Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best Cradle/Dock for S5

Does anyone have a cradle for their S5? Unfortunately due to USB 3.0, I can no longer use my favorite cradle/dock which I plugged my phone into and it charged it and held it up as my alarm clock. It also had a back part that charged a second battery which alaso has changed. I use Allarm Clock Plus and have the time Shown in Blue and move around when docked to prevent burn-in.

I ordered a inexpensive Stand for the S5 off Amazon which holds the phone at the right angle but does not have the charge built in so I just plug it into my USB 3.0 plug and set it on the cradle. It is not ideal but will do for now.

I am hoping someone comes out with a cradle/dock for the S5 soon that has enough room to plug it in even if you have a thin case on your phone like the one I have for the S3. It would be great too if they make one that also charges a second battery. I could care less about speaker outputs because I use Bluetooth speakers for everything these days.

If anyone has a recommendation on a S5 cradle then please share!

Thanks,
    Dean

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Default Re: Best Cradle/Dock for S5

A Wireless Charging Folio Cover will soon be made available from ATT. It will be exactly like the present Folio Cover but will come with a wireless emitting base to charge the phone without connecting the USB 3.0 Charging / Connecting cable.

You want horizontal, right?
    I just saw 2 on amazon, but they are vertical holders. Didn't see one for an alarm clock horizontal holder. I'm sure one will pop up. That's how people watch videos too.

I might get one. I have a genetic dock at work but doesn't support bottom charging. Of course I don't need to charge S5 as much as my old phone.

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
    A Wireless Charging Folio Cover will soon be made available from ATT. It will be exactly like the present Folio Cover but will come with a wireless emitting base to charge the phone without connecting the USB 3.0 Charging / Connecting cable.
    I bought a inexpensive clear case that has a built in kickstand with it. It is actually the best looking case because it does not change the look of the phone much and the kickstand is great. I am real weary of the charging stands they advertise now for the S5 because in the picture many show USB 2.0 Micro connectors. I am going to use my kickstand for now and wait until a good quality dock comes out. I want one really designed for the S5 to hold it up vertically and easy to plug in with some extra space for a thin case.

Dean

Why does the usb3 prevent the use of your stand. For me it's the flap and lining it up.
    Regular micro usb works just fine, pain in the *** to line up in a dock though.
    Does the phone have a dock screen? Used my gs3 dock with a case daily but it doesn't work for **** with this phone, the flap and trying to line it up is a pain

Quote Originally Posted by JS_racer View Post
    Why does the usb3 prevent the use of your stand. For me it's the flap and lining it up.
    Regular micro usb works just fine, pain in the *** to line up in a dock though.
    Does the phone have a dock screen? Used my gs3 dock with a case daily but it doesn't work for **** with this phone, the flap and trying to line it up is a pain
    This is why I don't like docks on Android phones. They are such a pain to dock. One thing Apple got right was their connectors (proprietary or not). Seamless docking. I had one dock last year for my S4 and after a month of use the port was all scratched up.

I've used charging docks, with a slot for an extra battery, by RND for both S3 & S4 & have never had a problem.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337) using Tapatalk Pro

I purchased a Qi wireless charging pad and circuit card that sticks to S5 battery. I got on Ebay for $19 with free shipping. works great. maybe you could just sit on the Amazon stand.

What I really like is now I don't worry about opening & closing the USB3 port cover.

Black QI Standard Wireless Charger Charging Pad+Receiver For Samsung Galaxy S5
    |
    More than 10 available / 127 sold
    Price:US $18.99 Buy another
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by John Nicastro Sr View Post
    I purchased a Qi wireless charging pad and circuit card that sticks to S5 battery. I got on Ebay for $19 with free shipping. works great. maybe you could just sit on the Amazon stand.

What I really like is now I don't worry about opening & closing the USB3 port cover.

Black QI Standard Wireless Charger Charging Pad+Receiver For Samsung Galaxy S5
    |
    More than 10 available / 127 sold
    Price:US $18.99 Buy another
    The Qi chargers charge too slow for my taste. I use a 4.8a charger both in my car and in the USB plugs I installed in the house. I have 4.8 marked with red while the rest are 2.4a,

It took forever to charge my Nexus 7 on the Qi as that was the first phone I owned with the Qi built in, I sometimes used the Qi stations at airports just to juice my Tablet up some more especially is a layover somewhere, I went ahead and purchased 5 different USB 3,0 cables just before bought my phone as I only had two that came with USB 3.0 portable hard drives.

Qi is like WIFI in it is easier to connect to but gavubg a CAT-5 cable plugged in akways gives you a better internet connection,

Dean