA

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Wow! What an amazingly simple fix for a problem that I've been trying to resolve for a WHOLE WEEK! I called the morons at Samsung who are all in a foreign country and operate as a voice recorder repeating everything you say 3 times, but never understand what you're saying. Then I went to Best Buy and talked to the resident Samsung rep who really tried to help me and his final suggestion was, well, use the Gmail app! Well, I don't want to! I hate the Gmail app especially because it forces the stupid conversation view on you (where all your emails about the same subject get lumped into one). I've been on this site every day since last week and never bothered to go all the way down to this fix. I tried SKrantzman's fix which didn't work for me and forced me to have all of my gmail contacts on my phone (which I don't want), but this worked perfectly and I've tested it a few times! I guess I'll have to settle for only having 3 days' worth of emails instead of a month. Not a big deal considering the K-9 app was a pain and Gmail app was really stupid.

im_dneece6

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 - unread email issue - SYNC FIXED!

Enable Google+ on GalaxyS5 to get email syncing again?!! Thanks to the SKrantzman post in this thread!!

OMG, I can't believe it but your suggestion fixed my issue. I noticed a few weeks ago that the email app on my GalaxyS5 was never getting email from my google account anymore (everything else was still syncing with my account no problem). When I went into settings, it wouldn't connect to the server either. I disabled the Google+ app and that caused Gmail to stop syncing. After reading this article, I re-enabled the app, and everything's working like magic again. I cannot stand Google+ and how intrusive it is (and forget lack of privacy), but I guess if I want to check Gmail without going to the web, I need to have it running on my phone. Very weird - I never would've guessed it. Thanks for the link to that article! OMG, I can't believe it but your suggestion fixed my issue. I noticed a few weeks ago that the email app on my GalaxyS5 was never getting email from my google account anymore (everything else was still syncing with my account no problem). When I went into settings, it wouldn't connect to the server either. I disabled the Google+ app and that caused Gmail to stop syncing. After reading this article, I re-enabled the app, and everything's working like magic again. I cannot stand Google+ and how intrusive it is (and forget lack of privacy), but I guess if I want to check Gmail without going to the web, I need to have it running on my phone. Very weird - I never would've guessed it. Thanks for the link to that article!

article - androidpit.com/how-to-fix-android-4-4-2-kitkat-problems-galaxy-note-3 (link from SKrantzman)

Last edited:

jonalisa

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I am still having this problem. I use the stock app. I don't see sync times of x days. My "set sync schedule" options are:
Manual
Every 15 minutes
Every 30 minutes
Every hour
Every 2 hours

Also I have an simultaneous issue where I set the "Number of emails to load" to 25. So if I read and delete all the emails in my inbox, it will grab the next 25. I delete those (they are old and already read/deleted) and it continues to load older and older emails - from months ago! I just emptied my inbox and it fills up my inbox with emails from July! I have tried setting the number of emails to "Total" and now I have 300+ emails. SIGH.
Anyone else???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar