Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

So I dropped my 5 day old S5 and camera lens cracked anyone else have the same problem ?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: galaxy s5 camera lens cracked

I had mine for about 27 hours when I realized my camera lens glass was broken. I got it Friday morning and it was broken by noon on Saturday. I went into my T-Mobile store so my brother could get a new phone and when I was going to show him my phone I realized the lens cover was shattered. It wasn't that way when I entered the store.
    Micle Arons likes this.

And no one has the parts to fix it for about another month. I am not about to pay the insurance cost to get it fixed either.

U guys not using a case

I have mine in an Otterbox Defender. I think the opening on the case for the camera is angled to steeply and directs sharp objects right at the lens cover. I put mine in the case within an hour of getting the phone.

Greg C, troshs and skymech like this.

A case...even a tpu style case would be really helpful. I got one off Amazon that is blue and makes it look exactly like the blue version of the S5...just a little thicker, but it has the same design patterns. You can get a tpu style case for as little as around $5.00. Amazon has a boatload of cases for the S5.

Wow...did you have it in your pocket or drop it? Hopefully this isn't a design flaw. The lens is pretty level with the phone. Perhaps it should have been in a little deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboToyota1987 View Post
    I had mine for about 27 hours when I realized my camera lens glass was broken. I got it Friday morning and it was broken by noon on Saturday. I went into my T-Mobile store so my brother could get a new phone and when I was going to show him my phone I realized the lens cover was shattered. It wasn't that way when I entered the store.

Weird you dropped your phone and some glass broke that's unheard of.

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

I also got S5 on Friday about 5:30 and my lens was broke by saturday at 11 am. I did not drop it and it never left my otter box. Went to verizon and they told me my only option was to claim it on the insurance, I don't think so...too expensive to have this happen without any explanation. I am calling samsung to see what they can do for me. The only thing I can think of is that when the phone was in my purse and I put my keys in it, maybe my keys hit the camera lens. Still this shouldn't happen so easily. I had my HTC thunderbolt for 2 1/2 years and kept it in my purse without incident. Has anyone tried calling samsung to report their issues?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    Weird you dropped your phone and some glass broke that's unheard of.

Wow, sarcasm!!! BTW, I didn't drop it. It was on my hip in the case and holster. This is apparently a poor design on Samsung's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Wow...did you have it in your pocket or drop it? Hopefully this isn't a design flaw. The lens is pretty level with the phone. Perhaps it should have been in a little deeper.
    I did not drop it. It was in the Otterbox Defender case and in the holster for the case. The angle of the opening on the Defender case is very steep on the sides and looks like is directing objects right towards the edge of the lens glass.

just got off the phone with Samsung. They are of no help either. You can send your phone in and have it fixed for about $75.00 but you would be out of a phone unless you went to Verizon or wherever you purchased your product for a loaner phone. The lady that I spoke with said it's now a product flaw however I have seen too much on this topic to not agree. Out of options for now....
    Ramona P likes this.

I did not drop it. It was in the Otterbox Defender case and in the holster for the case. The angle of the opening on the Defender case is very steep on the sides and looks like is directing objects right towards the edge of the lens glass.

Maybe some pressure from the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Zabigayle View Post
    Maybe some pressure from the case?
    I thought so too but the break is not near the edge of the case opening.

galaxy s5 camera lens cracked-10167970_10203301006506751_8114860022633501603_n.jpg

I thought so too but the break is not near the edge of the case opening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10167970_10203301006506751_8114860022633501603_n.jpg 
Views:	1109 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	113270

Oh dang

Same thing happened to me. Camera lens broke yesterday and dont know why. I guess samsung made these phones with some cheap lens. Sucks...
    Banned

Global Posts
    963 Global Posts

Yeah right…

Moderator note: I cleaned up the thread a bit. Play nice.
    What other devices have I had? Here's my [URL="http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-central-lounge/181203-post-your-phone-timeline.html#post1861526"]phone timeline[/URL].
    [B]Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads![/B]

[url=http://forums.mobilenations.com/rules-policies/500-community-rules-guidelines.html][B]Community Rules & Guidelines[/B] - Mobile Nations Forums[/url]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That's terrible
    Banned

Omg this isn't good! Hope y'all can get them fixed!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Someone said they called Samsung and they said it's a design flaw? I figured glass is glass. Looks no different than lens on my tab 3

Glass is glass it breaks. These are no different then the other 50 android handsets that have glass covering the camera. Apple is smart and uses sapphire crystal which is much harder than gorilla glass or regular glass. Have people not realized glass breaks and is fragile?

Also heard that for water resistant, the camera lens are installed with waterproof adhesive. And nobody has idea how to repair it at present except Samsung. If someone had done the repair, i really wonder to know how, replace camera lens only or the whole frame. And does Samsung do best on after-sale service.
    Ramona P likes this.

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

For solutions to the delicate lens problem see my post under thread, "Camera Lens Cover." They work for me.

Iv droped my phone over the years at lease 20 times and have never lost a lens-

good luck everyone.
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast