I'm going to have to scrap the S5 if I can't get my POP e-mail working, Help?

BubbaMac

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a four-year old HTC EVO 4G. I love it, but it doesn't have enough memory to support the numbers of applications I want in it, so I made the upgrade move to the Galaxy S5. To me the S5 is an amazing tool except for one CRITICAL problem ... I cannot for the life of me get my POP e-mail working on it. G-Mail works, but my regular e-mail does not.

My e-mail is provided by Bright House (domain cfl.rr.com). It works great on my PC and on my EVO, but not at all on my S5. I have checked the setup many times myself and with the Bright House technical support folks on the line. The set-up is (or certainly seems to be) correct. Bright House technical support said since they only have a few set-up parameters and I have them all set the same on the two different devices, and the EVO is working, it must be a device issue and I should go back to my device provider (my carrier ... Sprint) and get them to address the problem. The guys in my Sprint store are pretty knowledgeable but after half an hour or so they gave up trying and said it must be a Bright House issue. All I know is that, with everything else being the same, e-mail works on one device and not on the other. So, unless the mere presence of one device precludes the use of another one, I've got to assume that the S5 just ain't gonna work.

When I set up the parameters for the incoming server I get a little message window that pops up that says "Checking incoming server settings" and quickly goes away. The same thing happens when I set up the out going server, "Checking outgoing server settings". When I go into my e-mail, compose a message and send it, I get a message back that says "Send failed". No other error message or code. When I open my e-mail like I would if I wanted to read my e-mail I see the e-,mail icon in the middle of the screen with a caption under it that says "No emails", and an 'explanation' below that that says, "You may have emails that have not yet been retrieved from the server." Really?

If I can't get this thing working by Sunday evening, it's going back Monday morning ... but I'd rather get it running.

Help? Anyone?

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
There are a number of third party email apps that support Pop accounts. Is try the before giving up.

Posted via Android Central App

brothamoveson

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
If all else fails contact Samsung I've talked with their tech support in the pay on similar issues and the were able to help.

jordo487

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a four-year old HTC EVO 4G. I love it, but it doesn't have enough memory to support the numbers of applications I want in it, so I made the upgrade move to the Galaxy S5. To me the S5 is an amazing tool except for one CRITICAL problem ... I cannot for the life of me get my POP e-mail working on it. G-Mail works, but my regular e-mail does not.

My e-mail is provided by Bright House (domain cfl.rr.com). It works great on my PC and on my EVO, but not at all on my S5. I have checked the setup many times myself and with the Bright House technical support folks on the line. The set-up is (or certainly seems to be) correct. Bright House technical support said since they only have a few set-up parameters and I have them all set the same on the two different devices, and the EVO is working, it must be a device issue and I should go back to my device provider (my carrier ... Sprint) and get them to address the problem. The guys in my Sprint store are pretty knowledgeable but after half an hour or so they gave up trying and said it must be a Bright House issue. All I know is that, with everything else being the same, e-mail works on one device and not on the other. So, unless the mere presence of one device precludes the use of another one, I've got to assume that the S5 just ain't gonna work.

When I set up the parameters for the incoming server I get a little message window that pops up that says "Checking incoming server settings" and quickly goes away. The same thing happens when I set up the out going server, "Checking outgoing server settings". When I go into my e-mail, compose a message and send it, I get a message back that says "Send failed". No other error message or code. When I open my e-mail like I would if I wanted to read my e-mail I see the e-,mail icon in the middle of the screen with a caption under it that says "No emails", and an 'explanation' below that that says, "You may have emails that have not yet been retrieved from the server." Really?

If I can't get this thing working by Sunday evening, it's going back Monday morning ... but I'd rather get it running.

Help? Anyone?

I have found, that a lot of email will let you set it up as exchange, rather then pop, I would try that.

BubbaMac

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
There are a number of third party email apps that support Pop accounts. Is try the before giving up.

This was a great idea and I followed up on it. I downloaded the Benstar 'myMail' app. (it had a five-start rating and it was free). IT WORKED! So, I might not have to take the S5 back after all. I'll be able to handle my regular e-mail through this new program while I work toward getting the Samsung provided one fixed. And even if I never get it fixed, maybe I can find an email client out there somewhere that looks enough like my HTC EVO 4G maile client to become my new email client of choice. Thanks, again! Great idea.

BubbaMac

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
If all else fails contact Samsung I've talked with their tech support in the pay on similar issues and the were able to help.

Yeah, That probably should have been my first call after Bright House gave up. (I wonder if the email client the HTC EVO 4G uses is available for download and if it would run in the S5) Heck, I've never even seen the Samsung app in operation. I probably shouldn't get so worked up over it. It is, after all, just an app. I'll give Samsung a shot at fixing it but now that I've downloaded an email client that works I won't be worrying about the Samsung app so much. Thank you.

Thank you all, very much. If I find out anything from Samsung about their app and how to make it work, I'll post back.

psp1232171

May 9, 2011
Visit site
One of my work emails only sends emails through 3/4G not wifi. I get the same message. Since I have another exchange email I know it's the crappy work servers that don't let me send because my other email works fine. Maybe show it to the IT guy at work?

mhponty

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have the same problem. had the S5 last Friday on the phone to Samsung on the Monday. In fairness they have downloaded the phone log everyday this week to try and sort it out, I have even made them a test email account so they can try it on their S5 in the Call centre. I have also got a Samsung Tab, Note and S4 and my emails work fine on all of them.
Will let you all know when they have an answer for me.

Cheers

Serge tkint

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Same issue here.
I see several email in the inbox (laptop) but the Android can't retrieve them anymore.
It was working fine.

I guess dropping and recreating the account on the S5 might help.

eknollmeyer

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I have had exactly the same problem. I've spent 3+ hours with Verizon tech support and even downloaded the K-9 Email app and none of it has helped. I'll probably return the phone, which I've only had since Monday, on Friday when I return home. This is entirely too frustrating. Other than the email issue, I do like the Galaxy S5.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
This was a great idea and I followed up on it. I downloaded the Benstar 'myMail' app. (it had a five-start rating and it was free). IT WORKED! So, I might not have to take the S5 back after all. I'll be able to handle my regular e-mail through this new program while I work toward getting the Samsung provided one fixed. And even if I never get it fixed, maybe I can find an email client out there somewhere that looks enough like my HTC EVO 4G maile client to become my new email client of choice. Thanks, again! Great idea.
+1000

The MyMail app (free in Play Store) is simply wonderful. So simple to set up and gorgeous graphics with lots of flexibility on how you handle your mail. I LOVE it.

So much better than the native email app that came with the phone it isn't even funny. I disabled the native email app as soon as I had MyMail up and running (which took all of 15 seconds BTW).

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I have had exactly the same problem. I've spent 3+ hours with Verizon tech support and even downloaded the K-9 Email app and none of it has helped. I'll probably return the phone, which I've only had since Monday, on Friday when I return home. This is entirely too frustrating. Other than the email issue, I do like the Galaxy S5.
I have two (three?) words for you: "MyMial app."

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear about everyone's POP accounts not working. I also have the S5 with 3 POP email accounts and 1 Gmail account. The Verizon store rep set up all my email accounts and everything is working fine. I'm not crazy about the default email client on the S5 so I have looked into other email clients. Found K-9 which supports POP and tried it out and it worked fine. I also tried Outlook.com email app and that supports POP which worked fine for me. Both email apps have features that I like and don't like....so at this point just trying out some email clients to see what will work best for me. Blue Mail will be supporting POP accounts soon plus all your other email accounts (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc). I did try it out for my Gmail account and really liked it. A lot of options and customizations. As soon as they release the support of POP accounts I will be using Blue Mail. Oh yes.....they have excellent customer service and answered all my questions in a very timely manner.

So.... these are my views and experience with POP accounts. All of the above mentioned email apps I found in the the Google Play Store.

EDIT: Sometimes deleting an email account and setting it up again may solve some issues.

Last edited:

JMac7

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone with a Verizon account. Email from Earthlink is not getting to me although I can send ok. It syncs fine manually and every 15 minutes all day. Than, at 7:28 pm it stops syncing and the only way I can get my mail is to delete the account and add it again. All settings are accurate. I have talked to tech support at Verizon, Earthlink, and Samsung. Nobody has been able to figure it out. I also turned off peak hours and allow downloading on both wi fi and 4G. What next? Thought it was a setting or one of the virus scanning apps. Deleted virus scanners. No change. Is anybody NOT having this issue? Perhaps we could compare settings.

Domenic75

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Quick question on how you setup the app, when I click Other Mail it wants me to login, so I put my email and password in and it tells me it is incorrect. The app never lets me enter in any of my POP settings, do you know how to do this? Their website says that it should direct you to a setup page if your email is not auto configured.

Domenic75

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site

Quick question on how you setup the app, when I click Other Mail it wants me to login, so I put my email and password in and it tells me it is incorrect. The app never lets me enter in any of my POP settings, do you know how to do this? Their website says that it should direct you to a setup page if your email is not auto configured.

JMac7

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with MyMail, BlueMail, etc. Won't take my POP settings. Is POP3 something different than POP? Could that be it? The problematical account is Earthlink.

In general, I think it's safe to say that the app that comes with the phone is messed up. I am now getting my mail but, after a week of smooth sailing, it again would not sync with my POP account. Crashed it, added it back, and it now works. Temporarily. Then yesterday, for the first time, my Outlook account that was working smoothly also began having problems. I wonder if this is related to some background function that is hard or impossible to get to. Perhaps it conflicts with the email app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer