HTC One (M8) or Galaxy S5: Which phone is "better"?

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: HTC ONE M8 or Samsung Galaxy S5 ?? Which phone is "better" ?

I like the M8, but I'm sold on wireless charging.

Posted via Android Central App

judicious

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

I just bought the S5 today but I was so unsure of which to buy that I had to toss a coin in the end! What a tough choice it was...

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

S5. You can fix whatever shortcomings you believe the phone has. It's an extremely versatile, durable device.

Can't fix awkward height, same display as last year, and a very limited camera.

judicious

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

S5. You can fix whatever shortcomings you believe the phone has. It's an extremely versatile, durable device.

Can't fix awkward height, same display as last year, and a very limited camera.

The camera is limited on the M8 but really unless somebody is printing or cropping pics constantly, the difference is probably negligible i.e. if just using pics for FB or for viewing on your phone it's not such a big deal.

I'm interested to know if you've used the M8 at length what you didn't like about it apart from the camera/display/height? genuine question because having bought the S5 today, I wish I could have the M8 for a few days to see how it is because part of me wanted to try out something different!

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

The camera is limited on the M8 but really unless somebody is printing or cropping pics constantly, the difference is probably negligible i.e. if just using pics for FB or for viewing on your phone it's not such a big deal.

I'm interested to know if you've used the M8 at length what you didn't like about it apart from the camera/display/height? genuine question because having bought the S5 today, I wish I could have the M8 for a few days to see how it is because part of me wanted to try out something different!

That's the stock answer for people who want to believe the camera isn't limited. Upload a shot to Google+ and watch how much detail you lose. It's not just printing pictures. It also has zero clue what to do in daylight. It blows out natural light like crazy as well as adds a purple hue to quite a few shots in that regard.

I had it on my sim for a day to play with it while a friend used my Nexus 5. It's really not all that different than the M7. Sense 6 is better than Sense 5.5, but not by a lot, and the M7 will have it next month. I like the design of the M7 better, but that's preference. It's easier to use one handed and it doesn't waste screen space. Louder external speakers mean jack squat to me----if I called myself an audiophile, I'd use external speakers that far exceed the quality of Boomsound.

So the design didn't do much for me. Neither did Boomsound. The camera, while quicker, wasn't much of an improvement over the M7. The screen is the same. I'd say the only 2 things that are better is that it's faster and has better battery life.

As far as the S5 goes, that's where this gets interesting. The design is more functional; IP67, wireless charging capable, removable battery, and you can customize the back cover if you want. It's also shorter, lighter, and thinner. The display is more versatile with screen modes for preferences. It's also just gorgeous. I have zero problem saying the S5 has a better display. The camera is also more versatile. The only thing it doesn't do is take better low light photos than the M8. It's the superior camera. Battery life is close, and I didn't have the M8 long enough to judge, but after all the tests I've seen, the S5 seemingly has better battery life. Not by much, although you can add a larger battery or swap them out in the middle of the day.

The UI is quick, but not as quick as the M8. You can alter some settings (ART, animation/window/transition speeds, etc) to improve the S5. That's really the only thing about the M8 that appeals to me, but a few tenths of a second in app opening times isn't enough for me to give up all the other advantages the S5 holds over the M8.

judicious

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

That's the stock answer for people who want to believe the camera isn't limited. Upload a shot to Google+ and watch how much detail you lose. It's not just printing pictures. It also has zero clue what to do in daylight. It blows out natural light like crazy as well as adds a purple hue to quite a few shots in that regard.

I had it on my sim for a day to play with it while a friend used my Nexus 5. It's really not all that different than the M7. Sense 6 is better than Sense 5.5, but not by a lot, and the M7 will have it next month. I like the design of the M7 better, but that's preference. It's easier to use one handed and it doesn't waste screen space. Louder external speakers mean jack squat to me----if I called myself an audiophile, I'd use external speakers that far exceed the quality of Boomsound.

So the design didn't do much for me. Neither did Boomsound. The camera, while quicker, wasn't much of an improvement over the M7. The screen is the same. I'd say the only 2 things that are better is that it's faster and has better battery life.

As far as the S5 goes, that's where this gets interesting. The design is more functional; IP67, wireless charging capable, removable battery, and you can customize the back cover if you want. It's also shorter, lighter, and thinner. The display is more versatile with screen modes for preferences. It's also just gorgeous. I have zero problem saying the S5 has a better display. The camera is also more versatile. The only thing it doesn't do is take better low light photos than the M8. It's the superior camera. Battery life is close, and I didn't have the M8 long enough to judge, but after all the tests I've seen, the S5 seemingly has better battery life. Not by much, although you can add a larger battery or swap them out in the middle of the day.

The UI is quick, but not as quick as the M8. You can alter some settings (ART, animation/window/transition speeds, etc) to improve the S5. That's really the only thing about the M8 that appeals to me, but a few tenths of a second in app opening times isn't enough for me to give up all the other advantages the S5 holds over the M8.

