Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Arcadias1795
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default not getting gmail notifications on my s5

So i just got the s5 yestrday and i cant get my gmail notifications to pop up. auto sync is turned on, notifications are turned on can anyone help me with this.

Default Re: not getting gmail notifications on my s5

Had a thread about this early. Sometimes they would work, sometimes not. I tried EVERYTHING. I uninstalled the updates for the app and it seems to work OK at the moment. Ok, as in I get the email a few min after I send it. Good enough I suppose.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

is this a defect in the phone or bug on my s4 it worked fine?

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tmurray315 View Post
    So i just got the s5 yestrday and i cant get my gmail notifications to pop up. auto sync is turned on, notifications are turned on can anyone help me with this.
    Reset your gmail app and Google services framework, the next time you open a Google app it should an you for the account and other stuff, restart and send some test emails to see what happens, if that doesn't fix it, forget about return it just rest to factory and begin again, it must work then.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

how do i reset gmail app and google framework?

Hi

you need to set up notifications for each of your gmail tabs. Go into settings and click on your email address. Click on manage labels then select "Primary" then select label notifications. Do this for any other labels that you want to receive notifications for e.g. Social or Promotions.
    Hope that helps

Cheers
    Thanked by 4:

try factory resetting it. This also happen to me after i got my s5

Lightbulb Re: not getting gmail notifications on my s5

So, I was having the same problem.

I'd been looking around and inadvertently figured it out but reading someone else's similar issue on a completely other device.

Figured out I was only not receiving notifications when wi-fi was disconnected (at work, I feel like the 4G LTE connection is better than our internet connection, so I been keeping it off) and I was in power saving mode (not ultra, although I'd imagine that would be the same problem). As soon as I turned off power save I began receiving my notifications, whether I am am on wi-fi or not. Kinda makes sense when you think about the reasoning behind that.

Anyway, hope that helps.

PS - Alan Bosner - I followed your advice on the labels and I still wasn't getting notifications until I figured out the above. NOW, that turns out to be a big help, as I will receive ALL email notifications. Prior to reading this thread, I only had my "primary" label set up. Thanks
    Thanked by:

Whenever I turn off ultra power saving mode, I receive no push notifications for apps that I KNOW would have given me a notification. I use UPSM at night, and I'll wake up and turn it off, but I always have to reboot to see my push notifications, and even then I'm lucky to get my Gmails. Has anyone else had issues with Instagram, SnapChat, Facebook, etc not working AFTER Ultra Power Saving Mode has been turned off?
    mezrik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadias1795 View Post
    Whenever I turn off ultra power saving mode, I receive no push notifications for apps that I KNOW would have given me a notification. I use UPSM at night, and I'll wake up and turn it off, but I always have to reboot to see my push notifications, and even then I'm lucky to get my Gmails. Has anyone else had issues with Instagram, SnapChat, Facebook, etc not working AFTER Ultra Power Saving Mode has been turned off?
    So I had the same problem, and thought it was just the UPSM but apparently not because even when off/after rebooting don't get any notifications for any apps with the following exceptions: Gmail and messages work 100% of the time & Facebook and Twitter are hit or miss. But i don't get ANY other push notifications (Snapchat, ESPN, etc) unless the app happens to be open at the exact time the application is pushed to my phone (if the app is opened later on after one should have been received it does not come in upon opening). I've Uninstalled and reinstalled all the apps, checked the notification settings, and made sure data/background sync is on and nothing has worked. Needless to say, Verizon customer service was less than helpful when I called.

Has anyone else had this issue and/or been able to fix it? I'd really appreciate any suggestions bc I'm at a loss. Thanks!

I found this solution on another thread and it worked for me when I was having the same problem after doing the latest update.

go to settings > data usage > under the mobile tab .. click on the menu button (touch) > select Auto Sync data

Thanks Alan. That was the missing tick on mine. Cheers

I'm having the same problem. It just stops notifying me. I prefer to use the email icon rather than the gmail icon.