Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By haiiyaa
  • 1 Post By ffejjj
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Pink spot on photos?

Anyone else getting this? These photos are taken with 2 different samsung galaxy s5 devices and with everything on auto

They are taken with curtains drawn in the morning, with light coming through the curtains.

Pink spot on photos?-20140419_072619.jpg
    Pink spot on photos?-20140419_072530.jpg
    Pink spot on photos?-20140419_072459.jpg

Aside for this I'm very happy with the photo and video quality

EDIT
    Now I have tested it all day and I have found out what is needed to recreate this problem.

1. It needs to be indoor
    2. It needs to be under NATURAL light conditions
    3. It needs to be during sunset when it's starting to get dim(NOT when it's already dark), sunrise when it's still dim OR later during the day with curtains drawn and NATURAL sunlight shining through the curtains

This makes me quite sure it has something to do with the white balance being off. I hope more people will test this so we can find out of it's a general problem or it's just a bad batch
    Last edited by haiiyaa; 04-19-2014 at 05:44 PM.
    Tony Chan likes this.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Pink spot on photos?

I would very much appreciate if anyone would test their galaxy s5 in similar conditions and post photos
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I guess I'm the only one with this problem. The pinkish/red spot can also be seen in video. I have tried changing white balance and that doesn't work either

Should I return both my devices? If anyone can confirm they have the same problem, I will keep them since it will mean that my phones are not defective and that it's probally just something that can be fixed with a software update

Does this show up on outdoor photos too?

Quote Originally Posted by haiiyaa View Post
    I guess I'm the only one with this problem. The pinkish/red spot can also be seen in video. I have tried changing white balance and that doesn't work either

Should I return both my devices? If anyone can confirm they have the same problem, I will keep them since it will mean that my phones are not defective and that it's probally just something that can be fixed with a software update
    My feeling is that it shouldn't be on you to have to trouble shoot a brand new device. Take them back and test the 2 new ones at the store. That's what I would do.
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador
    here4kids likes this.

Here are some photos in similar conditions (kinda low light but not really, indoor with light coming in through curtains and an incandescent light but its not very light in here)

I can't see any pink spots on mine but not sure - I had a similar issue on a phone a long time ago except that the spot was green rather than pink. Pink spot on photos?-20140419_184429.jpg

The yellow/blue blobs here are the colour of the mattress under the sheet

Pink spot on photos?-20140419_194017.jpg]

white piece of card to test again

Yes I would definitely go back to the store and ask for a replacement, provide images if you have to and show ours in comparison i guess? If both phones are the same and from the same store they could have a faulty batch, which means that there is a faulty batch somewhere - definitely ask for a replacement and test the new ones before you leave, if they're the same say you want one from another of their shops
    Last edited by tomothy94; 04-19-2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: captioning pics & more words??
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Xm_jdm View Post
    Does this show up on outdoor photos too?
    Not at all. This only happens in certain conditions like the one i explained. It only happens in the morning or evening when it's starting to get dark/light, or with curtains drawn. I just tested and it goes away when I turn on the lights
    Pink spot on photos?-20140419_205541.jpg
    Pink spot on photos?-20140419_205552.jpg
    Pink spot on photos?-20140419_205607.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    My feeling is that it shouldn't be on you to have to trouble shoot a brand new device. Take them back and test the 2 new ones at the store. That's what I would do.
    They are bought at 2 different places online. Since the problem on occurs in certain situations i think it's a software issue
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by tomothy94 View Post
    Here are some photos in similar conditions (kinda low light but not really, indoor with light coming in through curtains and an incandescent light but its not very light in here)

I can't see any pink spots on mine but not sure - I had a similar issue on a phone a long time ago except that the spot was green rather than pink.

The yellow/blue blobs here are the colour of the mattress under the sheet

white piece of card to test again

Yes I would definitely go back to the store and ask for a replacement, provide images if you have to and show ours in comparison i guess? If both phones are the same and from the same store they could have a faulty batch, which means that there is a faulty batch somewhere - definitely ask for a replacement and test the new ones before you leave, if they're the same say you want one from another of their shops
    The light look a bit different in yours. Did you use flash?

