Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    425 Global Posts

Default Charging Issue with Micro USB

Is anyone else having an issue with the micro USB port? I can't seem to get a charge from it when using it in my car. I had a Note 3 that worked with no problem. Just curious if others have noticed it is particular in what charger it uses when not using the original cable or if I may have an issue.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Default Re: Charging Issue with Micro USB

Mine doesn't work in my car either. I'm not really sure why though because it worked great with my S4 and has worked with every other device that I own (nexus 7, ipad 2, note 8, and galaxy nexus). It's kinda annoying. It's good this phone has good battery life otherwise I would be screwed. I figure I'll just put up with it until I can find a wireless charging solution for the car. Just waiting on Samsung to release the cover.

Sent from my XPS 12-9Q33 using Tapatalk

I don't have an S5 to say definitively however I had a similar issue with another device. It turned out that my car adapter was the issue. It worked for other things but must have had an incompatible mA output that didn't allow the phone to charge. I picked up another one and haven't had any issues since. If there is a label on yours you can compare the output information to a label or package somewhere else to try and find something more compatible.

On a side note I've found that my One is finicky about cables. I had a cable that worked great with my old device and the One when I got it, but after allowing the kids to plug in it stopped working for my One. I was able to change the cable and get things working again. You may just want to try something like that before shelling out money for a new adapter.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.
    Thanked by:
    mush10 

I've tried multiple cables, so I think I may have to get another one. Hopefully I'll just get wireless charging soon and won't have to worry about it.

Sent from my XPS 12-9Q33 using Tapatalk

My car charger works fine

-Sent from Tapatalk

Are you trying to charge with a data cable plugged into the USB port in your car or a regular micro SD charger that plugs into the 12VDC socket just for clarification.

Regular microusb phone charger. Not the usb port

-Sent from Tapatalk
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    425 Global Posts

I just tried with my traditional car charger and it works. I was trying to use a 2.1 amp with USB prior.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by mush10 View Post
    I just tried with my traditional car charger and it works. I was trying to use a 2.1 amp with USB prior.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
    Maybe that's what the problem is. I have a dual charger, one port is a 1 amp and the other is 2.1 amps. I might need a traditional charger.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    425 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycemiskel View Post
    Maybe that's what the problem is. I have a dual charger, one port is a 1 amp and the other is 2.1 amps. I might need a traditional charger.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    That is what I am doing too.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Jones8 View Post
    Are you trying to charge with a data cable plugged into the USB port in your car or a regular micro SD charger that plugs into the 12VDC socket just for clarification.
    I used an old one in the socket. Worked fine with mine.

Posted via Android Central App

I had to switch out the AT&T brand micro USB cable that is plugged into my car bluetooth transmitter because the belkin USB cable plugged into a TomTom charger would only work with my s3, not my 5... No idea which number is an amp on it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMeMandi View Post
    I had to switch out the AT&T brand micro USB cable that is plugged into my car bluetooth transmitter because the belkin USB cable plugged into a TomTom charger would only work with my s3, not my 5... No idea which number is an amp on it lol.
    S3 charged with 1amp. S4 and s5 charges with 2amp.

If using a wall plug in with a 1amp, the s4 and s5 still charges, although much slower.

Not sure about the car charger though

-Sent from Tapatalk