How many are waiting for the Galaxy S5 Lifeproof case to be released?

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Are waiting for the lifeproof cases to be released? I have never had an opportunity to use one before because the only phones I have had that could use them were the S3 and S4, but already had another phone before they came out. Worth it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

marrzie

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
What are you guys doing to your phones that requires a case that weighs a pound and a half and almost an inch thick. Ok maybe not that much. Never used life proof but the otter box defender I have used added a huge amount of bulk and weight. I would look for something a bit more compact. To each his own I guess. Good luck.

ahutchga1972

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
The otter box defender isn't that thick for the s5. I bought my husband one and a defender for my M8. Both cases were surprisingly thinner than OBD products in the past.

Posted via Android Central App

Sara Di

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I had one on my iPhone 4S and wouldn't be without it on that phone. On this one, if I found a good enough deal I would probably go for it but I don't feel it's as necessary. I put a tempered glass screen protector on my phone and keep it in a case.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I like the new NUDE series, because I can use a regular screen protector with the life proof protection. The S4 Lifeproof are nice.

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
hopefully not much longer. I'm on the list, but since the phone itself is supposedly water and dust resistant, I may not get it. My son has the new nuud one on his iPhone, and I joked that he can never take it off since he's a clutz.... I guess we'll have to just wait and see.

davedog

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I was considering the lifeproof case for the gs5 but it is already water & dust resistant, So I went with The Recon Carbon Fiber Case by Element Case for the gs5.
The case is Made of Genuine Aerospace grade Carbon Fiber along with duel density Tpu/polycarbonate polymer chassis with a (SBS) Sound Boost System to re-direct
the Speaker Sound to the front of the phone. Definitely Worth looking into & They are available now. Element Case Recon offers 4 styles To Choose From. Recon Chroma, Recon Carbon Fiber, Recon Pro & the Recon Pro Black ops. Check it out there pretty sweet cases !

davedog

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Was considering the lifeproof case but the gs5 is already water & dust resistant so I Went with the Recon Carbon Fiber Case by Element case. You should check out the Recon series cases by Element case. 4 to choose from. the Chroma, the carbon fiber, the Pro & the Pro Black ops ! There pretty sweet cases with a sound boost system (SBS) to re-direct the Speaker Sound to the front of the phone.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Was considering the lifeproof case but the gs5 is already water & dust resistant so I Went with the Recon Carbon Fiber Case by Element case. You should check out the Recon series cases by Element case. 4 to choose from. the Chroma, the carbon fiber, the Pro & the Pro Black ops ! There pretty sweet cases with a sound boost system (SBS) to re-direct the Speaker Sound to the front of the phone.

Do you have a link to said case? Does it have a belt clip/hostler option by chance?

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
We had the Lifeproof cases for our iPhone 5's and they were complete garbage. The sound was muffled, nobody could hear you talk and the plastic screen cover caused a rainbow effect that drove us insane.
I'll pass on future Lifeproof cases.

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I had numerous lifeproof cases on several different phones. NEVER had an issue. I just had one on my GS3 and zero problems it's still on the phone where it's been since the case came out. I've picked up the Element Recon CF davedog referenced above supposed to be here tomorrow or Saturday. Anyway Right now I'm using the Otterbox Defender for work and a Spigen tough armor for everyday use. I wouldn't write Lifeproof off completely, another thing to remember is Lifeproof is now owned by otterbox so we could see improvements or problems in the future. Just my 2 cents.

davedog

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Right on bogdaryl ! I've used the Otterbox Commuter case pretty much exclusively rotating with the Spigen & Element case over the past 2 Years. Just Recently picked up the GS5
& Think the Element Recon Carbon Fiber case for the GS5 with the (SBS) is going to be a hit. A little pricey but you pay for what you get for sure protecting a almost $700 phone.
I am going to wait to read some reviews about the Lifeproof case when they finally come out for the GS5 then I can make a decision later on.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
We had the Lifeproof cases for our iPhone 5's and they were complete garbage. The sound was muffled, nobody could hear you talk and the plastic screen cover caused a rainbow effect that drove us insane.
I'll pass on future Lifeproof cases.

The Nude series fixed the issues you mentioned above from what I have read.

LJ Washington

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
$99.00 is a bit high. Can you tell me what you get for double or triple for other cases of this style? I just don't see where the value is.
IMO you should never pay over $50 for a case unless you get real hand made leather.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
$99.00 is a bit high. Can you tell me what you get for double or triple for other cases of this style? I just don't see where the value is.
IMO you should never pay over $50 for a case unless you get real hand made leather.

It's completely waterproof. That is main different. People go diving with these cases on (although I don't know if I would push it that far, but it has been done), and it has a one year warranty that if your phone does receive water damage while in the case lifeproof will not only replace the case but the phone as well. There isn't really another style case like these other than the Preserver series from Otterbox, and one made by Atlas (which failed), neither have come close to the success of Lifeproof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781