Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Angry Forgot my Alternate Password...

I've been using Fingerprint to unlock and I don't remember my Alternate Password which it's prompting me to put in when sync'ing my work calendar. It never pops up anything to recover my password or reset. What are my options? I can't even reset the phone without it.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Forgot my Alternate Password...

it's been said that when you delete all the fingerprints this password is removed. then you start over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Easy had that happen to me... Just go online to android device manager log in with your google log in wait till it locates your phone u then click to lock your device it asks you for a new password. It over rides whatever password or lock feature u have on it. Then you get phone type the new password and boom problem solved
    Thanked by 25:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

Same thing happened to me lol! Let me know if you get it fixed

I had same problem. I fixed it with this advice: Samsung Galaxy
    Thanked by 4:
    davehorner likes this.

I just tried this and it worked just like you said. Big thanks!!!!! I just hit one little snag, you might want to add this to your post in case there are other idiots like me out there: once I changed the password in Android Device Manager I couldn't see anywhere to enter it on my phone. I just had a black screen that said "locked". I finally tried hitting the back button and that took me to the right screen (enter password).
    Thanked by 4:
    eMarkable and Impymouse like this.

How do you delete registered finger prints

Posted via Android Central App

As mentioned earlier Samsung Galaxy my website discusses this a bit more... but in case you prefer this information inline:

Delete all the fingerprints registered (verifying by fingerprint or alternative password) inside the Fingerprint manager (settings->Finger Scanner). When all registered prints are removed (long pressing and deleting each registered print), the lock screen will go back to swipe.

Cheers
    --dave
    Thanked by 3:
    mybelovedjoy likes this.

I just went to the Android Device Manager site to see what its all about. They located my S5 as of 24 hours ago within 15 meters of my house. From that screen one can ring the device until the battery runs down, lock the device and insert a new password, or totally erase anything on the device.

That means all of us S5 owners can now be located by ATT, Google, Samsung AND the Federal government. This is FANTASTIC.

Customers, who know this, can never really lose their device but they could destroy its usefulness. Plus, there is no need to worry about forgetting the device password.

Jujst a few years ago this would only be mentioned in science fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Smith9 View Post
    How do you delete registered finger prints

Posted via Android Central App
    Go into the fingerprint setting in settings and long press each fingerprint

-Sent from Tapatalk
    davehorner likes this.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
    That means all of us S5 owners can now be located by ATT, Google, Samsung AND the Federal government. This is FANTASTIC.
    Think about that for just a bit longer. Why would the federal government (or anyone else) use a Google service that you are well aware of to locate you? And why is it limited to s5 owners?

Quote Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
    I just went to the Android Device Manager site to see what its all about. They located my S5 as of 24 hours ago within 15 meters of my house. From that screen one can ring the device until the battery runs down, lock the device and insert a new password, or totally erase anything on the device.

Customers, who know this, can never really lose their device but they could destroy its usefulness. Plus, there is no need to worry about forgetting the device password.

Jujst a few years ago this would only be mentioned in science fiction.
    Don't you need to be logged into your Google account, with your password, to use Device Manager? If AT&T, et al, have your Google account password they can do a lot worse than locate your phone.

Sheesh, think it through.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Quote Originally Posted by whipab View Post
    I had same problem. I fixed it with this advice: Samsung Galaxy
    I tried this method to change my alternate password and it did not work.

I have a similar problem, but none of the above solutions has worked for me. I have forgotten the alternate password, and now the fingerprint scanner no longer recognizes my fingerprint! (I know I have used the same finger, but about every 3rd or 4th try, it says the print is unrecognized.) I can get in through my Google account, but long pressing on the saved fingerprint does nothing, and I see no other menu option. I went through android device manager, and was able to lock the phone and use a new password. On unlocking the phone, (again by Google because the scanner did not recognize the fingerprint and the alternate password did not work), I still cannot delete the saved fingerprint. Any ideas?

Thanks Dave Horner , my Alternative Password didn`t work , but by going to the Fingerprint Manager and removing all Fingerprints it took the Password off as well , will stick to the Swipe Screen methinks, oh and the Guy above who couldn`t do it , I made the mistake of clicking on Fingerprints the Manager is in the Lock Screen Menu

The Alternate Password is your password to your Gmail email account. From reading this I think some have confused it for the backup Pin. The backup pin is if you forget you password. I hope you see this before anymore people factory reset their phones.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boyd4 View Post
    The Alternate Password is your password to your Gmail email account.
    The alternate password for the fingerprint scanner isnt my Gmail email password. I believe the OP is in the same position: forgot alt fingerprint scanner and the fingerprint scanner wont accept his fingerprint.

You can unlock your phone using ADM, however, you cant use the fingerprint scanner because a) it wont accept your fingerprint b) you dont know your alt fingerprint scanner password.

I'm in the same boat...... my have to reset my phone this weekend.

When you set the finger print it did not ask you for a alternate password to remember that is why so many people are having a hard time remembering it. The alternate password is your Gmail email password. I know this works as I have done this to correct several phones. If you are having a problem you might have 2 stage authentication and you have not installed that authenticator to your new phone install it scan the bar code from your PC or put in a code and try again.

I tried using the android device manager but have had no luck it's asking me to send a notification to my phone. I don't want to do a hard reset any other suggestions

I tried this but not working

Hate to be a jerk, but how in the world are you all forgetting your password?

-Sent from Tapatalk
    1Coopgt likes this.

Great! U Da Man!
    Thanks!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    ROM
    Depends on what day

This worked so easy thanks a bunch.
    Thanked by:

did you configure your samsung account ( find my mobile ) ? you can unlock your screen by this way

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOP97DAWG View Post
    Easy had that happen to me... Just go online to android device manager log in with your google log in wait till it locates your phone u then click to lock your device it asks you for a new password. It over rides whatever password or lock feature u have on it. Then you get phone type the new password and boom problem solved
    Thanks for this - I'd been trying a ton of different ways using the ADB, etc, none of which worked on the S5 as they (apparently) would have on my older phones. I'm not sure why the lock screen doesn't prompt to unlock with your google account password after X number or failed attempts like I've seen on all my other devices (or maybe that's only with the pattern? If so, that seems a bit short sighted...).

Regardless, up until now the only way I could unlock my phone was to use the 'Find My Mobile' feature at account.samsung.com and then use the 'Lock My Mobile' feature to set a temporary PIN (I do not have an 'Unlock My Mobile' section for some reason like I've seen in screenshots online). Doing this allowed me access to the phone, but kept the previous password in place so it'd ultimately lock again with that password and I'd have to start over.

I was unaware of this device manager capability, but it worked like a charm since I could already get into my phone using the Samsung PIN feature. Those of you who don't already have that Google Device Manager setup, I'd say it's highly advised. If google, the feds, etc really wanted to find you, I'm sure they could, regardless of this feature setting...and if you don't want to be found, then you shouldn't have a cell phone at all, especially from a major provider.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast