Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 224
Like Tree40Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Galaxy S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    There have been several references to this phone lagging. First of all I donít recall any lag at all when I played with it in the Vz store. But if there are occasional lags are they due to the Touch Wiz OS? And if this is presumed to be the cause shouldn't switching to a 3rd party launcher like Nova rectify the problem (if there even is one)?

    For those of you who have the phone what's your experience with the phone's smoothness? I'm coming from an HTC DNA which is smooth as butter. The DNA's camera is crap and the screen doesn't come close to the S5.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-17-2014 at 01:48 AM.
    Sent from Verizon Galaxy S5 (usually) in NYC
  2. #2  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    I have not experienced any lag at all.

    Posted via Android Central App
  3. #3  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    Nor have I.
  4. #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    There have been several references to this phone lagging. First of all I donít recall any lag at all when I played with it in the Vz store. But if there are occasional lags are they due to the Touch Wiz OS? And if this is presumed to be the cause shouldn't switching to a 3rd party launcher like Nova rectify the problem (if there even is one)?

    For those of you who have the phone what's your experience with the phone's smoothness? I'm coming from an HTC DNA which is smooth as butter. The DNA's camera is crap and the screen doesn't come close to the S5.
    There really isn't any lag outside of a slow transition to My Magazine. Even then, I wouldn't call that lag---it's just a heavy animation. That's the big difference between Touchwiz and other UIs. Luckily, you can change the animation speeds in developer settings and even change the transition animation in Touchwiz in the Home settings. I believe there's card stack, which is default. That animation is fine. There's carousel like the old Touchwiz, and there's no animation like stock Android.

    I'm not sure how long you got to play with it at Verizon, but I've had it since Friday and it's lag free. Now there's people here and elsewhere that like perpetuating these myths that it lags horribly, so don't take my word for it or anyone elses. Play with it again and verify for yourself.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  
    Greg C's Avatar

    Posts
    1,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,656 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    I have at this phone for 5 days now and I haven't experienced any lag at all. I'm using Apex Launcher and not TouchWiz so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.



    Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    There have been several references to this phone lagging. First of all I don’t recall any lag at all when I played with it in the Vz store. But if there are occasional lags are they due to the Touch Wiz OS? And if this is presumed to be the cause shouldn't switching to a 3rd party launcher like Nova rectify the problem (if there even is one)?

    For those of you who have the phone what's your experience with the phone's smoothness? I'm coming from an HTC DNA which is smooth as butter. The DNA's camera is crap and the screen doesn't come close to the S5.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    Great to hear all the positive answers so far. The guys over at the M8 board are going on and on about the "S5 lag." Methinks I detect a bit of sour grapes. (LOL)
  7. #7  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    I had some lag yesterday but I rebooted the phone and it went away. I think it was just a runaway app. Other than that one time , it has been really smooth.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    Great to hear all the positive answers so far. The guys over at the M8 board are going on and on about the "S5 lag." Methinks I detect a bit of sour grapes. (LOL)
    Hence my mention of perpetuating the myth. I've gotten more infraction points than the S5 has milliamp hours for telling the truth about the M8, though, so I'd hesitate before saying anything negative in that regard.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    Quote Originally Posted by Adranalyne View Post
    Hence my mention of perpetuating the myth. I've gotten more infraction points than the S5 has milliamp hours for telling the truth about the M8, though, so I'd hesitate before saying anything negative in that regard.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Are you saying the Mods around here are M8-centric? Jeez, what ever happened to a free flow of discussion so long as there is no ad hominum stuff???
  10. #10  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    Well whoever says this phone doesn't have any lag apparently has never used stock android, or an aosp ROM like cm11. This is one sluggish dang phone if I've ever seen it. Just little things like unlocking it, or pulling up dialer, or the time it takes for a webpage to actually be scrollable, compared to the lg g2 with cm11 this thing is a turd lol. Still like the phone but it definitely needs some optimization

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 2:
    Kashan Osama likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    And just to clarify, this phone is definitely fast, I'm not saying its slow by any means, in a lot of cases its faster than the g2 but just random times it wants to chug and go slow. No reasons really. Seems like ram gets low or something. The g2 was a lot more consistent

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Kashan Osama likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    I feel like i wanna answer this, but at the same time i don't because i will be flamed lol. I have the S5 and the M8. I have had the M8 for a few days before the S5. TO BE HONEST, i have noticed some stutters using "touchwiz" compared to Sense 6. I think this just has to do with that Touch Wiz is just a heavier more feature packed OS. Where Sense 6 is more toned down with a couple of goodies in there.

    That said both fast phones, and a lot of people use 3rd party launchers. Sense 6 is like no joke almost as fast as ive seen on recent Apple devices. I am a Samsung guy usually no bias here. Samsung TV, Note 3, Note 2, S4, S3 had em all.

    I think i am gonna install NOVA on the S5, and keep the stock sense 6 on the m8. And test it out from there.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    Don't own an S5. I have an HTC One M7. I did play with 3 S5 in an at&t store and 1 of them had a bad lag but the other 2 were fine. The one that did lag took about 8 seconds for the camera to open. It may be because it was a store display and we all now what they go through.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    Quote Originally Posted by James E1 View Post
    Don't own an S5. I have an HTC One M7. I did play with 3 S5 in an at&t store and 1 of them had a bad lag but the other 2 were fine. The one that did lag took about 8 seconds for the camera to open. It may be because it was a store display and we all now what they go through.
    Perhaps something to do with RAM management? I know you could always clear the ram on touchwiz etc.
    Kashan Osama likes this.
  15. #15  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,891 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,081 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    Quote Originally Posted by kregstrong View Post
    Well whoever says this phone doesn't have any lag apparently has never used stock android, or an aosp ROM like cm11. This is one sluggish dang phone if I've ever seen it. Just little things like unlocking it, or pulling up dialer, or the time it takes for a webpage to actually be scrollable, compared to the lg g2 with cm11 this thing is a turd lol. Still like the phone but it definitely needs some optimization

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by kregstrong View Post
    And just to clarify, this phone is definitely fast, I'm not saying its slow by any means, in a lot of cases its faster than the g2 but just random times it wants to chug and go slow. No reasons really. Seems like ram gets low or something. The g2 was a lot more consistent

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    This is the point I've been trying to make, but you said it better.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    Quote Originally Posted by Adranalyne View Post
    Hence my mention of perpetuating the myth. I've gotten more infraction points than the S5 has milliamp hours for telling the truth about the M8, though, so I'd hesitate before saying anything negative in that regard.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    Are you saying the Mods around here are M8-centric? Jeez, what ever happened to a free flow of discussion so long as there is no ad hominum stuff???
    Free flow of discussion is still alive and well but there are some that feel the only way to get their point across is by taking things personally with another member, then things turn for the worse.

    Also we appreciate it if discussion of how things are moderated is left out of the thread. If there is ever a question about moderating please contact me or anyone else on the Mod team.

    Carry on, thanks!
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

    I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:
    Johnly 
    marrzie likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    No lag here. Returned an S4 last year due to lag but this S5 rocks. I've had a Note 3, iPhone 5s, HTC One M7 and Nexus 5 and its as smooth as any with stock touchwiz.
    Last edited by totaled; 04-16-2014 at 06:46 PM.
  18. #18  

    Default

    I don't think this UI is going to be stock Android fast at any point. Let's consider everything they have added into it and how they've designed it. Saying it's a little slower than phones with minimalistic UIs like Sense or CM11 is fair. Saying it "lags" is a different story. It doesn't stutter. It doesn't struggle. It's just heavy with animations and until they decide to go a different way with their UI, it'll always be slightly behind other UIs.

    That said, it's not slow, either. I know there's a lot of people that want that to be true so badly, but it isn't. If you're picky about 1/10 of a second difference in some cases, by all means, avoid this phone. If you're like most people, this will be more than enough to make you happy.

    Not to mention you can take 2 minutes to alter a few settings and make it faster. Most people won't because they don't care, but it's there if you want to.

    Too bad you can't ask the internet to fix inferior hardware or pray for people outside of tech sites to care about your product.

    Posted via Android Central App
  19. #19  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    It's stutters way less than the s4 but definitely not as fluid as the n5. The multitasking button is my big complaint. It's just slow to respond.

    Posted via Android Central App
  20. #20  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetypie31 View Post
    I have not experienced any lag at all.

    Posted via Android Central App
    This

    Posted via Android Central App
  21. #21  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    Compared to sense it lags. My daughter had the s5 so I was able to compare both side by side.. while both phones were fast the s5 seemed to slow down or stutter after a while.. just my experience...

    Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app
  22. #22  
    jschu22's Avatar

    Posts
    426 Posts
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    Time to be open minded people- This phone is slow to open at times for a cutting edge device. I call that lag, but you can call it whatever you want.

    Don't get me wrong, its fast for almost everything and I still love it, but something as simple as turning on the screen should be lightning fast for a 5 day old high end device.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    Arcadias1795 and Kashan Osama like this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    No lag whatsoever! This is actually pretty amazing coming from an S4 which lagged so much
    - Using the Galaxy S5! -
  24. #24  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    Quote Originally Posted by kregstrong View Post
    Well whoever says this phone doesn't have any lag apparently has never used stock android, or an aosp ROM like cm11. This is one sluggish dang phone if I've ever seen it. Just little things like unlocking it, or pulling up dialer, or the time it takes for a webpage to actually be scrollable, compared to the lg g2 with cm11 this thing is a turd lol. Still like the phone but it definitely needs some optimization

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    i have use CM and other asop roms, and used a friends nexus. The S5 if pretty much just as fast and smooth.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: S5 And Lag... Does It Or Doesn't It???

    Quote Originally Posted by ab304945 View Post
    i have use CM and other asop roms, and used a friends nexus. The S5 if pretty much just as fast and smooth.
    Lol that actually made me laugh pretty hard, thanks for that

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 80
    Last Post: 09-02-2014, 12:30 AM
  2. Probably the cutest flappy bird clone...you all will love it
    By wickedsunny01 in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 09:07 PM
  3. can I get this cheaper or the same price somewhere else?
    By Go Ogle in forum Samsung Galaxy S5 Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 08:56 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 05:11 PM
  5. Can't open links in emails or Facebook
    By eowyn1113 in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 02:19 PM

Posting Permissions