Galaxy S 5 Beep while charging

Jasburyy

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that while charging with a charger that is not supplied with the phone, there is the sound that the phone makes when you first plug into a charger, and then while charging, it beeps every so often.....I believe its because I'm charging with a 1A charger, instead of the new 2A charger, but Verizon told me they were backwards compatible. Im wondering if anyone else has experienced this? If so, is there a way to silence this alert?
Thanks!

Jeff Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I've got the same issue. When I charge at night with an old micro USB 2.0 (or is it 2.1A?) charger that it beeps every so often and at times turns the display back on. It's very irritating. If there's no way to fix this other than upgrading all my chargers for this phone to USB3, that doesn't seem very backwards compatible.

What I've noticed is if I bring up the "Battery" app, I see it change several times from "Charging" to "Not charging". Each time it beeps is when it goes from "Not charging" to "Charging". So obviously the S5 doesn't like these older non-USB3 chargers.

NismoZ

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The phone charges fine with a USB 2 cable hooked to the new Samsung charger that came with the phone. So, it doesn't matter the cable, it matters how many amps your charger is putting out.

Tom sK

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
The problem is that samsung needs to be charged with a USB connected to a samsung wall adapter. If you try to use an iPhone wall adapter, it will beep. It needs to be a samsung wall adapter or a computer.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that samsung needs to be charged with a USB connected to a samsung wall adapter. If you try to use an iPhone wall adapter, it will beep. It needs to be a samsung wall adapter or a computer.

My S5 does not seem to care what brand of power adapter is on the other end of the USB cord.

It does though, prefer to have one that sources 2.0 amps or more.

However, it will accept charges from much smaller power sources, but the rate of charge is just barely equal to what it takes to keep the phone battery from loosing more power.

I have a Qi wireless charging pad connected to my PC's USB port. The phone takes an instant charge as soon as the phone is laid down on that Qi pad. but, the charge rate is only about 1% per 1/4 hour... That in itself does not bother me, because my purpose for that charge pad next to my PC is to keep the phone alive while I am using a Bluetooth headset on extremely long conversations, and using the PC at the same time.

I have 3 charging pads, the other two are using the Samsung 2.1 amp a/c adapter. They charge at 750 mA which tops off the battery while I sleep. Works fine for me.

It has been a very long time since I connected the 2.1 amp a/c adapter to a USB cord direct to the phone, it just isn't necessary anymore with the Qi charger installed.

the wireless charging pads work great in the car. Just connect to the cigarette lighter plugin, throw a heavy rubber band around the phone/charging pad combo and drive away. Never ever, have any trouble breaking that USB port cover.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that while charging with a charger that is not supplied with the phone, there is the sound that the phone makes when you first plug into a charger, and then while charging, it beeps every so often.....I believe its because I'm charging with a 1A charger, instead of the new 2A charger, but Verizon told me they were backwards compatible. Im wondering if anyone else has experienced this? If so, is there a way to silence this alert?
Thanks!

I took care of this a long time ago on my S5.

Tonight, the why of it came back when I installed a Qi wireless charger card in the wife's phone. It has not needed charging in over a week. (she only answers calls, never makes calls, no toys, etc...) pix to follow.

I was snoozing pretty good when I became aware of a little notification chirp every two minutes at 01:30 AM and it would not stop. Okay, I'm awake now. I made some toast, opened a can of cola and started thinking.

Again, my 1st choice with most problems is MacroDroid, and so the fix was resolved tonight with MacroDroid once again. Just like it was on my S5 months ago, like back in April 2014...

In MacroDroid I created a macro that is set up like this:

Trigger: Power connected on/off
Selected ON
Action: Set Volume
Selected Notifications and System, both were set to null or zero
Right Arrow
Right Arrow again
Entered a name: Power ON, Sounds OFF
clicked OK and it went back to the main menu

Okay, that took care of being woke up when it reaches 100% charge again. I have already tested it to be sure it works. Now we need to reset things to normal or the phone won't be useful to us in a normal manner.

New Macro again

Trigger: Power connected on/off
Selected OFF
Action: Set Volume
Selected Notifications and System, both were reset to the normal volume levels
Right arrow
Right arrow again
entered a name: Power OFF, sounds normal
click OK and back to the main menu.

Now, no matter when the phone reaches a full 100% charge, it will not be turning on the screen, and it will not be beeping at my wife telling her to wake up. She gets awful pissed when I rain on her parade.

I hope this has helped you with your nocturnal irritations.

2 hints. On the first macro, instead of choosing Power connected on/off, you might wish to just select a "time of day" trigger which is what I did on my personal S5. On my phone, at 2200 hours, the phone goes dead quiet, nothing will wake that puppy up. Then I have a macro that I call "Set Awake Volume" and it does the same thing as the 2nd macro here does. It restores everything to normal as soon as I unlocked the phone. Here the trigger is Screen Unlocked instead of charger off.

oh, the wife's battery screenshot? here it is... again, this ain't going to be your normal battery use scenario. Reread how she uses her phone.

Attachments

• Battery 8 days 15 hrs.jpg
    Battery 8 days 15 hrs.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 11

AquaDoctor

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks!

You can actually go to Settings>Sound and Vibration and slide the Charging Sound to off.

Unfortunately my Note 5 has started to make the charging noise even whenit is NOT connected to the charger. Often the screen blacks out and closes apps. I'm going to have to break down and take it to a repair shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome