Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android4life

Default Which Messaging app do you use?

I want to use Hangouts, however in the past every time I would get a voicemail I would get a text through Hangouts, which didn't happen on the stock messaging app or Verizon Messages.

Default Re: Which Messaging app do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    I want to use Hangouts, however in the past every time I would get a voicemail I would get a text through Hangouts, which didn't happen on the stock messaging app or Verizon Messages.
    Handscent. Was using stock and tetra for a while but I keep going back to handscent. I like the popup on top of the pattern lockscreen. I use whatsapp a little bit as well.

Posted via Android Central App

I love go SMS. It was the only app where I could figure out how to set individual people with different ringtones.

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts

Was using Go Sms but switched back to stock. Also use hangouts and Whatsapp for IM.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

I want to use another app for Messaging. I am a recent convert to android from IOS. One nice feature of the IOS IM app is that if you are in a conversation with someone it wont keep giving you an audible alert every time you get a new message. In android it seems to alert you to every message that comes in. This is unnecessary when you are watching the screen and seeing the messages come in. Is there an app for android that does this?

Quote Originally Posted by JJM1975 View Post
    I want to use another app for Messaging. I am a recent convert to android from IOS. One nice feature of the IOS IM app is that if you are in a conversation with someone it wont keep giving you an audible alert every time you get a new message. In android it seems to alert you to every message that comes in. This is unnecessary when you are watching the screen and seeing the messages come in. Is there an app for android that does this?
    You can set the way you want or don't want notifications in Textra, and probably most other texting apps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

I set the notification Pop-Up on for the standard text app. I have no issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJM1975 View Post
    You can configure audible alert with GO SMS. Check out the screen shot. Which Messaging app do you use?-uploadfromtaptalk1397916234778.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I'm using Go SMS, I like being able to customize the background of my texts. I couldn't stand the colors of Verizon Messenger.

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emilioaponte View Post
    You can configure audible alert with GO SMS. Check out the screen shot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397916234778.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	113572

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    I don't think this is quite what the request was for, as your screen shot only references in call options and not in app ones. Are there additional settings that specifically refer to audible alerts while IN the messaging app?

Stock app for me. I actually really like it!

I'm rolling with the stock app. I love the priority contacts feature and the app itself is really customizable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sydneycooper1979 View Post
    I'm rolling with the stock app. I love the priority contacts feature and the app itself is really customizable.

When you say stock app do you mean the Samsung one or your carriers?

Hangouts. I do a lot of g-chatting, too, so it's nice to have it all in one place.

Samsung

Verizon Messages... I can send and receive texts on my S5, iPad, Chromebook, Windows PC, and Macbook. No fees or subscriptions. Has priority contacts on the S5. Normally not a big fan with Verizon apps. But this one is the best SMS app I have used in terms of flexibility.

If you are on Verizon and want to send and receive texts across all your devices, you should really give it a try.

Whatsapp and FB messenger.

Global Posts
    5,193 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I use the stock app for most texting, but also use BBM and WhatsApp.
    "In God we trust....all others we investigate".

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol".

Quote Originally Posted by jonebk12 View Post
    Hangouts. I do a lot of g-chatting, too, so it's nice to have it all in one place.
    This!

Been using Evolve SMS for a while. Thinking about switching back over to Hello though.

Global Posts
    943 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Was using Hangouts, but got tired to f it always having to wade through all my g+ circles.

Using Hello SMS now and it is great.

Has an option to send pics by data connection instead of MMS that helps me out tremendously.

"Give it time. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. You are only here to serve the green R2D2. posted by HKM"

If someone helps you find an answer, please Thank them with the button in their post.

Is anyone using Hover Chat? How do you like it? I tried it out for a short bit but did not like the delay in shooting out a text. Looks nice that's for sure.

I've always used ChompSMS and probably always will. I like the customization on the quick reply .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetypie31 View Post
    I love go SMS. It was the only app where I could figure out how to set individual people with different ringtones.

In case you want to know...in stock go to person's contact page scroll down and press Add another field...check message tone. Ta-da.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted debloated FP5

I'm using the stock Samsung app because I like the notification badge on the icon. I got used to it with iOS on an iPhone 4 and have trouble letting it go. I used Textra and like it but went back because of that badge.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast