Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default charging in car via USB issue.

My new car only has USB charging. Never had issues with my iPhone. But I noticed remarkable slower charging time with my S5. Drove 40 mins today only charged 4%, I'm using the cord it came with.
    I tried searching, seemed the only answer is the car not putting enough voltage out, but I don't think that's the case since it charged my iPhone very quick.
    Anyone have any other charging options for the car?
    Thanks
    JJ

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: charging in car via USB issue.

I'm having the same trouble, just moved over from iphone which never had problems charging in my car or truck via usb cable and adapter for cigarette lighter socket.

I drive about 6 hrs a day in my truck so took GS5 out on Tuesday to give it a good first charge, blue light was on and after about 3 hrs charge it had only gone from 54% to 74% and then it actually dropped down to 69% even though I hadn't even used it. Only charged 1% in my car on the 30 min drive home from work. Thought I was going to have to return it.

I think the S5 phone thinks it is charging from a USB data port, as opposed to a charger. As a result, the charger is only drawing .5Amps. I tried to find an article that explains it, and found this link for a review of a charger. If you go to the bottom of the article, it has a good explanation of what is happening.

The Best USB Car Charger | The Wirecutter
    disposable fun and atishc like this.

Thanks for that info, that may be just the thing.

Global Posts
    271 Global Posts

Not sure if you are using a Samsung charger, but when my last provider-branded car charger failed, I bought the Samsung charger and its lightning fast. Charged my S4 and now my S5 about 10% every 20 minutes.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

I think charger ports are also optimized for Apple and Android. If you try to charge Android device with Apple port, it might not do AC charge speed.