Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hls811
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone have a list of Apps/Services that can be safely turned off?

Does anyone have a listing of the Apps/Services that can be safely turned off? I am not rooted yet so I am just using the Turn Off Feature on Verizon Crapware and other Apps that cannot be uninstalled. I was wondering if anyone had a list of programs\services that are safe to turn off on the S5?

Thanks,
    Dean

Global Posts
    1,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

Default Re: Anyone have a list of Apps/Services that can be safely turned off?

I disabled TouchWiz because I use Apex Launcher. I turned off Samsung keyboard because I use SwiftKe. I disabled all the AT&T crapwear, Beats Music and a bunch of Samsung bloatware. It all comes down to what YOU use on your phone.
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I disabled TouchWiz because I use Apex Launcher. I turned off Samsung keyboard because I use SwiftKe. I disabled all the AT&T crapwear, Beats Music and a bunch of Samsung bloatware. It all comes down to what YOU use on your phone.
    I know it is about personal preferences but I only have one widget and not as much free RAM as I used to have on my S3. I know I can turn off the VZW navigator, and the rest of their apps and some others but someone always posts a complete list of apps/services/system processes which can be disabled. Once I get around to rooting my S5, I will run Titanium Backup and a startup manager that allows me to freeze and stop apps that are needed from loading when they don't need to load such as bootup, coming out of standby, etc. I am just looking for a complete list of apps that can be disabled. I am still working on disabling apps but I will post a listing of safe apps to turn off when I get further and also system processes not necessary if no one else has posted it by then.

I use Swiftkey also and it is on my tablet, second cell phone, and all my family's devices too! Swiftkey deserves all the props as it is the best keyboard ever IMO.

Dean

I opted not to use my swiftkey. I really like the dedicated row of numbers. they also serve as shortcuts for text. I did d/l the gmsa battery app. it shows some apps I really never use, using my battery. bam... they are now gone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

I use Swiftkey and there's a dedicated row for numbers.

Regarding RAM Please read the below article for a better explanation.

http://www.androidcentral.com/ram-wh...-shouldnt-care

I found it interesting.

Posted via Android Central App

hmmmm. now I have to look!

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C;3588921[B
    ]I disabled TouchWiz because I use Apex Launcher[/B]. I turned off Samsung keyboard because I use SwiftKe. I disabled all the AT&T crapwear, Beats Music and a bunch of Samsung bloatware. It all comes down to what YOU use on your phone.
    Disabled TouchWiz?? How do you do that??

I've been thinking of going back to Nova Launcher but was actually quite surprised how usable TW is and didn't want to double up on processing if TW was just going to run in the background.. How do you disable TW?
    tomothy94 likes this.

swiftkey beta has the row of numbers.... not the one I bought. (yet)

Screen time is 4hr17 at the minute with 31 percent remaining

Quote Originally Posted by hls811 View Post
    Disabled TouchWiz?? How do you do that??

I've been thinking of going back to Nova Launcher but was actually quite surprised how usable TW is and didn't want to double up on processing if TW was just going to run in the background.. How do you disable TW?
    I would also like to know how one would disable touchwiz as I imagine it would massively increase the phones performance if it were turned off
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by here4kids View Post
    swiftkey beta has the row of numbers.... not the one I bought. (yet)

Thanks for the heads up on this, I have owned the paid version for years but downloaded the latest beta for the row of numbers. I guess I will have to turn off the arrows because the keyboard takes up a little too much space but this should have been an option in Swiftkey from Day 1.

Also, I did switch to Nova launcher and while I now have 4 extra icons for screen, I hate to say it but I feel like the TW is superior and faster and I never thought I would say that,

Do you guys always hichjack people's threads? Answer the OP or make a new thread on Android keyboards ☺

Quote Originally Posted by Cpmonster View Post
    Do you guys always hichjack people's threads? Answer the OP or make a new thread on Android keyboards ☺
    Agree. The OP actually is a good question, would also like to see some answers to that.

post is from April. we were excited new owners. so sorry!

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Seven months later and Still no answer to the OP.