Not really a stock answer mate, especially since I have the S5 and have had Samsung phones for the past few years! I just don't think (for me at least), that the inferior camera on the M8 was a dealbreaker.

I agree with you with regards to the S5 being more functional and this in my mind held a lot of weight as to the pros of the S5 over the M8. The removable back cover and battery is a big thing for me because I don't want the hassle of sending my mobile off if somehow it needed a new battery etc. The one thing that did play on my mind is how much quicker the M8 actually is and if it is only tenths of a second then tbh it doesn't really matter but the question in my mind is will that gap be accentuated after owning the devices for 12/24 months?

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

I like the M8, but I'm sold on wireless charging.

What is this wireless charging that everyone is talking about? Please fill me in. Thanks

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Not really a stock answer mate, especially since I have the S5 and have had Samsung phones for the past few years! I just don't think (for me at least), that the inferior camera on the M8 was a dealbreaker.

I agree with you with regards to the S5 being more functional and this in my mind held a lot of weight as to the pros of the S5 over the M8. The removable back cover and battery is a big thing for me because I don't want the hassle of sending my mobile off if somehow it needed a new battery etc. The one thing that did play on my mind is how much quicker the M8 actually is and if it is only tenths of a second then tbh it doesn't really matter but the question in my mind is will that gap be accentuated after owning the devices for 12/24 months?

I'm sure for a lot of people it's not a deal breaker, but it IS limited as a whole. When I judge phones, I try to look at it outside my own preference. That's why I believe the S5 is overall the better device. It checks off more boxes for more people. I'm a Nexus guy, but I like this phone for the display, camera, durability, and battery. That's a lot of positives.

And just like the S4 last year, updates will make the S5 quicker. The S4 is much faster now than it was at launch. So no worries on that front.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
^^^^^^

Isn't that subjective lol? Just look at Apple's customers. That's like me saying this smartphone rankings on a well known smartphone site is 100% how it is. It's all subjective my friend .

http://www.phonedog.com/rankings/smartphones/

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

I gave several reasons why I believe the S5 is better. Rather than disputing them in any way, I get "That's subjective". It all is. Why that word continues to come up is beyond me. If you disagree and have reasons on why, share them. Don't just get offended that I didn't choose the phone you bought.

kingvanimal

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

I gave several reasons why I believe the S5 is better. Rather than disputing them in any way, I get "That's subjective". It all is. Why that word continues to come up is beyond me. If you disagree and have reasons on why, share them. Don't just get offended that I didn't choose the phone you bought.

I have the S5 and the M8. That's why I am saying subjective. I like them for different reasons.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

What is this wireless charging that everyone is talking about? Please fill me in. Thanks

Many devices like the Nexus 5 and LG G2 include Qi wireless charging, allowing you to set the device on a charging pad to charge without plugging the device in.

It isn't standard in the GS5, but will come with a replacement back.

lattemaker

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

I just sold my M8 a few hours ago and about an hour ago I went and purchased a brand new S5 from AT&T. So far I'm really liking it, I had the S4 a while ago when it first came out and I loved that phone. Really the only thing I liked about the M8 was the Duo Camera, and the battery life way really good. I'll have to see how the battery life is on the S5, I'm hoping I'm not disappointed!

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

All I can say is after spending a week with my M8, I couldn't go back to a Samsung device if you paid me. It is truly an amazing phone. My roommate loves her S5, but keeps stealing my phone to watch videos and play trailers on my speakers. Oh man those speakers...just puts this phone over the top for me. Along with Zoe, customized Blinkfeed, and a smooth as glass UI, and I'm in love. Having played with the S5, it is also a great phone, it does take very sharp photos and the display is awesome. But reminds me too much of my S4. I wanted something different.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

Both, the Galaxy S5 and the HTC One M8 are powerful phones. I present to you my full comparison of both phone so you can make up your mind on which phone you think is better!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLMPJY7KL-8

Which one would you prefer, GALAXY S5 or HTC ONE M8? Please let me know down below!!

:)

It depends on what you are looking for in a smartphone.

MBM7881

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Many devices like the Nexus 5 and LG G2 include Qi wireless charging, allowing you to set the device on a charging pad to charge without plugging the device in.

It isn't standard in the GS5, but will come with a replacement back.

Oh that sounds great! Wouldn't mind having one for my S5. Any ideas on when its going to be released for the S5?

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site

I still like the Moto X the best size is most important plus this phone runs smooth as hell. If I was going to buy a new phone it would be an HTC M8 mini

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

judicious

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

But reminds me too much of my S4. I wanted something different.

I can resonate with this; one of the main reasons I wanted to get the M8 was the fact that although better in many respects, the S5 was still similar to my previous phone (S3). In the end though, I opted for the S5!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie