Haven't switched to Android yet ... questions.

alil25

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I apologize ahead of time if these are stupid questions but I haven't used Android before. I'm seriously considering making the switch from my iPhone 5s to the S5.

-- Music that I've purchased from iTunes ... would it be easiest to burn those to CD (if I can?) then load them onto Windows Media Player? I assume I can then get them onto an S5 if I get one? My iTunes music is on an old laptop that we hardly use anymore so I'll have to put it on our good desktop.

-- Is there a "do not disturb" mode like on iPhone, where you can put it on while sleeping so that you can see if someone called, emailed or sent a text w/o waking you? I know I have more questions but I can't think of them right now.

-- This one is probably *really* stupid but I need to ask. Is there an issue with someone on Android texting or emailing a video to someone on an iPhone?

I really, really want one but I'm nervous to make the jump. What keeps me on Apple is mainly just because my whole family has iPhones so it's the "easy" thing to keep one, I'm also not excited about losing the money I've put towards some apps and music. I'll have to pay retail since I'm not eligible for an upgrade (minus the trade-in for my 5s) so I'll feel compelled to keep the S5 for the two years until I'm upgrade-eligible again.

Thanks!!

Edit: The tablet we have is the Galaxy Note 10.1 so that's another plus for switching to an Android phone.

Last edited:

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
You can you a tool like Samsung Switch to transfer all you music, photos, texts, etc. from your iPhone to your new phone. It works pretty well.

There is something called Blocking mode on Samsung phones that is basically the same as Do Not Disturb.

If you do get an Android phone, make sure you turn off iMessage before switching. Other than that, you'll have no issues texting with iPhone users.

Don't keep your phone just because everyone else in your family has one, get what works for YOU. You many find out that the iPhone is the best for you, but you never know unless you give ti a try. And don't forget, you can always return the phone if you don't like it.

I don't think you'll regret switching to the S5. I think your biggest hurtle will be the difference in size. After that you'll love all the features Android has to offer.

Masum56k

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
For music transfer from iPhone, you've to jailbreak your device.. There is a tweak available, to send files via blue tooth from iPhone to other phones..

Sent from my SM-G900H using AC Forums mobile app

Caledonia91

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I've just made the same move and I don't regret it at all. Android is a lot less 'locked down' than iOS so you can customise the experience more.

You'll be able to text any iPhone users no problem! The only thing you wont get is iMessage, but that really doesn't matter unless you desperately need to see when someone is typing back to you OR you have a very low text message allowance (in 2014? I doubt it).

As for moving your music, ignore the poster who said you need to Jailbreak your device, that is incorrect. Just upload all your music to Google Play, then when you get the device it's all there in the cloud waiting for you. If you use iCloud for photos, Google Photos is a good equivalent.

ALSO before you get your S5 (if your porting your number from another carrier), please turn off iMessage in your iPhone settings, it causes some weird network problems.

If your bored of Apple like I was, and you enjoy endless customisation options, then Android is for you.

janw75

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded mx player and it plays all of my old iPhone videos perfectly. And all the new videos that I have taken on my Galaxy S5 have been perfect to eat j on iPhone.
I uploaded all my music to Google and that had been great.
Enjoy!

I DO NOT regret the switch at all.

Posted via Android Central App

Mushkie11

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
You also HAVE to tell your friends to go to their settings and make sure send as sms checked on or the texts wont go thru. This is SUPER annoying and makes me very angry. Nothing you can do though.

You can you a tool like Samsung Switch to transfer all you music, photos, texts, etc. from your iPhone to your new phone. It works pretty well.

There is something called Blocking mode on Samsung phones that is basically the same as Do Not Disturb.

If you do get an Android phone, make sure you turn off iMessage before switching. Other than that, you'll have no issues texting with iPhone users.

Don't keep your phone just because everyone else in your family has one, get what works for YOU. You many find out that the iPhone is the best for you, but you never know unless you give ti a try. And don't forget, you can always return the phone if you don't like it.

I don't think you'll regret switching to the S5. I think your biggest hurtle will be the difference in size. After that you'll love all the features Android has to offer.

gjlamb#CB

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
also came from a 5S to the S5. I try Android phones at least once a year to see if I want to change but never have full time. Been through the S2, S3, HTC One and several others over the years. I'm getting the feeling the S5 will be the one that keeps me on Android even though there are a couple of issues that have annoyed the crap out of me but there are simple workarounds.

As far as iTunes go, I keep my iTunes library, I keep buying iTunes music and add songs to iTunes. I have iTunes Match also to keep iPad and Macs in sync. I've installed Google Play Music app on my Mac and have it set to automatically sync music (including iTunes Library). As soon as something is added to iTunes, it syncs to Play Music and appears on my S5 to stream or download to my phone.

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Also for music library you can try Double Twist on the phone and desktop. I use Google play music and save to the SD catd. Enjoy

Posted via Android Central App

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I have found that the best way to get music onto my Androids is by using Isyncr. It's Wi-Fi capable and easy to use once it's setup, which isn't difficult. After that you can pick and choose which playlists from iTunes you want to add. And if you make a change to a playlist then you just re-sync it. Very easy.

Sent from my Note 3 Using Tapatalk

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I apologize ahead of time if these are stupid questions but I haven't used Android before. I'm seriously considering making the switch from my iPhone 5s to the S5.

-- Music that I've purchased from iTunes ... would it be easiest to burn those to CD (if I can?) then load them onto Windows Media Player? I assume I can then get them onto an S5 if I get one? My iTunes music is on an old laptop that we hardly use anymore so I'll have to put it on our good desktop.

-- Is there a "do not disturb" mode like on iPhone, where you can put it on while sleeping so that you can see if someone called, emailed or sent a text w/o waking you? I know I have more questions but I can't think of them right now.

-- This one is probably *really* stupid but I need to ask. Is there an issue with someone on Android texting or emailing a video to someone on an iPhone?

I really, really want one but I'm nervous to make the jump. What keeps me on Apple is mainly just because my whole family has iPhones so it's the "easy" thing to keep one, I'm also not excited about losing the money I've put towards some apps and music. I'll have to pay retail since I'm not eligible for an upgrade (minus the trade-in for my 5s) so I'll feel compelled to keep the S5 for the two years until I'm upgrade-eligible again.

Thanks!!

Edit: The tablet we have is the Galaxy Note 10.1 so that's another plus for switching to an Android phone.

For your first question, I was in the same boat. Had a lot of music purchased from iTunes and I still do buy iTunes. I bought "iSyncr" from the Android market and it works great. Syncs up my music, converts it and brings over the album artwork. It's paid but it's worth it.

Blocking mode is Samsung's version of "Do Not Disturb" Although the name is stupid, it works just the same.

The few people that video call me, I asked them to download Skype. As for texting you might run into an issue with other iPhone (iMessage) users if you don't take the necessary steps before moving over, and even then you will probably run into it. Check out "iPhone to Android text problems" for more info.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang