Native Camera App recording video issue w/ portrait/landscape

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Here's a new one. My phone works fine, but my wife's phone is doing something strange. Picture taking seems to work fine. However recording video seems backwards. Since our last phones, I taught her to turn the phone 90 deg when she records video to record regular old landscape video (you know, not to be one of those people and you know who you are - or maybe you don't that is why you still record video in portrait mode).

After she records video and then plays it back through the built in video-viewer, it rotates the video 90 deg back when watching it in landscape mode, the mode you should be seeing it as. It does the total opposite of what it should be doing. You record landscape video and watch in in landscape mode it should be staying put, not rotating back. So to see the video on the entire screen she has to turn her phone to portrait mode, but then viewing the video is sideways.

Is there some stupid setting somewhere that got tripped? I don't see anything and my phone with the exact same settings works just as it is supposed to work. :confused:

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I thought generally that the camera wasn't anchored to the auto rotate setting of the device but that it reacted to the orientation of the device during record mode. However given your explanation I would check that auto rotate is either enabled or not set to locked. Usually an easy way to check this is to open the browser and rotate the phone. If the browser rotates usually auto rotate is set to auto. I don't have an S5 so I'm not 100% on the options or settings you have available but in Settings>Displays and gestures see if both of your devices are set the same for rotation. Also since the S5 has some pretty nice camera settings and effects you may want to check the settings of each to see if there is any difference there. On the One my on screen buttons rotate as I change the orientation of the device so that they always look like they are face up even if I completely flip the phone to what would be upside down. Do your on screen menus and buttons rotate as they should or at all on her device? If they are rotating as they should then I would say playback is the issue and you may want to check the settings of the player, provided it isn't the native player. I don't believe there are any options there.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Like I said we have the same settings. Mine works fine, hers doesn't. We both have screen set to auto-rotate. When she rotates phone to record, the buttons and camera overlay change with the phones orientation. Playback is where it is screwy. There doesn't seem to be anything to change playback-wise.

Need some input from some S5 folks I guess.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Well since none of your S5 people want to comment, I guess something else you could try would be to play back on a pc or in a 3rd party app like MX Player. That might point to an issue with the camera or an issue with the player. If it turns out that it plays back ok on everything except the stock player the solution is easy use a different player or try to exchange it.

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply again. You know now for some reason it seems to work. Maybe it was a fluke or just a strange bug. I'll tell you what though we tried everything - and I mean everything, but it just wouldnt record the video right, it always flipped it around in playback.

Later I was thinking hey maybe she had the rotation set for Smart Stay to be on. No that wasn't it. The next day without even really doing anything, now it is working like it should. No changes were made.

Hmm, sure was strange. I hope it doesn't do that again.

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply again. You know now for some reason it seems to work. Maybe it was a fluke or just a strange bug. I'll tell you what though we tried everything - and I mean everything, but it just wouldnt record the video right, it always flipped it around in playback.

Later I was thinking hey maybe she had the rotation set for Smart Stay to be on. No that wasn't it. The next day without even really doing anything, now it is working like it should. No changes were made.

Hmm, sure was strange. I hope it doesn't do that again.

Always record or take pics in landscape(sideways) when you send texts etc it will automatically adjust.

Posted via Android Central App

jjd101

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
After suffering the same issue with my S5 I decided to go into a bit of testing

It's not quite as slick as my old HTC's, but.......

If you hold the phone in Portrait when you press the record button, then turn to Landscape while recording, it stays in Portrait for the entire playback

If you hold the phone in Landscape when you press the record button and keep it in Landscape then all is as you expect - playback is in Landscape (The same happens if you hold it in Portrait when you press record and keep it in Portrait - playback is in Portrait)

Hope this helps - sorry to revive an old thread

James Lowder

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I think you missed the point of this - which was that it wasn't adjusting, it was doing it backwards.

I encounteted the very same issue with my note 3 here's the solution after tinkering with the settings in camera mode hit the gear menu settings and turn smart stabilization on for both photos and video once this is on it knows when in landscape mode to play it back that way... I also tried adjusting the smooth motion for 60fps as well as adjusting the 16:9 and 4:3 ratios hope this helps

mydifferentfeet

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I encounteted the very same issue with my note 3 here's the solution after tinkering with the settings in camera mode hit the gear menu settings and turn smart stabilization on for both photos and video once this is on it knows when in landscape mode to play it back that way... I also tried adjusting the smooth motion for 60fps as well as adjusting the 16:9 and 4:3 ratios hope this helps

I also am having this issue. When I saw the above post, I was hopeful for a fix. However, when I go into camera settings, video stabilization is grayed out!! Any ideas?

I just got my S5 last weekend. Considered it an upgrade from the Nexus 5, and in many ways it is. However, I'm running into several quarks like this issue.

depogrl

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
So I have been dealing with this issue for months and months and have tried, unsuccessfully, to find someway to edit the video afterwards - especially after the wedding where my whole video of the actual ceremony was sideways....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Anyhoo, I tried your suggestion and while it did change to landscape mode, it recorded UPSIDE DOWN!!! Girl can't win!
Halp!!! Anyone??? Super annoying and can't seem to find a fix. TIA

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
So I have been dealing with this issue for months and months and have tried, unsuccessfully, to find someway to edit the video afterwards - (Snip)

Hi, if you have a windows computer to work with, you can rotate your videos. Microsoft has a program called "Movie Maker" which is included in their free "Windows Essentials" program. I had 2 videos on my S5 that a friend shot which were upside down.

~I transferred the videos to my pc.
~Downloaded Windows Essentials & installed just the just the Movie Maker program, (didn't need the others).
~Ran the program, loaded the video & under the 'Home Tab' there's an option to rotate left or rotate right.
~I just hit the rotate button till it was right side up. Really simple. Then loaded up the 2nd one. They now play right side up on the PC.

Some of the older versions of Windows had Movie Maker already installed. If you have an apple system, they probably have something similar.
Maybe this is something that you can use to save the videos you have already shot.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I also am having this issue. When I saw the above post, I was hopeful for a fix. However, when I go into camera settings, video stabilization is grayed out!! Any ideas?
I noticed if I have the HDA on, the Video Stabilization is no longer available. If I disable the HDA, the Video Stabilization option returns.

Damon Gilmore

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
I have a 3 too and find it frustrating to deal with this too... I played around with it and the settings and what seems to work is to turn off/on screen rotation to solve the problem when it starts to occur.... There is definitely a bug here that is going un-resolved....

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae