Forgot my Alternate Password...

foampro

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Fingerprint to unlock and I don't remember my Alternate Password which it's prompting me to put in when sync'ing my work calendar. It never pops up anything to recover my password or reset. What are my options? I can't even reset the phone without it.

here4kids

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
it's been said that when you delete all the fingerprints this password is removed. then you start over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

SNOOP97DAWG

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Easy had that happen to me... Just go online to android device manager log in with your google log in wait till it locates your phone u then click to lock your device it asks you for a new password. It over rides whatever password or lock feature u have on it. Then you get phone type the new password and boom problem solved :cool:

Elizabeth McKeown

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I just tried this and it worked just like you said. Big thanks!!!!! I just hit one little snag, you might want to add this to your post in case there are other idiots like me out there: once I changed the password in Android Device Manager I couldn't see anywhere to enter it on my phone. I just had a black screen that said "locked". I finally tried hitting the back button and that took me to the right screen (enter password).

davehorner

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
As mentioned earlier Samsung Galaxy my website discusses this a bit more... but in case you prefer this information inline:

Delete all the fingerprints registered (verifying by fingerprint or alternative password) inside the Fingerprint manager (settings->Finger Scanner). When all registered prints are removed (long pressing and deleting each registered print), the lock screen will go back to swipe.

Cheers
--dave

Last edited:

sirmaru

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I just went to the Android Device Manager site to see what its all about. They located my S5 as of 24 hours ago within 15 meters of my house. From that screen one can ring the device until the battery runs down, lock the device and insert a new password, or totally erase anything on the device.

That means all of us S5 owners can now be located by ATT, Google, Samsung AND the Federal government. This is FANTASTIC.

Customers, who know this, can never really lose their device but they could destroy its usefulness. Plus, there is no need to worry about forgetting the device password.

Jujst a few years ago this would only be mentioned in science fiction.

tavenger5

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
That means all of us S5 owners can now be located by ATT, Google, Samsung AND the Federal government. This is FANTASTIC.

Think about that for just a bit longer. Why would the federal government (or anyone else) use a Google service that you are well aware of to locate you? And why is it limited to s5 owners?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I just went to the Android Device Manager site to see what its all about. They located my S5 as of 24 hours ago within 15 meters of my house. From that screen one can ring the device until the battery runs down, lock the device and insert a new password, or totally erase anything on the device.

Customers, who know this, can never really lose their device but they could destroy its usefulness. Plus, there is no need to worry about forgetting the device password.

Jujst a few years ago this would only be mentioned in science fiction.

Don't you need to be logged into your Google account, with your password, to use Device Manager? If AT&T, et al, have your Google account password they can do a lot worse than locate your phone.

Sheesh, think it through.

anon(8815240)

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar problem, but none of the above solutions has worked for me. I have forgotten the alternate password, and now the fingerprint scanner no longer recognizes my fingerprint! (I know I have used the same finger, but about every 3rd or 4th try, it says the print is unrecognized.) I can get in through my Google account, but long pressing on the saved fingerprint does nothing, and I see no other menu option. I went through android device manager, and was able to lock the phone and use a new password. On unlocking the phone, (again by Google because the scanner did not recognize the fingerprint and the alternate password did not work), I still cannot delete the saved fingerprint. Any ideas?

Michael Horne1

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Dave Horner , my Alternative Password didn`t work , but by going to the Fingerprint Manager and removing all Fingerprints it took the Password off as well , will stick to the Swipe Screen methinks, oh and the Guy above who couldn`t do it , I made the mistake of clicking on Fingerprints the Manager is in the Lock Screen Menu

John Boyd4

May 2, 2014
Visit site
The Alternate Password is your password to your Gmail email account. From reading this I think some have confused it for the backup Pin. The backup pin is if you forget you password. I hope you see this before anymore people factory reset their phones.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
The Alternate Password is your password to your Gmail email account.

The alternate password for the fingerprint scanner isnt my Gmail email password. I believe the OP is in the same position: forgot alt fingerprint scanner and the fingerprint scanner wont accept his fingerprint.

You can unlock your phone using ADM, however, you cant use the fingerprint scanner because a) it wont accept your fingerprint b) you dont know your alt fingerprint scanner password.

I'm in the same boat...... my have to reset my phone this weekend. :(

John Boyd4

May 2, 2014
Visit site
When you set the finger print it did not ask you for a alternate password to remember that is why so many people are having a hard time remembering it. The alternate password is your Gmail email password. I know this works as I have done this to correct several phones. If you are having a problem you might have 2 stage authentication and you have not installed that authenticator to your new phone install it scan the bar code from your PC or put in a code and try again.

Last edited:

latoyamanning82

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I tried using the android device manager but have had no luck it's asking me to send a notification to my phone. I don't want to do a hard reset any other suggestions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith