Messages vs Message+

todd_k

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Noob question. I've been using Message+ because it's the first one I clicked on.

For veteran users - is there any reason to use one over the other, or am I overthinking it?

Thanks

EmmBeezee

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm also a noob, coming from a galaxy nexus to the s5. The first thing I noticed is the customization avaliable with messages that wasn't available with message+. So far that's the only difference I notice.

Posted via Android Central App

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I use hangouts

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thinking about using hangouts too. I've pretty much resigned myself to Google owning me anyway, might as well go all in. Wasn't sure how well it worked for SMS/MMS so I haven't yet.

Message+ seems like the Verizon thing? That was default but I switched it back to messages mainly because of familiarity and the ability to customize my message background.

Screenshot_2014-04-16-12-11-07.png

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Verizon Messages is awesome. It works on phone, tablet, web...... send and receive SMS/MMS regardless of the phone's OS.

Ceetar

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Verizon Messages is awesome. It works on phone, tablet, web...... send and receive SMS/MMS regardless of the phone's OS.

web? What exactly is it texting to on the web?

I guess it makes sense if you use multiple devices, but even if I had a tablet it'd probably be tethered to the phone so..

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
web? What exactly is it texting to on the web?

I guess it makes sense if you use multiple devices, but even if I had a tablet it'd probably be tethered to the phone so..

I can go to Verizon's Messages Webpage, login, then send or receive SMS messages. Once you authorize Verizon Messages on your phone, the web site becomes available for use as well. I currently use the Verizon Messages app on my S5, iPad, Chromebook (via web page) and Macbook Pro Retina (via web page). All access and all synced..... and best of all. All free.

The iPad, Chromebook and Mac dont have to be tethered to my phone... just wifi will do.

dataz722

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I can go to Verizon's Messages Webpage, login, then send or receive SMS messages. Once you authorize Verizon Messages on your phone, the web site becomes available for use as well. I currently use the Verizon Messages app on my S5, iPad, Chromebook (via web page) and Macbook Pro Retina (via web page). All access and all synced..... and best of all. All free.

The iPad, Chromebook and Mac dont have to be tethered to my phone... just wifi will do.

I had pretty much ignored message+ but that has me sold on it, to at least try it.

jmsnyc

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Quick question, I used an android app SMS Backup & Restore to backup my messages from the native SMS app, I am guessing that this app does not work with messaging+. But since message+ is usable across devices I am assuming messages are store on a Verizon server, so they are automatically backed up? (I am new to Verizon and I am not using their cloud backup)

Beretta96

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This is what I like about it. If I'm not near my phone but I have my tablet, I can text back. I don't know if this is strictly Verizon but it can tell you when someone is typing a message back.

jmsnyc

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
One thing I do not like is if a message thread is left open on a running tablet tor pc, you will not get an sms notification on your phone when the person replies.

Mike Spranger

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
any one else have a problem w message+ and an iphone? when i send texts to my wife, she gets them, but when she texts back the go through imessgae, and i never get them. switching over to samsung messages for a bit, hoping that fixes it

sdlakerfan8

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
You need to deactivate your iMessage account. You can do it from your iPhone, but if you google ways to deactivate it, there's a bunch of blogs/websites that will come up showing you how you can deactivate it. It needs to be done on all of your devices that utilize iMessage (iPhone, iPad, iMac, etc.).

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Textra is by far the fastest and best SMS there is. No need for any others

Posted via Android Central App

Unless you have an Android Wear device, then it's pretty much useless as Hangouts is the only texting app (so far that I've come across) that actually let's you send replies straight from the watch and scroll through entire conversations. Even if a notification is visible on the watch through a 3rd party texting app, the response is sent through Hangout. I don't really see a point in having two texting apps open at the same time so, for Android Wear users, Hangout is pretty much it.

At least it consumes less resources than Samsung's app, looks better, and integrates better with a Google account.

Shadowhawk

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I got a Verizon GS5 at the end of September. I started with Message+, and I loved the ability to text from other devices like my laptop, Nexus 7, and now-wi-fi-only iPhone, and how it keeps things synced. The messages are stored and synced via Verizon servers for something like 30 days or maybe some number of messages (some thousands?).

But I've since switched to more stock Android (or is it Samsung?) Messages, because of some customization available there that was not available in Message+. Verizon servers and the Message+ clients on my other devices still sync and receive my incoming text messages, and I can still text from them. But my outgoing messages from those other clients do not show up in my Messages app, where they would in my Message+ app.

It's not perfect, but it's a compromise that I'm okay with for now. I don't even quite remember what customization I could do in Messages that swayed me to it, so I'll likely revisit that decision at some point and look at the Message+ app again. (OH! One contributing factor to my switch was that Message+ kept crashing, especially after one of the updates...maybe both 4.4.3 and 4.4.4.)

kaliea

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I got a Verizon GS5 at the end of September. I started with Message+, and I loved the ability to text from other devices like my laptop, Nexus 7, and now-wi-fi-only iPhone, and how it keeps things synced. The messages are stored and synced via Verizon servers for something like 30 days or maybe some number of messages (some thousands?).

But I've since switched to more stock Android (or is it Samsung?) Messages, because of some customization available there that was not available in Message+. Verizon servers and the Message+ clients on my other devices still sync and receive my incoming text messages, and I can still text from them. But my outgoing messages from those other clients do not show up in my Messages app, where they would in my Message+ app.

It's not perfect, but it's a compromise that I'm okay with for now. I don't even quite remember what customization I could do in Messages that swayed me to it, so I'll likely revisit that decision at some point and look at the Message+ app again. (OH! One contributing factor to my switch was that Message+ kept crashing, especially after one of the updates...maybe both 4.4.3 and 4.4.4.)

kaliea

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
If you delete all your messages with message+ and then change over to messages, can you still go on to Verizon and view those messages

jmsnyc

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Really pissed Verizon crippled default messaging app by removing spam filter (on Samsung phones at least) - they must really want you to use this thing

Marissa Byrd

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
How/where do you get to it online? I have message+ and I wanted to pull texts up online and can't figure out how. I looked/searched on the Verizon site, but can't find anything. Google'd as well. Thanks!