Here are some now with lights from my monitor only. Again the problem is gone
    Pink spot on photos?-20140419_211523.jpg
    Pink spot on photos?-20140419_211318.jpg

Having seen similar issues before I actually would think it is a hardware issue, it is caused by low light but a software update would not be able to enable the lens to correct itself if it is faulty as far as I know
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Having seen similar issues before I actually would think it is a hardware issue, it is caused by low light but a software update would not be able to enable the lens to correct itself if it is faulty as far as I know
    If it was a hardware issue wouldn't it be on all pictures in all situations?

I don't think so as the problem is due to low light, which could mean that the lenses or the light sensor is faulty and would not be fixable with a firmware update. are both of the phones running the exact same version of the software? Which is it?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I don't think so as the problem is due to low light, which could mean that the lenses or the light sensor is faulty and would not be fixable with a firmware update. are both of the phones running the exact same version of the software? Which is it?
    It's both phones bought from different carriers. Both are running android 4.4.2

The problem actually goes away when it's really low light as seen here. These photos are taken with only light from my monitor
    Pink spot on photos?-20140419_211523.jpg
    Pink spot on photos?-20140419_211318.jpg
    Pink spot on photos?-20140419_211308.jpg
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Now I have tested it all day and I have found out what is needed to recreate this problem.

1. It needs to be indoor
    2. It needs to be under NATURAL light conditions
    3. It needs to be during sunset when it's starting to get dim(NOT when it's already dark), sunrise when it's still dim OR later during the day with curtains drawn and NATURAL sunlight shining through the curtains

This makes me quite sure it has something to do with the white balance being off. I hope more people will test this so we can find out of it's a general problem or it's just a bad batch
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Seems like it isn't a galaxy s5 issue at all. I was able to reproduce the exact same problem with my ipad 4

Pink spot on photos?-photo-4.jpg
    Pink spot on photos?-photo-3-1-.jpg
    Pink spot on photos?-photo-2-1-.jpg

I have the same issue on my Nexus 5. I noticed it just now when trying to take close-ups of my sofa to sell it online. Pink spot on photos?-img_20140517_155208.jpg
    Pink spot on photos?-img_20140517_155055.jpg
    Pink spot on photos?-img_20140517_155042.jpg
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by justkelly View Post
    I have the same issue on my Nexus 5. I noticed it just now when trying to take close-ups of my sofa to sell it online. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140517_155208.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	632.4 KB 
ID:	118717
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140517_155055.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	548.7 KB 
ID:	118718
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140517_155042.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	996.8 KB 
ID:	118719
    I tested it on the following phones and tablets

samsung galaxy s5
    samsung galaxy s4
    iphone 4s
    ipad 4

all of them having the same problem, some of them more pronounced. My mirrorless camera doesn't seem to have this issue though, but it seems to be an issue on all phones and tablets

The pink spot was hard to see on the black pus sy
    cat . Maybe indoor lighting compensation is the problem.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Most galaxies do this i have noticed. Pink in bright light and sometimes greyish green in darker light.Mainly on close ups and only indoors.
    Mine does it.My S4 did it and also my wifes S3.
    Really the only thing that ****s me about samsungs.Fix it allready samsung lol.

Only shows up when the flash is not used.

Iphone 5s has no problem.
    Last edited by mwboost; 05-19-2014 at 12:10 AM.

I posted about this quite a while ago on xda.... no1 took me up on it...but I have the issue too... only indoors in semi poor lighting...stick the flash on and it's gone.... i was going to swap my s5 as I thought it was faulty. ..but then due to all my issues swapping m8s I decided not too

Sent from my SM-G900F using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

I figured taking a photo in that light without the flash will probably be crappy anyways, So i just use the flash.

I have the same problem with my Nexus 5. I can confirm that the natural light conditions are key to producing the effect.

It's extremely strange that the problem ranges over different manufacturers. At first I thought I just had a defective Nexus 5 unit. Now I wonder which underlying mechanism is causing this problem in all these devices. Very disappointing either way; makes it really hard to get accurate colors in photos.