Syncing WOES

Chris Abbott

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Alright. My phone is having a huge problem syncing. First I noticed it with Gmail. I can tell how instant I am getting emails because I am sitting here at work on my PC. I can send an email from where ever (in this case my outlook work address), send it...see the email pop up on my screen in the Gmail internet tab. Here is the thing. It takes anywhere from 1-20 mins for the email to finally get to my phone. It is SO random. Sometimes if I pick my phone up and turn the screen on, it pushes through alittle faster. I have tried everything (I think) the last two days. Obviously all my settings are correct. AutoSync, the Sync settings in the gmail itself.

To see if it was just gmail, I put my work email on the phone to see how that works. It's EXACTLY the same. Sporadic syncing. I then tried cloudmagic email app which people rave about. Same thing.

What gives? I've about had it with this phone. I even tried a factory reset this morning. Still have the issue. I'm thinking of taking the phone back honestly. Could this be a hardware thing to do with connection? I've tried all of this with strong wifi on, and with perfect 4G signal. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
It does sound like a connectivity problem, but that should affect all internet services. Is it only mail? What about other services requiring syncing, such as calendar, google music, dropbox, etc.? Do you see anything suspicious in your internet browser? Have you tried going into the google account settings and turn of all of the syncing then turning them back on again?

Are you using any apps that control your connectivity, such as a smart wifi manager?

Chris Abbott

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
It does sound like a connectivity problem, but that should affect all internet services. Is it only mail? What about other services requiring syncing, such as calendar, google music, dropbox, etc.? Do you see anything suspicious in your internet browser? Have you tried going into the google account settings and turn of all of the syncing then turning them back on again?

Are you using any apps that control your connectivity, such as a smart wifi manager?

Internet seems fine. Everything seems fine really. Just mail. Sometimes weather seems alittle slow on beautiful widgets. No apps like smart wifi manager. I feel like I've thought of everything. I just wonder if it is a hardware issue and if I should return the thing.

tmurray315

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I tried factory resetting my phone turned on all sync all notifications are turned on I reset my account and still nothing wondering if it's the phone or what not. My yahoo mail works so I don't know why I'm having problems with Gmail

Chris Abbott

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I tried factory resetting my phone turned on all sync all notifications are turned on I reset my account and still nothing wondering if it's the phone or what not. My yahoo mail works so I don't know why I'm having problems with Gmail

Does your gmail notifications NEVER work? Like I said, sometimes mine do come through away, sometimes it takes 5-20 mins. It's random. I have a perfect connection. The weird thing is, I even tried cloudmagic and the same crappy results.

Chris Abbott

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
You think it's our phones? My yahoo email works fine

I think it might be for mine. I think your phone is probably OK since you NEVER get gmails, and get yahoo's fine. Sounds like a software issue. I'd rather be in your position.

*edit* I'm just talking out of my ***. That's what make's sense to me and how I see it., lol

Last edited:

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
It does not sound like a phone problem - it sounds like a gmail and google sync issue. Gmail on my S3 nearly always works fine. But now and then, it gets stuck - most commonly, an email with a photo attached gets stuck in the outbox. Or the calendar or contacts won't sync. Sometimes it just goes away. Sometimes a reboot or battery pull helps. I can often fix it by going to settings - application manager - clear data, then resyncing. Sometimes, rebooting in engineering mode and clearing the device cache helps - much quicker and easier than a factory reset.

It does sound like you've tried everything, and that this most likely a google software issue, and its intermittent because it only happens when certain circumstances come together. But if your phone is new enough to come under warranty, you've got nothing to lose by asking for a replacement, except your time and energy.

I think its the work-in-progress nature of Android.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
One more thought if you have not already done it: Uninstall gmail - you can't get rid of it completely, but you can undo the updates back to the factory version. See if it works in that mode, then try updating again to the latest version.