Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Eclipse2K
  • 1 Post By swanseawelsh
  • 1 Post By Eclipse2K
  • 1 Post By swanseawelsh
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S5 Staying lit on lock screen (GRRRR)

I have had my S5 2 days and love it so far....
    The only bug bear I have (and hope there is an easy fix) is that when I am in the lock screen
    If i press the side lock button or get a notification (sms/email/eBay) or when my charge hits 100% The screen lights up.
    I like this feature the only problem is then the screen does not go back out!! it stays lit until i tap the side lock button again or unlock the phone until it times out again
    I have checked developer options and nothing is ticked to keep screen on etc... I have also tried messing with screen lock times and stuff but being new to the phone I dont have much idea what i'm looking at or for.
    Any ideas guys??
    Thank you in advance of any help/info. (GREAT forum & website BTW... very informative)

Default Re: S5 Staying lit on lock screen (GRRRR)

Under Settings > Display do you happen to have Smart Stay turned on? I highly doubt that's the issue but just throwing it out there.

Edit: I would download "Wakelock Detector" from the app store and see what's keeping it awake. There's a high chance that an application you installed won't let the device sleep. Could be a weather app or something else.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)
    swanseawelsh likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Eclipse dude!!!!!!
    IF ever your down my way make sure I get you a pint or 3!!!!
    Wakelock found an app running (battery monitor if ever there was something more ironic) ha-ha.
    Deleted it and rebooted and its now flashing up to show the text come through then about 5 seconds later dimming again (as it should)
    Cheers matey!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Under Settings > Display do you happen to have Smart Stay turned on? I highly doubt that's the issue but just throwing it out there.

Edit: I would download "Wakelock Detector" from the app store and see what's keeping it awake. There's a high chance that an application you installed won't let the device sleep. Could be a weather app or something else.

Eclipse2K likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by swanseawelsh View Post
    Eclipse dude!!!!!!
    IF ever your down my way make sure I get you a pint or 3!!!!
    Wakelock found an app running (battery monitor if ever there was something more ironic) ha-ha.
    Deleted it and rebooted and its now flashing up to show the text come through then about 5 seconds later dimming again (as it should)
    Cheers matey!!!!
    Glad it worked! I used to use Battery Monitors just for the battery percentage but I can see that in TouchWiz. There may be settings in that app to prevent the WakeLock but if you don't need it why deal with it.

Drink 3 for me.

swanseawelsh likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yea well because its a new phone I thought id monitor battery use for a few days to see if there's anything running I could shave off to extend the batt...
    Turns out it was the battery monitor I had to shave off lol.
    Happy days!!
    Eclipse2K likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by swanseawelsh View Post
    Yea well because its a new phone I thought id monitor battery use for a few days to see if there's anything running I could shave off to extend the batt...
    Turns out it was the battery monitor I had to shave off lol.
    Happy days!!
    Keep the WakeLock detector installed and see if anything eats it up.

Time for sleep. Been a long night watching television and gaming.

Great advice for the screen staying on. Is there a way to disable the screen coming on all together when charging is complete. Even the few seconds of the screen coming on sometimes disrupts my sleep. I have seen numerous threads on this topic for the S3 and S4, but no of those fixes seem to apply to the S5, I could charge upside down or not charge at night but those aren't proper solutions. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts.

What am I looking for in Wakelock application? I downloaded the application, but am not sure what I am looking for. My phone stays lit up all night, too.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Hatcher View Post
    What am I looking for in Wakelock application? I downloaded the application, but am not sure what I am looking for. My phone stays lit up all night, too.

Posted via Android Central App
    Go to settings->Developer options->un-check the "Stay Awake" option.

To get Developer options to show up in the settings menu you: Settings->about phone->tap on "Build Number" 7 times. It will now allow you to go into developer options within the general settings area

Stay Awake in Developer Options was not checked. Wakelock Detector gives me an error that KitKat requires access to the root. I don't have a battery monitoring app installed. Now what?

Wakelock Detector doesn't work on android kit-kat without root acess. I fixed this problem by installing a third-party lock screen app. For anyone reading this try it and it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by atg284 View Post
    Go to settings->Developer options->un-check the "Stay Awake" option.

To get Developer options to show up in the settings menu you: Settings->about phone->tap on "Build Number" 7 times. It will now allow you to go into developer options within the general settings area
    what kind of stupid useless response is this? Curly asked a very specific question about a very specific thing, and this idiot comes in with useless advice that has NOTHING to do with the question. NOTHING. And Curly then obliged this stupidity and what happens? SILENCE. More idiotic responses.

FUCKING USELESS!!

He wasn't replying to curly gurl's question...