Galaxy S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's definitely slower than the M8. There is no sense of "immediacy". It's more like "you pressed something......and now I'll do it".

On its own in a vacuum it's plenty fast, but that doesn't make other things not faster. So the S5 is fast, but the M8 is faster.

To be clear, I have seen no stutters. Those are different. It hasn't hung on anything I've asked it to do. There's just this delay between when you tell it to do something and when that action actually happens.

I still disagree on the lag, I'm coming from a Nexus 5 and I see no difference at all. Things are pretty instant on both devices.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I haven't noticed any lag except for the lock screen. When I hit the power button it takes longer than it should for the screen to come on.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I Don't have the One cause the s5 has more of what I prefer. Its obvious that the one is faster. Kudos to HTC there. However the guy in the video makes a big deal about the slight pauses with the gs5 detracting from the overall user experience. But I haven't found that at all. I really do think people are making an necessary big deal over all this. But I guess it might matter to some..ah well..

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I Don't have the One cause the s5 has more of what I prefer. Its obvious that the one is faster. Kudos to HTC there. However the guy in the video makes a big deal about the slight pauses with the gs5 detracting from the overall user experience. But I haven't found that at all. I really do think people are making an necessary big deal over all this. But I guess it might matter to some..ah well..

We all have our preferences. :)

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

sdsubball23

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
How would you all compare how fast and smooth this phone is with the iPhone 5S?

When I tries the phone at the VZ Store and Bestbuy, it was really fast, but I did notice some lag such as in the camera settings during the camera mode.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

The .5% of owners on here might notice it, but the other 99.5% of buyers will never notice it.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

You don't notice it because you don't have an m8 right next to you. If you used both of them side by side for a little while, it might become more obvious.

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
You don't notice it because you don't have an m8 right next to you. If you used both of them side by side for a little while, it might become more obvious.

Not disputing that at all dude. As I said, i'm not in a position to say otherwise. However I still don't think the slight delay is as terrible a distraction the guys says it is. I don't think its a distraction at all. I also posted a pic of both of my phones in the "Official: I love my Galaxy S5 thread". The other phone being a nexus 5. So i'm kinda basing my experience off of that too.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Not disputing that at all dude. As I said, i'm not in a position to say otherwise. However I still don't think the slight delay is as terrible a distraction the guys says it is. I don't think its a distraction at all.

Maybe not, I was just pointing out that these things don't really matter because you don't have both devices to compare side by side.

The biggest issue I saw was that TouchWiz doesn't manage ram as well as Sense 6. When multitasking on the s5, you have to reload apps when you switch between them, whereas on the m8 you don't. The little delay wouldn't bother me at all unless I had both devices and the ram management probably won't be an issue to a lot of people

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

Turn off the double tap the home button to launch s-voice. What's happening is every time you hit the home button the phone is holding on to see if you tap it again. If you turn it off you'll see a major difference

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

So how do you turn it off?

damiand2002

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I have the htc one m8 and the galaxy s5 and the s5 totally lags. Not much as the s4 but its not even close as smooth as the m8. I still like it but everything lags. Scrolling is not as fluid as the m8. Its still a good phone but it lags.

gavinfabl

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
My S5 is relatively smooth but does lag from time to time. Camera opening takes ages sometimes. Screen redraws too. My M8 is miles faster. But it's relative. Does it matter. Not really. Only when the camera takes 5 seconds to open because it has frozen temporarily.

tomothy94

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
It's definitely slower than the M8. There is no sense of "immediacy". It's more like "you pressed something......and now I'll do it".

On its own in a vacuum it's plenty fast, but that doesn't make other things not faster. So the S5 is fast, but the M8 is faster.

To be clear, I have seen no stutters. Those are different. It hasn't hung on anything I've asked it to do. There's just this delay between when you tell it to do something and when that action actually happens.

This delay can be vastly shortened by enabling developer settings and turning down the speed of animations

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This delay can be vastly shortened by enabling developer settings and turning down the speed of animations

Yep. Should definitely NOT have to do that, though. Makes me question why Samsung chose such slow animations as the default.

I typically keep things stock for a while without changing anything at all on any device to make it an "apples-to-apples" comparison. This way I get to see the device the way the manufacturer intended. I just disabled MyMagazine yesterday, for example.